Thursday, August 24, 2023

Thankful Thursday

It's been a bit of a crazy week around here, but there is still so much to be thankful for. Here's just a sampling.

This week I am thankful...

... for my new vehicle. I was able to take care of my expired license (a major senior moment on my part) quickly and we went last night to pick up the vehicle. It's a 2020 Buick Encore, not brand new but only one owner and very low mileage. I've only had one day with it, but so far I am loving it. I still say it looks black most of the time, but once in a while in the right light you can just catch a hint of the "dark moon blue" it is supposed to be. Sorry, I haven't taken a photo yet.

... our grandson had his back to school night last evening. He got to meet his teacher and see who will be in his class. He is actually excited about going back to school. That is a very big deal!

... our granddaughter rode along with us last night to pick up my car and we had so much fun with her. She was so good and patient during the business part of it and then she had us laughing all the way home. She has such a BIG personality and has a pretty advanced sense of humor for a 4 year old.

... for a very good day with one of my people today. The young man rates pretty high on the autism scale which means he typically doesn't like change, too much noise/confusion/stimulation, or being touched and he doesn't communicate very much, just the basics, or show much emotion. When he first started with us my boss made (in the opinion of most) a poor decision and took him out to eat at a restaurant with a big group. When they returned and were unloading the van he bolted toward traffic and my boss had to tackle him and they landed right near the edge of the road with traffic flying by no more than a foot from their heads. They weren't hit, thank goodness, but it did mess up my boss's artificial hip for a while.

Anyway, since then my boss has repeatedly said that my boy would not go out again as long as he was in charge. It has upset me and a few others who work with him because he was new and not used to any of the staff yet and then thrust into a new, over stimulating environment. Since then he has bonded with a couple of us and has an especially close relationship with me.

Today, while my boss was out with another group I took a chance and took my boy out on the new deck for lunch. As I suspected, he was perfectly well behaved and loved it out there so much we spent 2 hours sitting out there because he didn't want to go back inside. He never got upset or acted up. He was calm and happy. When I told my boss he actually listened without shutting it down and admitted that maybe it was time to try taking him out to a park with me and one or two of the other staff he trusts. I am so excited! That is a major win. 

My boy doesn't know all the backstory, but he had a good day and I know this because while we were on the deck a bug bit me and I scratched at my arm and mentioned it. He very gently rubbed my arm and looked closely at it. I asked him if he was worried about me and he said "yes." Emotion and compassion from him is HUGE!! Then when I was leaving this afternoon I gave him the one-armed hug I usually give him and he grabbed my arm and pulled me into a big bear hug. I left work feeling like I'd won the Nobel prize or something. God is so good to help me help these folks.

... my daughter and I were able to find everything the kiddos needed for back to school. We had a great shopping trip this past Sunday.

... our daughter was home on Tuesday and caught the split in the hose to the pool pump before it totally flooded the yard. It's fixed now so we are back on schedule with the multi-day process to un-green the water. We've had awful luck with that this year.

... that while tomorrow is a work day it will be a fun day. My employer throws a big picnic for the clients every August. Most will be brought by the staff from their group homes or family. The few who have no one will be watched over by staff as they enjoy the picnic, games, and DJ with dancing. Staff also mans the games and does set up and tear down, but we leave right from the park at the end of the day.

... for my husband's patience this week.

... a good weather forecast for this Saturday as we plan to drive to Erie again, this time with our daughter, her husband, and the grandchildren to enjoy a day at the beach. It will be a long day, but a good one.

... for God's mercies and strength that see me through each day.

... of course, for each one of you!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new car! I love tat color. My son's car is that same color. Blue but can appear black. Have a wonderful visit up in Erie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome about the win with your client. That big hug was amazing!! You really have found you niche!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...