Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Life Just Took a Sharp Turn

This year continues to be the "gift" that just keeps on giving. If you visit here on a (semi)regular basis you know that this year has brought a LOT of things for my family to deal with. As of yesterday we've added one more.

Cancer.

I received a diagnosis of endometrial cancer yesterday. It is early stages, what they call 1C. Still, my oncologist (yes, I have one of those now) is not wasting any time. I got blood work and an EKG before I left the hospital yesterday. I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy on August 27. My pre-operative appointment with my PCP is next Friday. I am waiting for them to call and tell me when they schedule me for a full-body CT scan.

Whew.

The scan is important as it should show whether or not there is cancer anywhere else. If there is, my treatment schedule will change as I will have to do chemo before surgery. My doctor doesn't think this is likely, but we have to check. If the scan shows nothing then I will just have to have some radiation after the surgery.

It's kind of weird how life is the same today and yet totally different.

I spoke to my work and told a few people there. The HR person wasn't in today so I still need to see her and figure things out. I will have to be off at least 4-6 weeks.

My husband is being very supportive, an absolute rock and has already asked for the days I have the surgery and follow up off. 

My daughter is doing what she does best, talking about it with all the family and digging and researching online. 

My mom still has her hands full with my stepdad and can barely manage that. Her stress levels have been on the rise again since he came home a week ago. I know she cares and is worried, but she doesn't have it in her to be supportive right now.

My sisters-in-law and nieces have circled the wagons and come out in force to offer support. I have to admit it's kind of surreal reading the family texts and it's all about me and my health.

I haven't gone "public" anywhere else. My daughter asked if I was announcing it on Facebook. I told her no, not yet, anyway. Maybe I will when I have a better idea of how things are going to go.

I'm not afraid. I trust the Lord to take care of me. Still, I'm kind of over 2026 at this point.

I will be using the blog to chronicle the journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Just Took a Sharp Turn

This year continues to be the "gift" that just keeps on giving. If you visit here on a (semi)regular basis you know that this year...