Friday, August 19, 2022

Saturday 9: A Little Ditty About Jack & Diane

Sam, you are speaking my language today with your Saturday 9 choice. I do love me some John Cougar...and some John Cougar Mellencamp and some John Mellencamp. So let's get on with the fun!

Jack and Diane (1982)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The video for this song features lots of snapshots. Do you have many physical photo albums? Or do you store your pictures digitally?  I do have quite a few photo albums from the early years of our marriage and when the kids were young. Then there was a phase where I still took tons of photos, but they are just stuffed in boxes (to sort out one day...but we all know my kids and grandkids will get stuck with them). I started switching over to digital about 15 years ago, I believe. I still have some of those printed out if they are really good.
 
2) This song tells the story of "two American kids growing up in the heartland." Young Jack dreams of being a football star. When you were in high school, did you fantasize about stardom? If yes, what were you going to be famous for?  I did, but I was going to be known for being a famous news reporter who would go anywhere to get the story.

3) Diane wears Bobbie Brooks slacks (at least briefly). Bobbie Brooks is a popular brand at Walmart. If you had a $50 gift card for Walmart, would you be more likely to use it toward groceries, clothes, household items, or electronics?  These days? Groceries. Back in high school I did wear Bobbie Brooks clothing. Their ads appeared in Seventeen magazine so they were among the must-have clothes of the day.

4) They go to the Tasty Freeze. If you were to run out for fast food right now, where would you go?  Maybe KFC. I do like their Famous Bowls. Yummy comfort food right there.

5) When John Mellencamp made this record, he was known professionally as "John Cougar," a stage name suggested by his manager. He has said that adopting a stage name is something he regrets. Looking over your life, if you could take a "do over," what one thing would you like to do differently?  I would care a lot more about getting a degree and hold off on getting married until I finished college.
 
6) Even though he suffered a heart attack, John Mellencamp continues to smoke, admitting that nicotine is something he simply can't kick. Do you have a habit you wish you could break?  Biting my nails and overeating or at least eating the wrong stuff (like my lifeblood...Diet Coke).
 
7) John's daughter Teddi was one of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. She went on to join the cast of Big Brother. Do you watch any reality shows?  Don't we all? The majority of what's on these days seems to be some form of "reality" show...American Idol, America's Got Talent, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, all those decorating and real estate shows on HGTV, etc. I seem to have a special fondness for the weird ones like Mountain Monsters, Hunting Bigfoot, Skinwalker Ranch, etc.

8) In 1982, when this song was popular, William Windsor was born. He's better known by his job title. Without looking it up, do you know who he is?  Prince William, heir to the British throne.
 
9) Random question: What do you do when you can't sleep?  The wrong thing. I usually just lay there flipping and flopping with my mind going 100 mph.

17 comments:

  1. Walmart used to have quality clothes like Bobbie Brooks and Faded Glory. Slowly they phased those out. I bought my last pack of underwear from Walmart and I wore a pair, instantly got 2 holes in them that's how thin the material is. Not quality at all.

    Have a blessed weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Walmart didn't come into our area until about 10-15 years ago. They've always had a cheaper level of clothing. I have noticed in the last couple of years that virtually everything is so thin you can see through it. It doesn't fit well, either. Maybe that's just all fallout from Covid and all. I know the clothes companies I have always bought from online are also much more cheaply made now and their prices have tripled.

      Delete
  2. I used to love Pawn Stars. It appeals to my geeky side (which is my biggest side) and I got such a kick out of The Old Man (RIP). But then I discovered some really unsavory things about Chumlee and I just can't even look at him now. Don't look it up. I warn you. He's older and way less benign and cuddly and than you want him to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all about Chum. I don't really like any of the characters. I just like to see what people bring in and what the experts have to say about it. I've been watching the old show "Auction Kings" on Discovery+ for the same reason.

      Delete
  3. Your photos sound exactly like mine, lots of albums when our kids were little, etc., and then I quit putting them in albums and have lots of envelopes of photos, but I have arranged them in order of years in see through plastic containers in my special photo closet I made a few years ago. But then when I got my digital camera I rarely ever print photos anymore. They are on flash drives or in my computer waiting to go on flash drives...but most likely the technology will change and those photos will be lost forever. Not sure what to do about it now. Can't afford to print them. I remember when "Bobbie Brooks" clothes were nice. I don't think Walmart even carries them anymore. Reality shows...yes I love Maine Cabin Masters and Hometown and some other HGTV and Magnolia programs. But that's mostly it for the reality shows for me. I don't really watch much tv unless they are old classic tv shows that hubby and I watch together. When I was in high school I wanted to be an actress. I did a lot of acting in plays and enjoyed it, but my parents put their foot down regarding going any further with it because of the "atmosphere" around the theater life...and God had better plans for my life. I do wish I'd finished college too, but I got my degree in PHT..."putting hubby through". LOL. I enjoyed your answers. This was fun. Have a happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the whole technology thing. We have so many slides my dad took when we lived in the wildlife preserve. Nobody does slides anymore and I worry about them fading over time. I gave them to a distant cousin 2 years ago to help him start a new business putting old slides and photos on DVD or flash drives with music. He's had one excuse after another so since she was up his way, Mom met with him yesterday to get them back. It would maybe have helped us financially at times if I'd had my degree, but yeah, otherwise, it worked out pretty well. God took my impatience and made it good.

      Delete
  4. #1 All of the family slides and color photos from the 50s, 60s and 70s are all faded and I am looking for a program to correct them. The black and white photos from the 30s – 50s are all good.
    #6 I used to bite my nails and when I stopped I didn’t get colds anymore.
    #8 Seems like everyone but me knew it was Prince William

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stacy. This was a fun and interesting post. I always liked that songs. I also had a goal to be a famous reporter. I was editor of my high school newspaper and one of my bachelor degrees is in journalism. The other BA degree is in history but my masters is in language and literature (education). I worked at a daily newspaper in California part-time for a while, but my priority was my family and journalism wasn't really a career that fit in with that, at least back in the day, so when I went back to work after 15 years home with the kids, I became an English teacher, because I've always loved words. I also take LOTS of pictures, but don't print many. I also have TONS of photo albums filled with pictures of my kids, family vacations, etc. I am glad I have them, but rarely look at them. I am having some family pictures from my granddaughter's baptism printed so I can display them. I remember when Prince William was born. He is a year younger than my oldest daughter who was born in 1981. Amen for famous bowls - so yummy! I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got lots of pictures I need to sort through. But I've got lots of digital pictures I need to sort through also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, my answer to #1 would be the same! (Had I played.) I even took a class in scrapbooking; all the rage back when. I only succeeded in not biting my nails a few months ago, using that nail strengthening stuff. Unfortunately, my cuticles are a whole 'nother matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #7--reality shows are my favorites! I'm heavy into Big Brother--I've never missed a season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried a KFC bowl, but I have seen one I want to try. I am glad you said something about them.
    How cool to be a news reporter! That is a good dream! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to confess that until yesterday when I answered these questions, I had no idea what the "Bobbie Brooks" in the song referred to. I have about as much fashion sense as a log.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed out on Bobbie Brooks clothing. There were no Walmarts in the northern states. I was in my 30s before I visited a Walmart in Florida while on vacation. Hard to believe now!! I enjoyed your answers and another fun Saturday 9.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you would have made a great news reporter! All that energy!
    Also, when you can't sleep and your mind is going a 100 mph, try a little mantra, like, "Think of nothing" gently and over and over in your head. slowly... A Jesuit Priest once told my friend, his sister, that saying that and concentrating on it, was the way to quiet the mind and prepare it to go to sleep. It's what works for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HA, me too on the last question, grin. Have a beautiful Sunday (tomorrow) and Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I worked on my school paper when I was a senior in high school but I was never a "reporter". Mainly I proofread and occasionally put in a poem. I too have TONS of pictures. I have always loved taking pictures. I think of it as saving history. Lots of photo albums. Lots of digital. If I had the money I would print out the digital and put them in books or albums.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...