Friday, May 3, 2024

Saturday 9: Rocket Man


Hello! I decided to check in with you all again this week.


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

 
1) In this song, Elton John tells us he's taking off for outerspace at 9:00 AM. What will you be doing at 9:00 AM tomorrow morning?  If I'm not sleeping, probably not much...reading Saturday 9 posts or throwing in a load of laundry. I have been running non-stop for a few weeks now and I'm also doing PT for my knee a few evenings a week and, if you can believe it, I'm sick again (the whole cough till I lose my voice thing). 2024 is so not getting my vote for best year!
 
2) He sings that even though he uses it for his astronaut job, he doesn't understand science. Was science one of your better classes in school?  It depended on what science. Chemistry? No. Biology? Some of it. Astronomy? Yes!
 
3) Lyricist Bernie Taupin recalls writing the first verse of "Rocket Man" while stuck in traffic as he tried to make his way to his parents' home. Have you recently been stuck in traffic? If yes, where were you headed?  They have been paving the big bridge that passes over the road my workplace is located on the last few days, so yes, I've sat in traffic. I sat trying to get up onto the highway to cross the bridge to go home and I sat heading the other direction (along with all those trying to avoid the highway traffic) while going to a client's home.

4) Thinking of cars ... Nigel Olsson, who plays drums and sings back-up on "Rocket Man," is a self-proclaimed "race car fanatic." What hobby are you passionate about?  Reading.

5) Davey Johnstone, who plays guitar on "Rocket Man," recently posted on Facebook that he was thrilled to meet Joni Mitchell. Are you on Facebook? Instagram? Twitter? Pinterest? Tik Tok?  Yes, to Facebook and Pinterest. I'm active on both. I have Instagram and Twitter accounts but never use them. I refuse to even consider Tik Tok.

6) Elton John once played charades with Bob Dylan. But only once. Elton laughingly says he can't get over how "hopeless" Dylan was at the game. What's the last game you played? Did you win?  I don't know what it was...something with the clients at work.
 
7) In 1972, when this song was popular, Winnie the Pooh was on the cover the Sears Christmas Wish Book. That year, kids asked Santa for plush Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore. Did you have many plush toys as a child? If yes, do you still have any of them? I had a few and I had my Pooh and my Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls until we got our hound, Elvis. He chewed EVERYTHING as a puppy and destroyed so many, many things. It's a good thing he was cute...and that he finally outgrew it.
 
8) Also in 1972, TV cowboy Dan Blocker died. He played the middle brother, "Hoss," on Bonanza. Do you enjoy watching westerns? I do. I grew up with them on the TV and though we don't usually watch them at home these days, I often see episodes with an older gentleman I care for.

9) Random question: What inspires you?  People who live selflessly serving others.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy, I hope the PT helps your knee. My grandma made me and Raggedy Ann and Andy and I passed them to my granddaughter. I hope she passes them on. I have been doing a lot of reading. on book 11 of the Left Behind series. I picked up another Francine Rivers book to read in the future. I hope you have a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April was a rough month for me, too. Gum surgery, heel spurs, yeast infection ... I even got zits again! I was happy to turn the calendar to May!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charades is a British thing that they grow up with, so, they've had practice. Not fair! lol
    Sorry you're sick again. Knock on wood, I haven't had one respiratory problem since giving up sugar/carbs. I don't ever want to go back to the constant sicknesses. By the way, I've lost 45 lbs. Feels good.
    So glad you're keeping the blog going! I know you're super busy. Sure do miss ya when you're not here. I've started up again too.
    Blessings to you all. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 With the interstate I-95 shut down because of an accident the whole state is one big traffic jam.
    #4 I listen to audible books now.
    #8 I am hooked on Perry Mason reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the PT is working. 2024 has been quite a year! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you're sick again. Maybe you need vitamins? Hope you feel better soon. Good luck with the PT. I believe strongly that it can help with many things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to see you here today!! I'm sorry you are so sick again and that you have been so busy. Make some time for yourself, Stacy. Peace and hugs!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Astronomy …yes, I actually like that science, too

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 9: Tunnel of Love (1958)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it   here . 1) In this week's song, Doris Day tries to convince her lover to share a kiss in ...