Monday, June 13, 2022

The Weekend & A Shift in Thought

We had a pretty quiet weekend around here. Tim worked on Saturday and I was up early and on the road with Mom to West Newton's library. They were having a bag sale on used books and a jewelry sale at "drastically" reduced prices. Who are we to say no to a book sale or drastically reduced jewelry?

I spent $8 and came home with a bag of books, which also included a read-along book and CD of The Little Mermaid (Leah is very into Mermaids right now), DVD's of the first two Pirates of the Caribbean movies, a DVD of Space Cowboys for Tim, a pair of Christmas earrings, a sweet turquoise leather bracelet with slide charms that spell L-O-V-E and a leaf, and a classic Avon brooch that is a gold bow you change the dangling charms on for each holiday.

We were home by lunchtime and the rest of the day was spent on laundry, reading, and a visit from the kids. Supper was meatball subs. We sat out on the porch swing for a bit and then Tim was ready for bed and I watched some television.

On Sunday I went to church and Tim worked on fixing our riding mower (Megan had run over a steel bar last week and broken some part. The part came quickly from Amazon, but Tim hadn't had time to fix it before that. He also got the solar light caps Mom gave me for the deck put on. It rained off and on part of the day and then got icky muggy so we stayed inside all afternoon and evening. The kids were in and out, though.

One of the things I did while staying inside enjoying the A/C yesterday was search online job listings. With gas prices rising and the cost of everything else going up, too, I am feeling guilty about being at home and Tim having to bear all the burden. 

I am thinking I will apply at a couple of the nursing homes in the area, including the one Megan just got hired at. I have some of my certifications and my Covid vaccines are up to date so if I got hired it's possible I'd actually start before her! If I go there, I'd be looking at being an aide/companion. 

Another home I'm looking at needs someone for transportation. It would be driving residents to appointments and activities. It would be daylight and mostly Monday-Friday, but it would be full-time...and their ad said nothing about what it pays. The other one pays $14.50 to start and would be part-time, which I'd rather do, at least until the grands are in school full-time.

Aside from looking for a job, I'm really trying to cut costs where I can and live more like folks used to....simply and frugally. I admit we haven't really lived like that all the time over the years, but I do grasp the concept having grown up with it. It was simply the way of life, how everyone did things back then. 

When my daughter looks at me and says they are doing without and living simply because they only went out to eat one time last week...I cringe. She views going out once a week as real deprivation and doing without. When money gets tight it never crosses her mind to cut luxuries like Disney+ or things like it. Our son-in-law won't even consider trying to break his chew habit and that costs him nearly $100 per week! It makes it very apparent that we dropped the ball showing our kids how to be self-sufficient. We know how, but we didn't pass it on. 

I think it's probably the same for many my age (57 and the tail-end of the Boomers). We were blessed to have grown up during this country's safest, most prosperous times. Most of us never really had to do without or make-do. If something broke we didn't fix it because the money was there to buy a new one and that stretched into burying our kids under a mountain of possessions that were taken for granted. We also bought a new one when nothing was wrong with the old one except a newer, more exciting, one came out. Fueled by marketing and the media, we wanted it ALL and we were told we could have it and thanks to loosey-goosey credit, we could have it NOW and pay later!

Anyway, the economy has me searching for a job and going back to things I grew up with...not eating out, simple meals, less meat and more veggies, homemade treats, little to no recreational shopping, doing things at home or that don't cost much if anything, etc.

Now I'm wondering, is the economy changing the way you're living? Are you cutting back or changing how you do things? Do tell. I'd love to hear!

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you got a wonderful haul...books and jewelry! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy! I always love library books sales. Sounds like you got some neat stuff! Good luck with finding a job you will enjoy to bring in some extra $$$. We haven't made too many changes because of inflation, but I will tell you that paying over $6 a gallon for gas when we were recently in California was not fun. Gas is over $5 a gallon here in Utah. I am getting a cost of living raise of over 4% at work for next school year, but with inflation over 8%, I feel like I am losing ground. I do worry about Josh being able to get a well-paying job in Idaho when we goes up to school at BYU-Idaho next month. He uses Doordash a lot which is a super expensive way to get food, but I don't say much. He knows he pays about twice as much for food by using Doordash. I totally don't get it, but I figure he will probably change when he gets to college. I try to say little and let experience be the teacher. I used to say more to my kids, but found they did what they wanted anyway. Anyway, I totally get the inflation frustration. Crazy times we live in for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have hit the $5/gal mark here in PA and it's not fun at all. Not so much for me, but Tim has to drive an hour each way to the job site. It's running about $225/wk to keep gas in the truck...and that is only one tank! They gave Tim a bit of a raise in January or February when prices first started to climb, but it doesn't make much difference at this point. Doordash is ridiculous! We used them maybe twice and you are right, I pay online which includes the price of the food, a convenience fee, taxes, some kind of service fee and a tip. Then the driver gets here and expects another tip! You are right when it comes to telling our adult kids things...they just have to learn the hard way for themselves.

      Delete
  3. Gas prices are killing me, so yes. I work three shifts just to cover gasoline for my commute to work. I go out to eat once a week and don't always order what I really want because it is too expensive. I don't pay full price for clothing or shoes. Has to be on sale. I spent way too much money on groceries this month because I had company here - twice as much as usual. Yes. Inflation is out of control. So that is my opinion. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I didn't realize you were working 3 shifts. That's crazy! And just makes me so mad when there's no reason, except the current administration's stubbornness, we can't open up gas and oil production here and bring the price down. We haven't been going out at all or buying clothes lately. I feel so bad for young families like my daughter's with kids at home. I don't know how they can manage.

      Delete
  4. Horrible inflation. EVERYTHING IS UP cost wise. We share food costs and electric costs since we are still living with friends. It just horrible...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Dems let things get bad enough for long enough, we may all have to look into cost sharing and consider living Walton style (3 or 4 generations living under the same roof...*shudder*).

      Delete
  5. Aside from travel to doctors' appointments, we don't get out that much. The church, haircutters and grocery/pharmacy are all within a 2-3 mi. radius from our house. I've not been to a book fair in years, but these estate sales are a great resource -- both for reading material and gently-used articles of clothing. If we eat 'out' once a month, that's a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me angry and sad to hear about seniors who can't do what they want to do in their retirement, but it also worries me. Tim has the max taken out of his pay and plugged into a 401K (we have to or else we end up owing the IRS a ridiculous amount every year) and we worry if there will even be anything in there by the time we can think about retirement. Sigh.

      Delete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...