Friday, July 5, 2024

Saturday 9: The Star Spangled Banner

... because Thursday was the 4th of July and we're still celebrating!

Unfamiliar with this Whitney's rendition? Hear it here.

1) Whitney Houston originally performed this in front of over 73,000 at the 1991 Super Bowl. What's the biggest crowd you have ever been in?  A Christian youth thing on the mall in Washington, D.C. There were close to 100,000 people at that.


2) Whitney's version of The National Anthem was released 10 years later, after 9/11, and the proceeds went to support New York's first responders. It was her last Top Ten single. What's your favorite Whitney Houston song?  I never really listened to her so I guess I'd choose the one you still hear everywhere...I Will Always Love You.

3) Whitney's friends recall she loved lavender -- both the color and the scent. What's your favorite color? What's your favorite scent?  I seem to be leaning toward blue and purple these days for color. As for scent, I love the smell of fresh, ripe, just-picked Concord grapes.

4) Whitney had a sweet tooth and loved Fruity Pebbles. If you reached for a snack right now, would it be sweet or salty?  Right now...probably sweet, though I usually prefer something salty. In a perfect world I'd have both together, like watermelon with salt, or salted caramel chocolates, or chocolate covered pretzels.

5) Whitney's grave marker bears the words, "I Will Always Love You," so clearly her family is proud of her best-selling recording. How would you like to be remembered?  For doing what I could to make life better for others.

6) Going back to 1991, when this recording was first popular, consumers who had a cell phones likely had flip phones. Technology has come a long way, hasn't it? What did you most recently use your cell phone for? (Calling, texting, looking something up, taking a photo, posting on your blog or social media ...)  Most recently? A phone call, but I used it for ALL of those things today.





7) In 1777, Colonists celebrated July 4 with the firing of cannons and muskets, followed by a public reading of the Declaration of Independence. What did your neighborhood to to celebrate 
the 4th of July?  My neighborhood didn't do anything. My town had a big parade, a carnival, concerts in the park, a car show, a Miss Fourth of July contest, a 5K run, and fireworks. Also, my county has one of the top 100 arts festivals in the country over the 4th of July weekend every year.

8) The Revolutionary War still raged during that summer of 1777. General George Washington allowed his soldiers to celebrate with a double ration of run on July 4. Do you know anyone who is serving in the military this 4th of July?  No. All of our family and friends are now out of the military.

9) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will/did you dine on to celebrate the 4th of July?  We had hamburgers and hotdogs cooked on the grill, pasta salad, potato salad, and watermelon.

Thanks to Crazy Sam for the music and questions!
You can play along here.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that mall event must have been amazing! Have a great and restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but I don't think I or the kids we took could really appreciate it. Everyone was supposed to be fasting so they were hungry and it was something like 105 degrees that day. Mostly everyone just sat or laid on the ground trying not to move too much.

      Delete
  2. My favorite color(s) is a two-tone French Racing Blue and pure White. It's a lovely combo. I have lots of favorite smells. Too many to list. I hope your better way of eating is going well and you're health is improving daily. Have a glorious day! 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like lots of scents, too. I just went with the first one I thought of.

      Delete
  3. I have so many favorite smells...wishing you a beautiful day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Tim is feeling better! Sounds like a quiet holiday was just what you had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stacy! I love that you want to be remembered for trying to make life better for others. What a worthy goal in life. I hope you have a great weekend. You and your family are doing well and that you making progress on your new health goals! See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to know more about the art festival! Sounds amazing! I enjoyed your answers, Stacy!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I won't be going this year. My legs won't take the walking at the moment (darn inflammation) but you can check it out here... https://artsandheritage.com/

      Delete

Currently

Reading... I'm not. I've been in a slump for a couple of weeks. I picked up a new Christmas paperback today so hopefully I'll s...