Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Hello March!

Today is March 1. In honor of that I'm linking up with Ann for the Tuesday 4 and some questions about the month of March.

They say March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. Sometimes it is the reverse.  March has a lot of happenings like March 1st the start of Mardi Gras, the 13th is Daylight Savings Time, the Ides of March on the 15th, St Patrick's Day on the 17th, the first day of  Spring on the 20th this year   March 29-31 are the "borrowing days" when weather is traditionally rough or stormy.

1.  Do you celebrate Mardi Gras or St. Patrick's Day and how do you celebrate them?  We don't do anything for Mardi Gras, though since visiting New Orleans several years ago, my mom has a love for the city and the holiday. She decorated her Christmas tree with Mardi Gras masks and beads for a few years. There is an arch over the walk between her house and ours and every year she puts lights on it for Halloween then changes the colors of the bulbs to suit the holidays from Christmas through Easter before taking them down. This is the first year she has included Mardi Gras colored lights.

As for St. Patrick's Day, we are not beer drinking, partying types, but we do have some Irish roots so we eat corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes every year. 

2. Do you decorate for the spring in any way at all?  For the general season? I might put out an arrangement of spring flowers and change the valance over the kitchen window to something seasonal, but that's about it.

3. Daylight savings time doesn't make the day longer.  Experts say it puts kids heath at risk  as well as contribute to heart problems for adults.   Arizona and Hawaii don't change times.    It began as "war time" so war workers in WW2 could come home in the light.    What about you though?  Are you happy to see it return or not?  It really doesn't matter to me. As you said, it doesn't make the day longer. I am usually awake for both ends of the spectrum so it doesn't make a difference.  

4. How has the weather been in your neck of the woods as March approaches.  What would be your ideal for weather?  It has been cold, though today was sunny and mild, in spite of temps in the 30's. If it was up to me, a perfect day would be sunny and the temperature would be 75-80 degrees.


** For those who want to know, Jasper and Oakley did well with their neutering and other health matters yesterday and were zipping around like nothing had happened by evening.

7 comments:

  1. That is wonderful news about Oakley and Jasper. I hope you have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That daylight savings is strange to me... Why is it putting kids health in risk? I gotta look up why - I'm ALLLL about it & wish it would stay year long. I think if we didnt go back & forth, it would get all the problems out of the way.
    I've never celebrated Mardi Gras in my life - I still dont know what its for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your header photo, Stacy! Are those Colton's feet? Your mom's arch with colored lights sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to read that the kitties are both doing fine. Your answers were similar to mine except for the walk-way lights (which sound like a great idea!). I love New Orleans but would not want to be there for Mardi Gras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news about the surgery! The walkway lights sound pretty. I've never been to New Orleans but always wanted to visit. I make Irish lamb chops(with whiskey) for St Patricks day and Colcannon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad Oakley and Jasper are doing well,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your answers. I'm thinking I'll make corned beef as well.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...