Friday, May 13, 2022

Saturday 9: Give a Little Love

Join the fun here.
 Saturday 9: Give a Little Love (1988)

 Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

 In memory of Naomi Judd (1946-2022)

 1) In this week's song, the Judds tell us they   aren't impressed by diamonds or foreign travel. If you had your choice, would you prefer a $1,500 diamond pendant or a $1,500 voucher from United Airlines?  I'd definitely take the voucher. I don't go anywhere or dress up enough to wear the diamond. I'd rather fly somewhere for a vacation.

2) In the video for this song, the Judds are shown having fun on the beach. Do you have any trips to the beach planned for the upcoming summer months?  We are hoping to take a family vacation with our daughter and her family in September. We've booked a house in Chincoteague, VA and are really wanting to be with the grands the first time they see the ocean, but with this economy...we will have to see how it goes.

3) Early in their career, this mother-daughter duo performed in clubs venues around San Francisco, where they called themselves The Hillbilly Women. Have you recently been to a bar or restaurant with live music?  No, not recently.

4) They moved to Nashville in 1979 in search of greater success. During the three years it took them to score a record contract, Naomi supported the family as a part-time nurse and occasional model. She enjoyed the flexibility so her schedule could accommodate auditions. Do you like having a pre-planned schedule? Or would you rather keep things loose?  I tend to like a combination of both. When I go to a new place, I'll do some research to get a feel for it, but once there I like to just let things happen. With work, I do better with a schedule.

5) Wynona sang the Elvis classic "Burning Love" in 2002 Disney movie Lilo and Stitch. What's the most recent Disney movie you've seen?  I just watched the first Frozen with my granddaughter this afternoon for about the 74,832nd time.
 
6) In 2011, Wynona wrote her first novel, Restless Heart, about a country singer struggling with the price of fame. Have you ever tried your hand at writing fiction?  No, but in the 90's I really thought about writing a romance. I thought I had a pattern or formula figured out. Maybe I did, but I never got around to trying it. I was too busy raising my kids.

7) Kid sister Ashley Judd is the only woman in her immediate family to not change her first name. Naomi was born Diana, and Wynona was originally Christina. Do you like your first name?  It wasn't my favorite when I was growing up, but I don't mind it now. There aren't a lot of Stacy's around.
 
8) In 1988, the year this song was popular, Sonny Bono went from entertainer to politician when he was elected Mayor of Palm Springs. Have you met the mayor of your town?  Not the current one, no. I've met past ones, though.

9) Random question: Were you a member of the Columbia House Record Club?  Hahahaha! Many times over. I'd join, get all those free records for a penny, buy the two more to satisfy my obligation, quit...then wait a few months and do it again. 

19 comments:

  1. You know, I don't think I know any Stacys IRL. It is a special name.

    I have never seen Frozen start to finish. Not the movie, not the live production, not Frozen on Ice. I'm beginning to feel isolated. Maybe I should just see if it's still on the Disney Channel and succumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it. It's actually pretty amusing, even my husband thought so and he hates Disney movies. I like Frozen 2 better, but that's because Kristoff sings "Into the Woods" a ballad that has all the feels of an 80's power ballad with elements of REO Speedwagon, Queen, and a few others.

      Delete
  2. It is truly so sad about Naomi Judd. I've only known one other Stacy, other than you. I hope you get to go on your vacation. It sounds like lots of fun to go to the beach with your grands. I remember record clubs - but don't know if I ever joined one. Hubby and I were in a "great books" book club for a while when we were first married. We both wanted a home filled with children and books. We got both. Hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love music and books, so I was in both clubs. We went through that phase with both the kids and grands and Disney movies. We try to go as a family when a new movie comes out. We almost named our daughter Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #9 I never thought of that, quitting and rejoining or joining under another name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great way to build up a music library. Back before they went the way of the dinosaurs I had a heck of a record collection. I wish I had them back now that they are regaining some popularity.

      Delete
    2. I still have my vinyl collection about 6 feet worth from the late 60s and early 70s but my turntable needs new belts.

      Delete
    3. Sweet! I gave mine up when they were going away and we were making a major move...just to not have to pack and move them again. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. I totally did that record/book club churn myself back in the day, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great way to build up your collection. Many of my friends did the same thing.

      Delete
  6. One of my best friends from school is a Stacey (with an e). I LOVED the Columbia House deals. I did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually graduated with three other Stacey's. I was the only one with no e and when I do meet another they usually have the e, though I have one online friend who spells hers with ie. Columbia House was the best way to build up a record collection back in the day!

      Delete
  7. Oh how funny about the Columbia House deals. I always wanted to join, but never did. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for figuring out how to game the record company. HA! LOL. I knew several Stacy's in school (be about the right age) but I don't know any other at the moment. I have noticed a trend among the young people to go back to older names - my great nephew is named Everett! So maybe Stacy will make a come-back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were actually 4 of us in my graduating class, but all the others spelled it Stacey. I rarely run into another these days, but yes, right around our age seems to have been the peak of popularity. Everett...I like it. I like a lot of the older names. My granddaughter is Leah Rose.

      Delete
  9. I laughed at #5. Our granddaughters FINALLY moved on to Harry Potter, but it was Frozen for a couple of yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the fits of giggles over #5. I hope you had a beautiful day, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. The economy is the same everywhere…Covid…war…my bloggers in England and Ireland say the same…funny how when something happens we think it is only in America…I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. P s write that book…you have a talent.

    ReplyDelete

Is This the End? Maybe.

A long time ago (it's been more than 20 years!) a young-ish wife and mother discovered the world of blogging. Blogging was in its infanc...