Friday, June 10, 2022

Saturday 9: Let Me Love You Tonight

Linking up with Sam and the gang at Saturday 9 for some musical fun...and today's song choice definitely brings back some fun memories. Pure Prairie League was the first concert I ever went to back in 1981.

Saturday 9: Let Me Love You Tonight (1980)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) Pure Prairie League was a country rock band signed by Casablanca Records in 1980. The label, known for disco hits, wanted to expand their client roster in case disco died. (Which it did, and Casablanca ultimately went bankrupt.) Disco can be a polarizing topic among music fans. Do you love it or loathe it?  I still love it! Admittedly, I have to be in the mood, but when I am I love to pop in a CD or ask Alexa to play some disco, crank up the volume and dance my way through house work or jam driving down the road.  

Weird FYI: My junior high school used to make us learn disco, polka, and square dancing in gym then participate in dance contests. The winners had to show their skills in front of the whole school. My partner and I won first place in disco.

2) In this song, lead singer Vince Gill encourages his girl to hold him tight. Who did you most recently hug?  My granddaughter! She is on a kick right now where she likes Nanny better than everyone and always wants to be with me.
 
3) Vince Gill left The Pure Prairie League in 1982 and went on to be a solo success. Tell us about a job you were glad you left.  Um...all of them. I wouldn't have left them if it wasn't time for one reason or another, but leaving the nursing home right before the pandemic lockdown began was probably the one I was gladdest about. I had the worst boss ever at that one.

4) He says his favorite song is the country classic, "He Stopped Loving Her Today." Do you often listen to country?  I go through phases. There are some I will listen to at any time (like Toby Keith) but these days I have to be in the mood to listen to the genre in general. The country stations are programmed into my car radio, but I listen to 70's and 80's stuff more.

5) Vince joined The Eagles on tour after the 2016 death of Glenn Frey, taking over Frey's guitar solos. Do you have a favorite Eagles song?  Either Take It Easy or Hotel California.
 
6) Vince met future wife, singer Amy Grant, when she performed on his Christmas TV special. Have you ever had a workplace romance?  I met my husband at work.
 
7) In 1980, when this song was popular, The Love Boat was a hit. Have you ever taken a cruise? If yes, where did you go?  A cruise was the last vacation we took back in 2019. We sailed out of Baltimore and spent 10 days going up the New England coast, over to Nova Scotia, and back. It was our first cruise. I never thought I'd like a cruise, but this was a smaller ship and while there were kids, there weren't a lot. I loved it! I'm pretty sure had I gone on one of those massive party ships with thousands of kids that sail to their own islands in the Caribbean I would have hated it and be poisoned on cruises forever. 
 
8) 1980 also gave us the Post-It Note. What did you most recently write on a Post-It?  I have no idea, but probably a note while doing a Bible study.

9) Random question: You find yourself one of three strangers trapped in an elevator. Would you rather the other two people be a man and a woman, two men, or two women?  One of each sounds right to me. I'd worry about how two men might behave and women can be rather whiney or catty, both of which drive me nuts. Perhaps with one of each we'd balance each other out, keep calm heads, and either come up with a plan or pass the time amicably.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this week's song brings back nice memories.

    #8 -- It was harder for me than I thought it would be. I most often use Post-Its to mark my place in a book or a multi-page work document. I really don't WRITE on them all that often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you got 10 day on the cruise! I would love to do another one. Great that you won that disco contest! I totally agree with number 9!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 I was never a big fan of Hotel California" I liked all the other songs just not that one.
    #7 That sounded like a nice cruise up the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I thought MINE was the worst boss ever. Curious isn't it, they were/are both women. Alexa can be a pain at times, but I love being able to get a sampling without having to buy the whole meal ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was glad when you left the nursing home. It just sounded so bad.
    The cruise sounds amazing! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1--we had to learn the dances but never had to perform before the whole school. What a fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding a job that's a good fit can be problematic sometimes. I remember your cruise, you enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First place in disco dancing!! Awesome!! Your New England cruise sounds nice. Maybe I'll try one again some day...

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...