Friday, March 10, 2023

Saturday 9: Pass Me By

Saturday 9: Pass Me By (1965)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Peggy Lee tells us she wiggles her toes in the sand. Have you been to the beach yet in 2023? Do you expect to wiggle your toes in the sand when you're on vacation this year?  No, I haven't been anywhere near a beach yet. As for expecting, I don't have vacation time until after November 1 so the only thing I'm hoping for this year is a weekend at the beach on Lake Erie with the grandchildren.
 
2) She also sings that contemplating nature can be fascinating. What flora and fauna can you see from your window as you answer these questions?  Nothing, because it's dark. Even if it was light out there wouldn't be anything to see. It's mid-March so everything is gray and dormant.

3) With this song, she's telling everyone to take her as she is or leave her be. Does that reflect your attitude? Or are you a "people pleaser" who worries what others think of you?  I used to be such a people pleaser, but my attitude has shifted in the last few years and I really don't care much what others think of me. I've finally realized that what people think of me usually has a lot more to do with them than it does with how I live my life.

4) These lyrics were written by Carolyn Leigh. She began her career as an advertising copywriter but, since she showed a flair for poetry and rhymes, she was urged by a music publisher to write lyrics. Have you ever tried your hand at poetry?  Years and years and years ago.

5) This song was composed for the 1964 movie Father Goose, starring Cary Grant. Are you a fan? Do you just vaguely know the name? Or are you wondering what a Cary Grant is?  I have seen Cary Grant movies and enjoyed them, but I wouldn't say I'm a "fan."

6) This was a top-20 hit for Peggy Lee. As a girl in North Dakota during the 1930s, Peggy lived above the train station where her father was depot agent. Today that depot is home to a museum which features a Peggy Lee Exhibit. Have you recently visited a museum?  No. The last one I visited was the Night of the Living Dead museum with one of my former clients. Not my thing at all, but he loved it.
 
7) Designer Bonnie Erickson was also grew up in North Dakota and used her girlhood idol as the inspiration for her most famous creation: Miss Piggy. A diva with flowing blonde hair and jewelry, the puppet was originally called Miss Piggy Lee. As the character gained in fame with The Muppets, the name was shortened to Miss Piggy because Bonnie didn't want to offend Peggy Lee, whom she genuinely admired. Tell us something you have done recently to spare someone's feelings.  I kept my mouth shut.

8) While Peggy Lee often changed her hairstyle with the times, she was always a blonde. She considered those lustrous locks her trademark. Are you having a good hair day today?  


9) Random question: What's the perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon?  Alone and reading a good book.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. Yep, sometimes just keeping one's mouth shut is the best thing to do, and yes, I believe more and more that what someone else thinks of me is none of my business. I try to please God - not other people. I love your perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon and totally agree. I hope you and your family have a good weekend! See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 is very wise. Love your answer to #7. Some self-centered people are in love with dropping what they call "truth bombs," but why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grinning over "keeping my mouth shut". Thanks, I sure needed that though, grin. Have beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 - VERY wise. Best to live in a way that pleases God anyway. I know you're doing that.
    #4 - I once wrote poetry, but it wasn't any good. I did enjoy it though. Kept all those and they're hidden away in the attic.
    #9 - We're doing what you're doing today only together. Gonna relax and try to recover from a busy week.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is some of my terrible, angst-ridden teenage poetry hidden somewhere for future generations to roll their eyes over.

      Delete
  5. #2 Yup. It is gray, rainy, and snowy.
    #6 I looked up the Night of the Living Dead museum and it is in Monroeville! Before I retired I used to go there quarterly for a company engineering meeting, the only thing that made it palatable was getting to fly in the corporate jet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monroeville is, I guess, a necessary evil for us. So many retailers are located there and are the closest ones to us. The mall used to be amazing. It even had an ice skating rink! It's a shadow of it's former self. The best thing about Monroeville is the convention center and the fact that Half-priced Books holds its annual book sale there. I restrain myself but people fill grocery carts!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes our answers are so much alike it astounds me. LOL I would hope we would be friends if we were to ever meet in "real life."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like you could be my friend. You seem like such a decent human. LOL I see that CountryDew feels much the same way, which makes sense since CD is *also* a decent human! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today I'm having a good hair day since I have nowhere to go and no one will see me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good answer "keeping my mouth shut"!! These were fun questions today. I enjoyed your answers and many were close to the way I answered!! Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...