Friday, July 12, 2024

Saturday 9: Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer

Playing along with Crazy Sam and the gang over at Saturday 9.

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Nat King Cole sings about enjoying "soda and pretzels and beer." Which of those three would we find in your kitchen right now?  I think Tim has a couple of bottles of Corona in the refrigerator so right now you would find all three.

2) The lyrics mention a romantic movie. Which movie couple do you believe had onscreen chemistry?  I love Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman in While You Were Sleeping. I'd be sad to learn there wasn't at least a little bit of something between them.



3) He wishes "summer could always be here." How has your summer been so far?  Ungodly hot and too much work with not enough fun.

4) According to the song, a great warm weather meal includes sandwiches and weinies. Tell us about your perfect sandwich or, if you prefer, what you believe is the ideal way to dress a hot dog.  My two favorite summer sandwiches are a simple tomato and mayo sandwich and a BLT.

5) Nat was a big baseball fan. Growing up in Chicago he played sandlot games and listened to Cubs games on the radio. As an adult he was a season ticket holder at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Do you enjoy playing/watching baseball or softball?  I was on the girls' varsity softball team in high school, but I haven't played since. I don't enjoy watching baseball or softball. Too much down time.

6) The lyrics of this week's song were written by Charlie Tobias, who wanted to create a sense of nostalgia for summers gone by. Share one of your special summer memories.  Gosh, so many to choose from...I guess I'll go with my birthday present to my mom on her 72nd birthday. 

Mom grew up near Conneaut Lake Park and back in the day its roller coaster, the Blue Streak, was the biggest baddest coaster between New York and Chicago. Mom wanted to ride it so much, but her mother forbid her. In later years her younger sisters were allowed to ride and when I came along I, too, was allowed to ride (with much lecturing about not standing up). Mom never did ride the Blue Streak

Once she went home for a family reunion and told the story. A cousin said you're here, the park's open...and off they went. Mom purchased her ticket and was ready to ride when the coaster broke down. It never reopened that day. The park went into bankruptcy in the 1990's. Since then it has been a constant fight to keep it open. The fight wasn't always successful and last year it finally closed for good. 

Eight years ago I decided it was high time she got to ride the Blue Streak and off we went...praying the rain would stop by the time we reached the park 3 hours away. The weather cooperated and Mom finally got to ride. Did she want to go a second time? Nope.



7) In 1963, one of the best-selling books was Happiness Is a Warm Puppy by Charles Schultz. The cover showed Lucy giving Snoopy a big hug. Name another character from the Peanuts comic strip.  Charlie Brown, Sally, Linus, Peppermint Patty, Marcie, Sherman, Violet, Schroeder...

8) Also in 1963, men were wearing thin, solid-color ties. Later in the decade, ties would become wider, patterned and more colorful. Where do you turn to keep up with fashion trends?  Nowhere. I just wear what I like and/or what's comfortable.

9) Random question: Would you rather be a cowboy or a pirate?  A cowboy. I like horses.


I'm off to spend the day with my biological father today. We'll probably get back in the early-ish evening. I hope to get around to visit then. Have a wonderful Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. Pretzels and beer ... yum! I'm so there.
    #3 ~ YES! Times 10! I think maybe the fall I had on May 8th (Dislocated Finger) left me feeling flat. Can't seem to shake it. Please pray for me? Hope that's not selfish to ask for that. I feel like my tires are flat and stuck in the mud and I can't move forward. Thanks.
    Hope you're doing better? Stay cool. 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, we all need prayer. No harm in admitting it and asking for it when you need it. Prayers going up!

      Delete
  2. What a great story about Mom and The Blue Streak! So glad you were able to do that for her. A wonderful memory for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While You Were Sleeping is in my top five favorites!! I love Sandra Bullock in everything she has done. Lot's of cowboy wannabees out there, including me! Another fun Sat 9. Hope your time with your bio-dad went well today and that you found him feeling good. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the pleasure of working closely with Mr Pedro for several years as business partners. During the time that Pedro and his loan company team served as the Mortgage Representative for my home also for my business financing and he helped me closing off loans which really helped me in my business today, we were consistently far above our goal, and this can only be attributable to Mr Pedro's hard work. I appreciate your hard work and also big thanks to your team for helping me with a loan to grow my business. If you are looking for a loan of any kind, contact Mr Pedro on.... pedroloanss@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +393510140339 Mr Pedro is an honest loan officer working with a huge number of investors willing to finance any project.
    Thankfully, over time our relationship grew beyond work and I’m still happy to call him a trusted friend.

    ReplyDelete

Currently

On a Monday evening in October...  it's a cool 47 degrees and the forecast says we're going down to 38 degrees before the sun rises ...