Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Summertime Wednesday Hodgepodge

Join in the fun here.
1. Something you learned from your father? My dad had two rules that were pretty much the guiding forces of his life and they've definitely influenced me. 1) If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all.  2) If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well. I wish a lot more people followed those rules these days.

2. Do you like onions? Raw or cooked? How about onion rings? What's something you love to eat that calls for onions?  I only like onions when they are cooked (onion flavored things are okay). Since I am from southwestern PA, I love pierogies and if you're going to eat pierogies, they need to be served with butter and onions fried in that butter. Oh, and yes, I like onion rings...if they are cooked until they are good and crispy.

3. It's officially summer (in the Northern hemisphere)...your favorite and least favorite things about the season?  My favorite thing is that there is so much to do and yet the pace is slower and more relaxed. My least favorite thing is the heat and humidity.

4. When you think about the summers of your childhood what are two or three things that come to mind?  Being outside all day and only coming in at night when the adults made us. All the kids in the neighborhood hanging out and playing together. I hate that it's so rare to see kids outside playing these days. I also think of the two weeks I spent at my grandparents' home every summer...playing in the creek, hunting fossils, going to amusement parks.

5.  A hot mess, the heat of the moment, beat the heat, if you can't stand the heat, catch heat, in a dead heat...choose a 'hot 'phrase and tell us how it applies to your life right now.  I'm going with "hot mess." The temperatures are back in the 90's this week and I'm babysitting my grandchildren while my daughter trains for a new job. It's too hot to play outside so we are stuck inside watching movies and trying to stay amused. They have stuff everywhere! Today was a lonnnng day, but one down and only 2 more to go! LOL

6. Insert your own random thought here.  Well, I am going back to work. I got the call that my background checks came back okay today so I'll do my drug test and paperwork on Saturday. I will probably do my training days next week.

What will I be doing? I'm going back to a nursing home, though a very exclusive private one this time. The atmosphere is soooo different than the last one I worked at. Everyone is so friendly and nice and you can tell people actually enjoy their jobs. I will be in the memory care unit again, but I won't be an activities aide. They didn't have any openings right now. I'm going to be a caregiver, basically, an uncertified nursing assistant. It will be very much "hands on." I'm only going to be part-time, working daylight every other weekend and then one or two afternoon shifts during the week to get my hours. It won't be too bad and I'll still have lots of time for Colton and Leah, which was my big concern.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job and still getting time with the kids. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like the new job. Sounds like you will still have plenty of time for your grandchildren. Your memories of summer are much like mine. Lots of carefree playing outside. Fun times. Hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - that's so funny... the last book I just read, the woman made pierogies & I had to look it up to see what they were - & here you are talking about them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to kick my kids outside as much as I can, given this gaming/phone driven world they now live in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got home from visiting Helen and I just want to say God bless you and all who work in memory care units. Just God bless you!! (I'm glad you got the job and hours you want and wish you good luck and good experiences!!)

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...