Friday, April 15, 2022

Likes & Dislikes #9

Things I like...

...warm razzleberry pie with vanilla bean ice cream...

...Allstate commercials featuring Mayhem...

...sleeping with the fan on...

...Lindt chocolate truffle Easter eggs...

...being home for my family...

...the 70's & 80's...

...funny "scary" movies (think Beetlejuice, Abbott & Costello Meet the Mummy, and Scooby-Doo).


And things I don't...

...endless spam calls on my cell phone...

...when people are just mean all the time out of habit...

...getting blisters from shoes...

...mental illness and what it steals...

...when an otherwise good show or movie suddenly throws in something inappropriate...

...how many wonderful entertainers we've lost in the last couple of years...

...waiting, doesn't matter what for.


I had the experience of going with my daughter to her late brother-in-law's house yesterday. There were just a few more things they needed to get out before they walk away and let the bank have it all.

All along she has been telling us tales of how bad it was inside. I believed her, as I have sadly had a few clients who live in homes that would be perfect candidates for the show Hoarders. And yet, I was not prepared for his house. 

As soon as you entered it...through the garage, screened porch, or right into the house, it didn't matter...you were slammed by an overwhelming, relentless stench. It was a combination of months (maybe years) of garbage, dampness, mold, mildew, old dirty diapers, dog urine and feces, and groceries that had been carried in, sat down, still in the bags and left to rot.

I was seeing the house after they had removed a lot of stuff the family wanted to keep. But there was still so much there. Things that belonged to the man's ex's other children, clothes, everything in the kitchen, movies, video game systems and games, records, multiple stereos, huge fish tanks...left because no one wants to deal with it or the mess or try to clean it to make it useable.

Part of the kitchen ceiling had fallen a long time ago and was never repaired so all that dampness and mold coming in. The living room floor is buckled and humped up in several places under the carpet...water damage? Old food and dirty dishes were piled as high as the bed in the bedroom where he had spent the last few months and dirty diapers were piled the length of the dresser and 2 feet high. The food that was carried in was all rotting, some to a complete liquid state, gallons of milk had sat for so long they exploded. They found the dog dead in the basement of neglect...bags and cans of dog food were everywhere. I did not see the bathroom. The door was closed and my daughter said no one ever needed to see in there so I can only imagine.

I am so sorry this young man was obviously so mentally ill along with physically ill, but what truly breaks my heart is thinking about Sarah running around in that house. Ugh. I can't even imagine being ill enough to think that was okay for my kid. I can't comprehend that her mother did visit from time to time and knew what the house was like, actually stayed there, and left Sarah there when she left.

Yet, I watch shows like Hoarders and know that this happens more often than we realize in this world of ours. I supposed it is just another sign of the times and that we are growing ever nearer to when the Lord comes back.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the lists of Likes and Dislikes.
    My mouth flew open at the Hoarders house and the poor dead doggie!!! THAT makes me angry! At least let the dog run free if you can't care for it. Someone will take it in (we have in the past). Well, hopefully, you'll never have to return to that house. Thank you for what you're doing and sorry it has to be that way.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Stacy! That poor man, but even more so, that poor little girl! What a life she has endured...I can imagine she is probably going to have some major emotional issues as she grows up. Praying for her now, and praying that your daughter and son in law will be able to take care of her. It may be challenging for them and their children. Praying praying praying. That is just so so sad. I can't begin to imagine. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Poor Sarah. I am so glad she has her aunt and uncle to share in caring for her (and you!!). So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Stacy. My heart breaks for little Sarah. I know that God has brought her out of this horrible situation and given her some hope for a better life. I hope that her mother will let her have the stability of having your daughter and your family in her life. I am so sorry you are all going through this tragic event. Prayers for healing of hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still stuck on finding the dog dead... I think I'm going to need a minute to process that one.... what a horrible situation. The struggle.

    ... I'm doing a post tomorrow to join you in this - I love your lists every week!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...