Monday, August 19, 2024

August Happiness Challenge, Day 19


The state recently changed the rules and all of the agencies with programs like the one I work for are scrambling. There used to be funding for community outings that helped the consumers integrate into the community. Now the state says unless the outings are strictly community service, no funding.

The problems with this new rule are many. For one thing, we (and the other agencies) run day programs. There are not a lot of volunteer opportunities between the hours of 9:30-1:30. Then there are the consumers themselves, at least at the agency I am at. We have a few high functioning ones, but many are lower. They can't always do what's available. Finally, there are still prejudices out there and we run into organizations who don't want "those kind" of people.

Today I contacted one of my former bosses from the nursing home (not the one that drove me to quit) who is also an old friend. We messaged back and forth and I think we've come up with something they can do. I'm so excited and can't wait to talk to my boss about it. I'm so happy I could do something to help.

5 comments:

  1. You are very creative in your response to your work. I applaud you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an excellent work-around, Stacy! Please keep us posted!! A happy outcome for all, I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacy. Sounds like you "went the second mile" to help those you work with have some opportunities to be out in the community. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've created an awesome opportunity for two populations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder you're excited and happy. You're having a real impact.

    ReplyDelete

It's Been a Week

So...Tim is home. He didn't get here until dinner time yesterday. If you are a friend on Facebook you've probably seen my post about...