Friday, November 24, 2023

Saturday 9: Long Cool Woman

Saturday 9: Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress) 1972

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song begins with Hollies' lead singer Allan Clarke telling us of a Saturday night trip downtown, taken at the behest of the FBI. What are your plans for Saturday night? (No, we don't expect you to tell us you'll be working undercover for a government agency.)  I'm hoping to take the grandchildren to see a local light display I read about on Facebook.

2) At a bar, he meets a woman in a black dress. The LBD, or little black dress, is a wardrobe staple for many women because it's appropriate for almost any occasion. Let's say you get a last-minute invitation for a "dressy" dinner this weekend and you don't have the time or money to buy something new. What's your go-to outfit from your closet?  Ugh, I rarely get "dressy" but I have a few things in the closet that would probably do. It would definitely be black with maybe a dash of color. It would depend on temperature and location whether I'd wear a skirt or slacks.

3) Everyone at the bar starts to run when they hear sirens. Do you often hear sirens in your neighborhood?  Only the ones on fire trucks or ambulances...which doesn't necessarily mean they are "in the neighborhood." It's a small town, we are on a hill and by one of the major roadways so pretty much everything goes past on the way to somewhere else or the hospital.

4) In 1972, the year this week's song was on the charts, Popeye's opened their first fast-food chicken restaurant in Louisiana. Now that the Thanksgiving feast is over, will you be eating any carry-out this weekend?  We will probably get something tomorrow or Sunday because we'll be sick of leftovers.

5) Black is this week's signature color because November 24 was Black Friday, when retailers historically have slashed their prices and the holiday shopping season begins. Have you begun your gift shopping?  Yes, I did quite a bit of online shopping on Black Friday. My mailman is going to hate me this week.

6) Walmart, Best Buy and Target all advertise heavily on Black Friday. If you could have a $100 gift card from one of those stores, which would you choose? What would you buy?  If it's for me, I'd choose Target, but if it's for anyone else on my list I'd choose Walmart. As for what I'd get if it's for me, something for the house. Target has the cutest home furnishings.

7) This Monday is sometimes known as Cyber Monday because shoppers can find big savings online. Do you shop confidently online, or do you worry about security breaches and identity theft?  I shop fairly confidently. Any problems I've ever had with my card have not come from online transactions.

8) What are you thankful for this year?  My family and friends, my job, and that while others are struggling in this economy, we are actually doing better than ever...and I am trying to let my giving reflect that.

9) Random question: Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone (texting doesn't count)?  My daughter. She calls me more than anyone else.


Thanks for the music and questions, Sam!

Anyone can play along here.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy, we like to see the lights too. There is an area near us where several blocks go all out. I want to go to the Mission Inn this year and see their big set up. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #6: I'm with you. My local Target has the utilitarian stuff, like light bulbs and AAA batteries, but also fun stuff. It's a little pricier than Walmart, but it's more fun.
    #7: Again, I'm with you. When my info has been compromised, it hasn't been from a retail website.
    #8: There's so much joy in giving, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get to go see the lights!
    #7...same here. My problems have come from other places and not places I shop online. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 Everyone was in jeans for Thanksgiving.
    #7 The same here, I had a card scanner get my information at a parking kiosk.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...