Monday, May 9, 2022

Currently

The Scene

It's a cool 41 degrees, but sunny on this Monday morning. The temperature should reach 68 degrees later. Sun and nice weather are predicted for most of the week. It will give everything a chance to dry out after getting 2.5 inches of rain over the weekend. Allergies are really ramping up.

The Weekend

Saturday was the Women's Tea/Brunch at church. (Sorry, no photos. I forgot my phone.) I was blessed to have Mom, Angel (a former client), and two friends with me. The day was cool and rainy so the tea was a nice diversion. We enjoyed the testimony of a new church attender, a talk about hospitality from the pastor's wife, and of course, the yummy food...several breakfast casseroles, muffins, Danishes, and fruit salads. We had a winning group. I won the potted succulent that was part of the table's center piece. Mom won a copy of the book we will be reading and discussing in the fall. My friend, Fran, won a copy of a book about hospitality that our summer women's sessions will be taken from. Both gifted me with the books since they don't plan to attend the lessons. The rest of the day was given over to hibernation. I read, played around on the laptop, and did some organizing in my office. 

Sunday was, of course, Mother's Day and it was a beautiful, if cool, sunny day. I had a bit of a rough time with it this year. A combination of things brought it on. Tim had to work to get something done while a company was closed...sitting alone in church surrounded by families whose children and grandchildren were with them...and it's hard on a day like Mother's Day not to think about our son's estrangement. Our daughter's family have all been battling colds and/or allergies so Mom has been staying away from them. 

So there were no plans. I planned to enjoy a quiet day to myself after delivering cards and gifts to Mom and Megan, but Colton and Leah came over for a while and Tim got home as they were getting ready to leave. Megan and the kids did brighten my day with a cute "Nana" gift, and really sweet cards. Megan even found a card to give me from "Jasper" that is really cute and funny. Megan also posted a really sweet Mother's Day thank you on Facebook that I appreciated.

Watching

Roku just added Plex TV to the lineup and we have been watching some older shows and movies. At the moment I'm halfway paying attention to The Dana Garvey Show. Do you remember he had a comedy skit show in the 90's? I didn't. I didn't and I used to like his comedy a lot. The cast includes Steve Carell and Stephen Cobert, who I totally didn't recognize! It's funny, but only because I lived through the 90's. Younger people probably wouldn't get it. Also, a good bit of it wouldn't fly in today's era of the terminally offended.

Listening To

The sound of heavy equipment. This whole week is supposed to be dry and sunny so the township is finally starting its project to eliminate some minor flooding on the next street over. That means they will be digging up several front yards and the street in order to put in a new catch basin at the corner of our lot and run a new pipe under the road and between all the neighbors across the way. Megan's yard will be getting dug up, too. Everyone is just so excited, but if it ends the flooding I guess it's a good thing.

Wondering

When I will be able to make a visit to my biological father. I sent a text on Friday asking when he would be coming back to PA for the summer and found out he's been on the trip back for a little while already. He was in Indiana visiting my half-sister. He'd already visited my brother. He should be in PA today or tomorrow. I am very conscious of time when it comes to him. He has been showing more signs of age and health problems in the last year. He is 85. I don't have a lot of time left with him and since I just met him two years ago, I want to spend as much time as I am able to listening to his stories about his life and the family.

Thankful

I woke up feeling pretty crappy this morning and was afraid I was getting the bug that Megan's family has been fighting, but now that I've been up a while, taken my vitamins, meds, and allergy pill I'm feeling a lot better. I'm thinking it's just the allergies ramping up since everything is finally starting to sprout and bloom.

Today's Plan

  • Laundry
  • Start switching out winter clothes for summer clothes.
  • Continue cleaning up my office: go through drawers and boxes and eliminate things not used for more than a year.
  • Take a load of things to Goodwill. (And do not go in looking for more!)
  • Make an appointment for the dog to get groomed.
This Week
  • Possibly picking Colton up from school on Thursday and watching him and Leah while Cody and Megan meet with Cody's parents and an attorney concerning legal questions about his late brother's daughter and her mother.
  • Watching Leah Thursday evening for sure while Cody does something with his parents and Megan and Colton attend his online virtual kindergarten orientation.
  • Watching the kids on Friday while Megan goes to Colton's parent/teacher conference.
  • Hopefully, meeting up with my friend, Fran, to go to Crumpets, a local tea shop, for a pot of tea, fresh crumpets, and conversation.


7 comments:

  1. Sounds like your Bio-dad is still getting around good though - that's good!
    I honestly hate going to church on Mother's Day - i think its such a strange day to praise women & exclude others - It can be such an emotion filled day. yes, there was the mom's who have the families around them & love the celebration - but I always hate when there's anything that EXCLUDES people - especially in a church.
    Glad you're feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been to a church in a very long time...hoping to remedy that soon. I emailed you, hope you have a beautiful day, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you can sort out plans with your biological father soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what happened to my earlier comment; trying again!
    Let's see -- Saturday's tea/brunch sounds really great and congrats on the 'loot'! I'm sorry your Mother's Day was less than you hoped for; I noticed our church attendance was lesser than usual. We talked about it a bit at Bible study this morning and agreed, Mother's Day (and Father's Day, too) can feel burdensome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you found such a great church and church family. It sure makes a difference in our lives! Wishing you a good week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss having teas at out church. I hope you can get to see your dad. Enjoy your week, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping you can get together with your bio dad soon. One of the regrets I have is that I didn't ask my family members about themselves when I had the chance. Also, I'd love to have tea at a place called Crumpets!

    ReplyDelete

Sunday Stealing

1. Who is your best friend and why? I am not really a "best friends" kind of person at this point in life. I have a few close fri...