Saturday, April 9, 2022

Saturday 9: (I Got Spurs That) Jingle Jangle Jingle

Good morning! Today is a little bit of a breather for me. I don't have to babysit my grandchildren or their cousin. My daughter and I, and maybe her husband, are taking the kids to the Easter egg hunt at my church today. They need something normal in their lives right now.

The days since our son-in-law's brother died have been difficult for everyone. I have had the kids all day every day and they've been pretty good, but they don't understand what's going on and they are missing mom and dad. I am glad they get to be with them today. Tomorrow they will be with Tim and I. I don't know about Monday and Tuesday they will be here again as that is the funeral.

I will update you all on what's been going on next week. It's a mess. Please keep praying, especially for Sarah, our daughter and son-in-law's niece, that things will work out in the best way possible for her.

Now on to the Saturday 9. Thanks goes to Sam for the music and questions.

Saturday 9: (I Got Spurs That) Jingle Jangle Jingle (1942)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a cowboy who is very happy about his single status. Is your closest friend married or single? Do you think he or she would be happier if their marital status changed?  She is married and I don't think she'd be happier if she was single. Not now, anyway. A couple of years ago she and her husband were going through something and it was ugly. I might have said she'd have been happier then, but they stayed together and they worked through everything and they are stronger and happier for it.
 
2) Our cowboy is riding merrily along on horseback. Do you often ride?  No. I wish I had the opportunity to do so. I was a major horse lover growing up and rode whenever I could, but at this point it's been years...decades even.
 
3) John Ritter/Jack Tripper used to sing the refrain of this song as he got ready for dates on Three's Company. Were you a fan of the show?  I was young enough that I probably didn't quite understand all of the humor, but I remember thinking it was funny and my parents always watched it. I've tried watching it in reruns, but for me anyway, the humor has not stood the test of time.

4) This was a top hit for bandleader Kay Kyser, who was popular during the Big Band Era. In those days, orchestras played behind vocalists, bandleaders were stars, and dances like the jitterbug and lindy hop were popular. Can you do either of those dances?  Nope, though thanks to my dad I love Big Band music. This is my favorite...


5) Kyser's orchestra featured many vocalists over the years. Harry Babbitt and Julie Conway sing this week's song. Another vocalist who toured with Kyser was Mike Douglas, who went on to host a syndicated talk show from 1961 to 1981. Do you recall The Mike Douglas Show?  I do. It was on every day at my house when I was growing up. 
 
6) Kyser suffered from arthritis and wanted to retire from touring in the mid-1940s but he couldn't because he was contractually committed to concert appearances. Is there anything on today's to-do list you don't really feel like doing?  Leaving the house. The weather is back to cold with a mix of rain and snow and with not having the kids for the first time in three days and Tim at work, my introverted self is LOVING all the quiet. It would be a great day to nap, read, or whatever....all alone....inside out of the cold. But we do what we must and the Easter egg hunt awaits.

7) Kay was a popular radio personality who combined music with comedy and quizzes. Today's most popular quiz shows are Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. On which show would you be a more successful contestant: Jeopardy! or Wheel of Fortune?  Definitely Wheel of Fortune. I'm not genius-y enough for Jeopardy! I do okay at it, but we all know "okay" is not good enough for that show.
 
8) In 1942, the year this record was popular, Aretha Franklin was born. What's your favorite Aretha Franklin song?  Chain of Fools

9) Random question: Do you sing in the shower?  Sometimes, but not as often as I used to.

9 comments:

  1. Chain was my pick too--it's a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping in prayer...so sad...especially when one is unsaved/not Christian. I worry about every single soul...as did our son...

    Not cold or rainy here, a bit chilly at 55-56, but it will warm up, grin. Have a beautiful day, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 When I was little my cousin owns a farm and had horses. When I was around 10 my uncle died and we were at their farm and we were down looking at the horses. One of the horses sneezed and it covered my brother's suit with... well stuff from the horse's stuffed up nose. It took me a long time to stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on #3. I was way too young to understand it.
    I love Big Band music too. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. #6--I love that feeling of finally having your own little slice of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read up on your posts about your daughter's brother-in-law. I'm sorry he declined medical care until it was too late.
    Take care of yourself, sounds like you have your hands full.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a "breather" today and hopefully the children had a great time at the Easter Egg Hunt. I bet they ate too much candy and are wound up now, but hopefully happy. I hope you can get some rest. Praying for your daughter and all the family situation. (((hugs))).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about Three's Company. It is not funny at all today but I loved it back in the day. Fun answers!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. #1 -- I think it's romantic when couples find their way back to one another.

    I'm sorry about the death in your extended family. Glad you're there for the little kids, though. This must be a confusing time for them.

    ReplyDelete

Sunday Stealing

1. Who is your best friend and why? I am not really a "best friends" kind of person at this point in life. I have a few close fri...