Friday, September 1, 2023

Saturday 9: Workin' for a Livin'


Saturday 9: Workin' for a Livin' (1982)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Huey begins the song by telling us some workdays feel like they will never end. How was last week for you? Did it drag or did it fly by?  My days in the Adult Training Facility always fly, but my Tuesdays in document destruction are like watching paint dry.

2) He sings that his car payment is due. Think about your personal finances. Do you pay most of your bills manually or do you more often take advantage of automated bill pay?  It's a pretty even mix and the bills that I pay manually I tend to pay online.
 
3) Huey Lewis achieved a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT. Did you take SATs and/or ACTs? Were your results anything to brag about? (If they were, go ahead and let us know!)  I think my SAT score was pretty high and my ACT score was more average. It's been a long time...I don't really remember the numbers.

4) In his role as District Attorney for Essex County, MA, Huey's grandfather Hugh Cregg prosecuted high-profile murder cases. Do you enjoy watching or reading courtroom dramas?  Yes, usually.

5) Huey no longer performs because he has an inner-ear disorder that prevents him from holding a vocal pitch. Of your five senses -- hearing, sight, smell, touch and taste -- which is the strongest?  I used to have very good hearing but I'm beginning to have trouble hearing when there is a ton of background noise. I don't think any other sense is a standout. They are all probably fairly even.

6) He is a fan of fly fishing. Did you do any fishing this summer?
  Nope.


Since this Monday is Labor Day, the holiday established to celebrate the American worker … 

7) Approx. 10% of Americans are self employed. Have you ever been your own boss?  No. I am not disciplined enough for that.

8) According to Monster.com, 50% of workers have left a job to get away from a boss. Are you one of the 50%?  YES!!

9) Farmers feel the impact of extreme weather events. Have you ever had a job that required you to be outdoors most of the time?  Just a summer job with the Youth Conservation Corp.

Thanks, Sam, for the music and questions!
Click here to play along.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. Fun answers. I remember taking the ACT and was shocked at how well I did. Even my math scores were pretty high and that surprised me because math IS NOT my best subject. Maybe I was better at it back in high school. I hope you enjoy the long weekend and take time to rest and relax. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember my scores either. I hope you have a beautiful weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I think it's spooky when people remember exactly what percentile of their high school graduating class they were in, or can recite their test scores by rote. It's as though they peeked at 18. ;)
    I have a little bet with myself that we have no fishermen in this group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the fishing trip I took as a teenager count? I haven’t been back since,

      Delete
  4. #2 Yeah, some of my bills I want to look at first like credit card bills, while utilities bills are automatic.
    #5 Welcome to the club. At weddings I hate it when the band plays loud, us old folks have a hard time to hear the conversations around us.
    #7 Ditto, I would procrastinate too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you about being my own boss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to do very well working for myself. Now, not so much. If I could find a job that could accommodate all of my idiosyncrasies, I would go back to work for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did fine working for myself but it was exhausting. Four years was enough. I liked your answers, Stacy. Have a blessed week ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Say, you have the beginnings of a Country Western Song there is the first question/answer. And ... welcome to the 50%ers! Oh bay could we ever write a book, yah?

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...