This year continues to be the "gift" that just keeps on giving. If you visit here on a (semi)regular basis you know that this year has brought a LOT of things for my family to deal with. As of yesterday we've added one more.
Cancer.
I received a diagnosis of endometrial cancer yesterday. It is early stages, what they call 1C. Still, my oncologist (yes, I have one of those now) is not wasting any time. I got blood work and an EKG before I left the hospital yesterday. I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy on August 27. My pre-operative appointment with my PCP is next Friday. I am waiting for them to call and tell me when they schedule me for a full-body CT scan.
Whew.
The scan is important as it should show whether or not there is cancer anywhere else. If there is, my treatment schedule will change as I will have to do chemo before surgery. My doctor doesn't think this is likely, but we have to check. If the scan shows nothing then I will just have to have some radiation after the surgery.
It's kind of weird how life is the same today and yet totally different.
I spoke to my work and told a few people there. The HR person wasn't in today so I still need to see her and figure things out. I will have to be off at least 4-6 weeks.
My husband is being very supportive, an absolute rock and has already asked for the days I have the surgery and follow up off.
My daughter is doing what she does best, talking about it with all the family and digging and researching online.
My mom still has her hands full with my stepdad and can barely manage that. Her stress levels have been on the rise again since he came home a week ago. I know she cares and is worried, but she doesn't have it in her to be supportive right now.
My sisters-in-law and nieces have circled the wagons and come out in force to offer support. I have to admit it's kind of surreal reading the family texts and it's all about me and my health.
I haven't gone "public" anywhere else. My daughter asked if I was announcing it on Facebook. I told her no, not yet, anyway. Maybe I will when I have a better idea of how things are going to go.
I'm not afraid. I trust the Lord to take care of me. Still, I'm kind of over 2026 at this point.
I will be using the blog to chronicle the journey.
Hi Stacy, I am so sorry for your diagnosis! I am glad you were able to enjoy your family vacation before getting this news. I am glad they caught it early and I pray you will be cancer free after your treatment. Good that you will share it here so we can keep you in prayer!
ReplyDeleteStacy - You will be in my prayers. God's got this. Sending you love and virtual hugs.
ReplyDeleteThanks for trusting us with your information, Stacy, and please know that prayers are being lifted with every breath. Having the family "circling the wagons' is great news. Relax and let those who love you do the heavy lifting... mentally and physically! Sending love and hugs, as well as lifting prayers! xo
ReplyDeletePraying for you!! I am recovering from my hysterectomy now. So, I can relate and pray. Thankful they caught the endometrial cancer early!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat an unpleasant turn of events, Stacy! Praying now!
ReplyDeleteOh Stacy! I am so sorry you've gotten this kind of news, but I am so thankful they are right on top of it and not wasting any time. And I am thankful that your family is rallying around you and will be such great support. Most of all, I'm thankful that you already now that God is with you, and He will go before you and carry you through all the way. So glad you had that wonderful vacation with your family prior to getting this diagnosis. You were better able to relax and enjoy yourself without this concern looming ahead of you. But God is with you...just take it one day at a time. God's timing is perfect.
ReplyDeleteI have a picture of my then-little nephew on the Ferris wheel at Chicago's Navy Pier. While we were in line, I got a call from my doctor. He asked if I was going to get it and I said, "Oh, it's OK. It's not like I have cancer or anything." Well, it turns out I'd had a very problematic test result and the doctor was calling to discuss a total abdominal hysterectomy. I look at that picture of my nephew and think about what you said above: Life can feel both the same and yet suddenly totally different. So I feel for you. I know everyone in your blogosphere community does, too. I'm grateful your faith is so strong, as it will make you stronger for what comes ahead. You're strong and you're smart and you're much loved.
ReplyDeleteI am very sorry to read of your diagnosis. I hope everything goes well for you and that the CT scan is negative. I will be thinking of you. Sending good vibes and best wishes.
ReplyDeleteWill be praying hard for your complete recovery. I lost my uterus to a beginning cancer in the 1990s. It is scary I know but all of your friends are in yo9ur corner and God is as well. Hugs.
ReplyDelete