Thursday, April 7, 2022

Thankful Thursday

I shared this the other day, but I've
really been keeping it in mind today.
I'm posting this on Wednesday evening...probably the wee hours of Thursday by the time I am finished...because I won't have time tomorrow. As always, I am linking up with blogging buddy Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand. 

This post begins with the sad news that our son-in-law's brother passed away early Wednesday afternoon. When they drained the fluid from his chest cavity it stressed his heart and he went into cardiac arrest. They tried...but he remained unresponsive. What caused the fluid and elevated liver enzymes will remain unknown. The family does not want to know. There will be no viewing and only a quick grave-side service for the immediate family. Not because of Covid fears, but because one, the family is rather reclusive and believes people will only come out of nosiness (they have gone so far as to block the drive back into their house so no one can visit to offer condolences) and two, because they don't want to see him again or deal with it.

Because there is a real fear his ex (the mother of his daughter) will come back as soon as she hears to try and steal anything and everything she can get her hands on, our daughter and her husband spent the evening at his home. They put padlocks on the doors and began taking out anything of value. It's a process that will have to be done even more quickly because when they got there they found a foreclosure notice had been posted on the door at 12:45 today. There is also a fear that she will take the girl, not out of love, but because if she has her, she will have control of the Social Security payments the girl will have coming until she's 18...or longer, because there is definitely something not right with her.

I have had our grandchildren and their cousin all day. I am tired, but I need down time. I am getting old to be chasing after three little ones aged 5, 4, and 2. They didn't pick them up until 10:30. I will have them all day tomorrow, too, but possibly a friend of our daughter and her husband will take them in the evening because her husband is going to help them get things out of the house. I love them, but hope so. The three of them are a lot as their cousin fits between them and totally throws the dynamics...and she just doesn't understand certain ways to behave or not behave and our grandchildren are having a bit of a time adjusting to it.

So far, our son-in-law's parents are refusing to see the girl. They say it's too hard. I hope that passes, but given how the mother has treated the girl in the past I'm not holding my breath. She is really off the deep end today, however, with grief and I'm sure no small amount of guilt for not doing anything long before yesterday. Our daughter had been trying to get them to listen for months and had really stepped up the campaign the last couple of weeks and they brushed it off.

Sadly, he did not know the Lord. My heart breaks for what I know his fate to be. 

Anyway, in the midst of this mess I've found a lot to be thankful for.

My relatively normal family, our mental health, and the way we love and support each other. None of us would ever allow any of the others to come to such a fate without doing everything within our power to prevent it.

My daughter's big heart. She tried so hard and cared so much. She continues to do so, jumping in to take the lead in all of this even after how they've treated her and sometimes continue to treat her.

I am glad I am not working and am able to be home to help my daughter and son-in-law out by taking care of the kids.

The little girl remains blissfully unaware. My daughter and I talked to her about it, but it doesn't seem to mean anything to her. 

My church family has been absolutely amazing! This isn't even an actual family member for me, but so many of them have reached out and offered to help with the kids, bring meals, or anything we need. I have also been given a pass on working at the Easter egg hunt on Saturday or baking cookies for it. I am hoping we can still take the kids, though. I can't thank God enough for bringing me to this church.

Our granddaughter was not hurt when her cousin pushed her off the bed in the play room this evening. It scared the daylights out of me. She made a very loud thud.

I found craft kits for the girls at Goodwill this morning, not knowing I'd need them today, but it was a good find. They had a lot of fun decorating their very own princess hand mirrors with sparkly jewels. Tomorrow when the glue is dry they can add the stickers.

And in other things...

I won a free book in a Goodreads drawing!

We had about 30 people show up to fill plastic eggs for the Easter egg hunt last night and we filled over 1000 eggs in under an hour!

I have wonderful friends!

I have a big, wonderful, amazing, God who loves me!

I'm not sure how this whole mess will be playing out so I will see you when I see you. Maybe late Thursday evening, maybe Friday...maybe not until next week.

8 comments:

  1. Praying for your family Stacy. Maybe your son in law's brother had a bad liver? He was so young. I am glad your church is being so supportive. I am glad you are not working too. Oh, my comment board is working again. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pickle, 'ey? So sorry you're all having to deal with this. I have found that most of us don't listen to good advice, though. I didn't when I was younger and got into all kinds of unhealthy situations. Experience keeps a dear school but a fool will learn in no other. [Benjamin Franklin] I'm so grateful to have Jesus Christ. I have been the fool sometimes too.
    Prayers & Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally gasped reading this...I cant believe he passed away - heart breaking!!!
    Praying for the next few days/weeks as everyone handles their grief & hopefully it doesnt cause more distrubtion. The whole story is so sad.

    YOU WON A GOODREADS GIVEAWAY? That's awesome!
    Hope you find that extra boost with those grands. It is EXHAUSTING chasing & keeping up with little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read he has passed away and in great distress that he did not know Christ...it always distresses me...

    Keeping that little girl in prayer...sending much love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even in the midst of all of your trials, I love that you find so many things to be thankful for. God is always so kind and loving to us. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my, Stacy. Such a sad story about the tragic loss of your SIL's brother. Prayers lifted for the family. Your thankful list is uplifting and faithful to our Lord and Savior. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so sorry to hear about your son in law's brother. How sad. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. I hope things settle down soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Stacy, I am so sorry to hear this news. I just saw your latest post and realized I must have missed something, so came back and found this. I am very sorry for the sudden passing of your son in law's brother. I know this is very hard on your whole family, especially in regards to the little one who is staying with them and all of the other situation regarding her. Praying for all of you as this definitely will have an impact on your whole family. So thankful you have good friends and church and people who are reaching out to help you. What a blessing. (((hugs))) for all of you right now. Praying.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 9: Tunnel of Love (1958)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it   here . 1) In this week's song, Doris Day tries to convince her lover to share a kiss in ...