Friday, November 10, 2023

Saturday 9: P.S. I Love You

Saturday 9: P. S. I Love You (1953)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, a man fills his lover in on what's going on in his daily life, including that he was in bed by 9:00 PM. Do you have a regular bedtime?  No, I have horrible sleep habits. I really should try to get on a regular schedule and do all the things they say will help you sleep better, but I never do.

2) He reports that yesterday it rained, but all in all, he can't complain. Do you often find yourself discussing/complaining about the weather?  We go over the calendar, news, and weather everyday at work with the clients so I discuss it at least that much. Other than that, I don't discuss it all that much...just if I have plans that are depending on the weather.

3) This song was recorded many times, by artists as diverse as Rudy Vallee (1934) and Bob Dylan (2017). It's endured because the theme -- reaching out and staying in touch across the miles -- is universal. Is there anyone in your life with whom you regularly correspond? If yes, do you prefer cards/letters, emails or texts?  I used to write tons of letters to everyone...until everyone quit writing letters. Then I met my biological father and it turns out he is a letter writer and absolutely loves writing back and forth.

4) This 1953 version was a hit for The Hilltoppers. The band members met at Western Kentucky University and took their name from the nickname of their school's athletic teams. What was the name of your school's team?  My high school teams were the Trojans and my college teams were the Indians. The college has since changed to something more pc, but I forget what it is.

5) The Hilltoppers always performed in W sweaters, for Western Kentucky. Do you own any sweaters, caps or jackets that celebrate your alma mater?  My mom gave me back my letterman's jacket a few years ago. It hung in the closet until last year when I decided it wasn't something I needed to keep so I donated it to Goodwill.

6) By 1960, The Hilltoppers' records weren't selling anymore. But they continued to perform and in 1970 they became the house band at The Holiday Inn in Fort Walton Beach, FL. They were so popular with tourists that they played at that Holiday Inn for years. When did you last stay in a hotel, motel or airbnb?  It was in August when we went to Erie for my family reunion that I didn't get to attend because I got sick and slept the whole time at the hotel.

7) In 1953, the year this recording was popular, the Eisenhowers moved into The White House. First Lady Mamie Eisenhower was known for her down-to-earth style. For example, she often shared her recipe for Million Dollar Fudge, saying that since it's easy to make and foolproof, she recommended her fudge as the perfect hostess gift. When you're invited to someone's home, do you bring a hostess gift?  Sometimes. It really depends on the situation. 
 
8) Also in 1953, radio personality Arthur Godfrey made news for having one of the nation's very first hip replacements. Have you/would you ever be part of a clinical trial, either for a new drug or medical procedure?  I never have been and I don't know if I'd volunteer. I'd probably have to be sort of desperate. 
 
9) Random question -- Do you fold your socks or roll them?  Roll.

Thanks, Sam, for the music and questions!
Join in the fun here.

12 comments:

  1. I wouldn't volunteer to be a Guinea pig. I hear you on the sleep. I get involved with things and end up staying up sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #6: It's so unfortunate how that turned out. I hope at least you liked your room and the little soaps and shampoos. (I always love the little soaps and shampoos.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope not for me either (clinical trials etc.) I hope you have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would have to be desperate to do a clinical trial also. I think I might if I were dying and trying a new medication or something. I do not think I would sign up to do other things. I have a sister-in-law that used to do that all of the time for money. I thought it was crazy. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 I sleep in two shifts, 9 to 1 and then 3 to around 6.
    #3 This is the first time all summer that we had two rain free weekends.
    #8 My sister-in-law is on a drug study for Alzheimer's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, no way, uh uh, on the clinical trials. I don't trust 'em. Drug Companies have committed a lot of atrosities through the years in the name of "science" but it's all for greed. Nope.
    I love to write letters and miss the snail mail method a lot. E-mail and texting are fast but so impersonal. Guess those days are gone until some big solar flare takes all that out for good.
    Have a blessed day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a good sleep routine that I've developed over the past two or three years and it has dramatically improved the quality of sleep. I had chronic insomnia and interrupted sleep for most of my life, so it's quite a change to have minimal sleep interruptions now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #4 my high school was the Thunderbirds. Here in NY all public schools are now required to get rid of Native American imagery. So my school is going to change its mascot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting to sleep is my main problem. Sometimes I wake up from pain from sleeping wrong. That is nice that you have letters fro your day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'd think a person would not have to learn to sleep, but you do sometimes. Stuff changes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your answers, Stacy. Another fun Saturday 9. Wishing you blessings in the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is so beautiful, I have been so busy lately about life but let me share with you all about my health life experience with the great herbal traditional doctor that saved the life of mine and my dear husband.I was suffering from a deadly disease herpes and diabetes and i went through alot trying to get better each everyday of my life until I came across a testimony on blogs someone telling good about Dr Jekawo, a traditional herbal doctor that cure all kind of disease such as: herpes,diabetes,cancer,hpv,lupus,degenerative disease also bring back ex, and other spiritual consultations, I contacted him via drjekawo@gmail.com then he pepared the herbal medicines and send to me which takes 21 days treatment that cured my diabetes and herpes completely,I'm so grateful with the help he rendered to me therefore I promised to share his great works.Thank you and I hope this could save someone else out there.Karen PaulSouth Carolina.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...