Monday, October 30, 2023

T'was the Night Before Halloween

Here we are on the eve of Halloween. I, for one, am ready to see tomorrow over and move on to something else. It isn't that I hate Halloween, rather it is that those with special needs, those I work with, get super, super, SUPER focused on things...usually months ahead of the actual thing. My days have been filled with all things Halloween for about 2 months now. I am pretty much Halloweened out (and yes, according to my laptop I did indeed just make that word up).

Anywhooo....

With Halloween pretty much over elsewhere (or is that just something in this area...the celebrating of Halloween on the weekend before or after the actual day?) we are having a huge party at work tomorrow. It is arguably the single biggest, most anticipated day all year with the exception of actual Christmas Day. (We do have a party for Christmas and while it's a pretty big deal, it's second to the Halloween party.) It will be a lot of fun, but it will also be a lot of work for my department. (All things "fun" fall on us.) It's already been a lot of work. 

Tomorrow morning we will finish setting up the food serving areas and setting the tables up in their Halloween finery...as well as watching those we are charged with caring for. We will do this in costume and with loads of good cheer. We will serve the food, oversee the treats, guide the talent show, make sure everyone behaves themselves during the dance, dance and carry on with them to be sure it's a success...and then we will clean it all up. 

So, currently I am...

...reading Anxious People by Fredrik Backman.

...watching another episode of The Great Halloween Fright Fight, Hocus Pocus (so many times), and lots of other Halloween movies nearly every afternoon at work since no one's mind is on their work at this point. We are too excited about THE PARTY!

...listening to everyone practice their songs for the talent show over and over. 

...feeling happy but tired.

...grateful I have a fun job that I love.

...sorry it rained over the weekend and trick-or-treat for my grandchildren wasn't quite as wonderful. They did get to go to Pittsburgh on Friday (before the rain started) to see this year's Asian Lantern festival at the zoo.

...looking forward to November's relative calm.

And that's all for now. I need to get myself to bed so I can get up and get myself dressed for the party (I need to do a good bit for my costume) and get to work early.

By the way, we have entered the mid-fall time with temperatures dipping into the low 30s, maybe even into the 20s, tonight and tomorrow's high will be in the 40s. The leaves are mostly done. Three days of rain made sure of that.

See you soon with photos!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy! Happy Halloween. I hope everything goes well at the work party tomorrow. I want to read that book you are currently reading, so let us know what you think when you are finished. It's cold here too and the trees are look pretty bare with lots of leaves on the ground. Have a good week! See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your amazing costume transformation on Facebook, Stacy! Awesome!! I hope to see a picture of the three of you tomorrow!! My old Ohio hometown had "beggars night" on the Saturday before Halloween so kids didn't have school before going out and the teachers didn't have to deal with sugar highs the next day! We don't have kids begging here in our retirement community. I love that your new job is bringing you so much joy!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...