Saturday, May 4, 2024

Sunday Stealing

1. Who is your best friend and why? I am not really a "best friends" kind of person at this point in life. I have a few close friends, but I can't say I'm closer to one than another. I probably do more with my mom and my daughter than anyone else. What do you like to do together?  We tend to share a love of Jesus, books, antiques, and thrifting but nearly anything can be fun done together.

2. What is your town like? It's a small town nestled in the foothills of the Laurel Highlands stretch of the Appalachian Mountains. We have lovely parks and nature centers; walking, hiking, and bike paths; lots of museums; theater; a wonderful college; and our claims to fame include being the hometown of Fred Rogers and Arnold Palmer as well as the birthplace of banana splits and professional football.  What are your favorite places to go?  I guess I'd have to say the parks and the thrift and antique stores.

3. What is your favorite meal? Just about anything with shrimp. Where and when do you eat it?  I will eat it anywhere that does a good job at preparing it because I'm not very good at cooking it at home. I can do an "ok" meal of it, but I've never managed to master it.

4. What is your job like? I spend my days working at the county blind association. There are two parts to the place. One part provides document destruction and has recently begun manufacturing metal hooks (all different sorts) for the military and the mining industry. The other part (where I work) seeks to teach our clients life skills. We cover manners, personal hygiene, cooking, etc. We also try to teach functional academics and provide opportunities to experience art, music, science, and other things. We have plenty of parties and celebrations and my department is usually in charge of those. What do you like about it?  It's different every day, it's fun, and I get to make a difference in the lives of the clients. 

In these photos (taken this past week) we were planting flowers and enjoying s'mores cooked in the solar ovens they made.



5. What is your favorite place to go on vacation?  I haven't been on an actual vacation since 2019. I didn't go anywhere last year because it was the first year at my job and I didn't have any PTO time yet and I'm not going anywhere this year because I used up ALL of my PTO time being sick in January. Anyway, at this point I'd be thrilled to go anywhere.

6. What country would you like to visit one day?  It's a tie...Israel, Egypt, and Greece.

7. What bores you the most?  I've never been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure after raising two kids with ADHD that I also have it. That said, I am very easily bored. It just depends on the situation. I can't say any one thing is worse than another.

8. What are you looking forward to this summer?  Hopefully, getting to do some fun things with the grandchildren on the weekends. Surely I will be through with sicknesses and I should have my first set of Euflexa (sp?) injections in my knee behind me so maybe I'll be getting around better.

9. What is your favorite film?  Dirty Dancing

10. Do you sing in the shower?  Only if no one is home. I can't carry a tune in a bucket or in the shower.

11. What is the best gift you’ve ever received?  The electric typewriter my parents gave me for Christmas my senior year of high school. We already knew I was going to school for journalism so it was much appreciated and much used.

12. Do you prefer being indoors or outdoors?  Outdoors if the weather is cooperating.  

13. When was the last time you cried, and why?  I don't know. There was a time when I cried a lot, but I've gone through a few really rough patches in the past when I cried so much I think I cried myself out. I don't really cry these days. Once in a while I feel like I wish I could, but the tears don't come.

14. What do you keep in your bag or handbag?  Wallet, keys, phone, mints, pens and highlighters, planner, sometimes a book, and right now a lot of cold medicines.

15. Can you play a musical instrument?  No

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think I have a mild case odf ADHD. Or maybe I take on too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highly intelligent people tend to be distracted easily. That's why I can stay so focused. lol
    #2 - I like nature for entertainment too. Not usually into the artificial stuff we humans make.
    Have a wonderful Sunday!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better soon. And the shots in your knee sound promising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3: One of my friends teases me because whenever we go to Mr. Rib and Beef I order the shrimp basket. But I can't resist good breaded shrimp! I like theirs because the breading doesn't overpower the shrimp. Besides, I'm a free thinker and can't be restricted by a name. :)
    #4: Your job looks so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS You asked what happens when a rideshare driver takes a route that takes longer than expected. They get paid less. As a rider, you're given a price upfront based on demand (how many drivers are available) and distance, and they honor that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't had a vacation since 2019, either. I think we're both due! That's a long time to be at home. I think you have a hard job; I am not sure I could do what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool that you live in Mister Rogers' neighborhood. I also never knew where banana splits and football originated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stacy. Your little town sounds nice. I am sure you will do some fun things with your grandkids this summer. My parents gave me an electric typewriter in high school too, and because I was also studying journalism in college, it got a lot of us. It's always nice to see what you are up to. Glad you are back in blogland. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm actually a little envious of your job! 'Wonder if your clients -- or you -- benefit most from these interactions. 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely get as much from them as they do from me.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed your answers, Stacy. I opted out of posting on Sundays but could have done this one! I hope you feel better and better each day and I also with you a beautiful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to hear from you again. I was thinking you were on a hiatus, but I've been so behind I don't know who's coming or going most days, including myself! LOL. I am sorry you have still been battling sickness, etc., and I pray you will soon be feeling so much better. You have a very meaningful job, and I know those dear souls appreciate you so much. What a blessing to be able to make such a difference in people's lives. Isn't it amazing how much we loved those electric typewriters back in the day? But boy, once the word processor came along and you could cut and paste and copy, etc., it sure made a huge difference in how we write! It opened up a whole new world for all of us who love to write! (or do so for a living). I didn't know Mr. Rogers was your "neighbor'. What a blessing to live in a neighborhood where he lived. It must be nice to be his "neighbor", even though he's no longer there, I can imagine his presence is still felt! Such a positive and kind person. Well, it's so good to catch up with you. I hope you get stronger and better every day. God bless you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 9: Tunnel of Love (1958)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it   here . 1) In this week's song, Doris Day tries to convince her lover to share a kiss in ...