Monday, June 20, 2022

For Today...

Outside my window: Partly cloudy skies and continued cool temperatures. Today's predicted high is 71 degrees. The flowers continue to flourish. Lilies and roses are especially lovely this year. I had to take down my hanging basket with the cucumber and tomato plants. It just wasn't doing well. I put the pot inside a larger pot, really drenched it (even though I've been watering 3x per day!) and moved it onto the deck where it receives far fewer hours of direct sunlight and it has popped back to life. Last night I also took down the hanging basket of red, white, and purple trailing verbena with the hope that the same treatment will perk it up.

On my mind: The same things on everyone's mind these days...inflation and rising gas prices. I'm doing what I can to stretch each dollar. I don't worry, per se, I know God is in control, but I also don't believe God expects us to just sit back when he has given us wonderful minds and bodies to do the work of living. We are told to be good stewards of the gifts we are given so I am trying to do that. Being frugal, trying to get the family to not be so wasteful, doing without some things we've taken for granted, but are in reality luxuries, making do, being content with what I have and being at home more.

I am thankful: We were able to get together as a family yesterday and celebrate Father's Day with a simple, homecooked meal. I made meatloaf, roasted and seasoned potato wedges, and corn-on-the-cob with homemade chocolate chip cookies and ice cream for dessert. It was a beautiful day so we ate and visited on the deck and later all of us but our son-in-law and my stepfather went for a walk around the neighborhood.

I am remembering: the men in my life who have been cast in the role of father. I have had an adopted father, a stepfather (though he came along when I was in my 30's), a grandfather who served as a father figure during my earliest years, and in the last few years, my biologic father has joined the cast. None of the men were  or are affectionate "daddy" types. They were good men, but flawed. In one case absent. In another, overbearing and controlling. Even the grandfather who was better than all the rest, was the one who manipulated things so that I never knew my birth father until I was 55 years old. It's all left me with rather conflicted feelings when it comes to Father's Day.

In the kitchen: As mentioned, lots of cooking from scratch and since it's summer, lots of lighter foods, fresh foods...veggies and seafoods. Last night we had grilled skewers of shrimp seasoned with the Maine Seafood Seasoning I bought in Bar Harbor back in 2019 when we visited during our cruise. We had corn-on-the-cob and sliced veggies with peppercorn ranch dressing with the shrimp. It was delicious!

I have enjoyed: going to used book sales. I went to a HUGE one on Friday with a friend from high school. It was fun to look at the books and nice to catch up with her. After all the clearing out of stuff I've done, I restrained myself and only bought one bag of books and a couple were cookbooks and a couple were for the kids. I also found 3 good devotionals and picked them up so I'll have them when I need to start a new one. The sale Saturday was at our local library and not nearly as big. It's run by a handful of retired teachers and librarians (my mom is one of them) who want to support the library, but are not as energetic as they once were. It was "sneak preview day" so I paid a $5 fee to get in and have first crack at the books...well me and about 20 other people. Again, I was pretty restrained and only came home with one bag of books, about half of which were for the kids.

On this week's agenda: I am planning to go today and put in applications at a few places. Then I will be babysitting Colton and Leah all day Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday while my daughter trains for her new job.

Leaving you with this thought:




7 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. I enjoyed this interesting and honest post. So glad you all had a good family Father's Day. I would love to have gone to those used book sales with yout! I love the quote by Thomas Jefferson at the end. I hope that you have a good day today and that the week ahead is a good one for you and your family. Sounds like you will be busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully we have God the Father to be a father to us always. Interesting quote by Jefferson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your thoughts on dealing with inflation -- and look forward to resuming that 'simpler' lifestyle once our out-of-town company leaves and Tom gets through the cardio procedure. Never in a million years could I believe I'm thinking (I'm) sick and tired of eating out. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a bit behind in reading and trying to get caught up. I just realized that when you changed your blog over to this new blog I apparently never "followed" it, so I don't get the feed on this when you post something new. I have to go looking for it. So I just corrected that problem. I wonder if all of your previous followers know they have to follow again to get this one? I wondered why I wasn't seeing it pop up in my list. Anyway, that's fixed so maybe I'll keep up better now. Sound like you had a great weekend, and those books all sound great. I haven't bought any books in a while as we just don't have room for them. If I want to read I get it at the library and take it back when I am done. I used to buy a lot of old books at estate sales, etc., esp. when we lived in Ohio. But those days are gone and I've purged my books down to just the ones I really want to keep. Some are so old they are falling apart and pages are very brittle, but I love them. Oh well, like me. LOL. (((hugs))) to you regarding your fathers and also your son situation. Relationships can be so difficult, but praise God, He's always there for us and will never ever fail us, even when our fathers or mothers may. We are blessed to be His children. I enjoyed reading your last two posts...and thank you for visiting me even when I haven't been as "faithful" as I should be. I hope that is fixed now! Have a wonderful week my friend. Good luck in your job search. May God lead you to exactly the right place at the right time. He will. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd pay for the sneak peek too to grab the best books - that's a cool idea
    Yep - time for those lighter dishes for summer. I usually dont have any appetite when it gets hot (how do I still gain weight??? The laws of nature confuse me)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Let's enjoy this cooler weather for the next few days!!! I agree with the lighter, fresher meals this time of year! Except today...I have chicken and waffles on the menu! LOL Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to President Jefferson's quote. Nice that you found some good books at the sales! Meatloaf sounds really good. I may have to make some this week. Love & hugs, Stacy! Good luck with the applications!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...