Monday, September 12, 2022

Just for Today...

The weather is a comfortable 75 degrees with on and off showers. Fall is in the air when I step outside. The leaves from the Poplar tree, always the first to burst forth in the spring, are drifting down and covering the lawn as they are also always the first to fall. Cicadas drone through the day and fall peepers chirp in the night air. Children drag their feet on the way to the school bus stop in the morning and race home in the afternoon like wolves are on their tails. The leaves are beginning to lose the deep emerald green of summer and are sporting a more washed out shade. It won't be long, a few weeks at most, until they paint the world with their vibrant palette of crimson, gold, orange, green and brown.

The bad news is that I didn't get the job at the library.

The good news is that they were impressed with my answers at the interview and while they chose another candidate this time (due to more knowledge and experience with computers and office machines) they are keeping my resume on file for consideration the next time a position opens. 

My days are filled with babysitting even though both Colton and Leah are now in school all day. With all the health problems our daughter is having she needs me to take them quite often because she is just not able. I also continue to work on organizing the house and paring down the clutter. I find what I've accomplished so far, pleasing and more open spaces translates to more relaxation for me. I'm learning that the chaos of too much stuff agitates and stresses me these days. I'm glad to see it go.

At church we are all working hard to have programs to minister to young families. Even if we aren't using them yet, it is better to be ready to go at a moment's notice when a family with children visits. We are getting everyone their clearances and training, and it has come in handy. We have a young mother who comes alone each Sunday with her 9 month old twins. So far, they are the only little ones, but Leah goes with me when I take my turn in the nursery and I am hoping she will start going with me even when I don't work in there. Colton is a harder sell. (Did I mention our daughter and her husband have finally given me the okay to take the kids to church with me if they want to go?)

Small groups, which meet in homes from September through May, are starting up again this week. A friend from the home Bible study I was part of for 12 years is going to go with me this year. We also have a meeting of women called At the Table once a month for a meal at a local restaurant. It's just a great time of fellowship and getting to know one another since so many in the church have just joined in the last year or so. Another group, Prime Time, begins this month. It's a group for seniors or those "in their prime." It's up to you if you think you are in your prime. Ha! That one will meet quarterly. 

Pastor is preaching on 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus on Sunday mornings to teach us about the God-ordained order of things within the church and what qualities the leadership (and really, all believers) should exhibit in their daily lives. I've studied it before, but I so appreciate Pastor Kirt's perspective and wisdom.

So, we are growing and active and I am happy to see the church thriving in these times.

Our grandnephew, Lucas has had a bit of a rough time since receiving the bone marrow and stem cell transplant. The chemo finally caught up to him and he was so sick all the time. He couldn't keep anything down and lost a good bit of weight...scary when he only weighed 67 pounds to begin with. It seems they finally got the nausea under control and today's blood work brought the best of news. His white blood cells have engrafted, that's a week or two ahead of schedule! Now to get those red blood cells and platelets to engraft. He is doing great considering and all that he is going through is considered normal. He even got weaned off oxygen today and they will begin to wean him off of some of his meds. He has been a real trooper with the only thing that bothered him being the loss of his hair. In every picture his mom sends out to family he is beaming a big smile.

In the kitchen and at the store creativity is the name of the game. In some cases it's because certain items have become ridiculously expensive and in others it's because some things are just not on the shelves or they are only available sporadically and you'd better catch them when they first get put out.

Some price increases are noticeable but not yet in the realm of the ridiculous, but this week I found two items that had me sputtering. First, Charmin toilet paper. I usually buy a big pack of at least 18 rolls and I also buy the jumbo or super jumbo sized rolls (what can I say, I hate to change the roll) but this week I found the 18-roll package priced at a little over $28! For something I'm literally going to flush down the toilet! Hello, Great Value semi-equivalent toilet paper, which is more than $10 less for the same number of rolls. The other thing that killed me was the case of Coke in cans that my husband likes to take in his lunches through the week. Those were $8 at the beginning of the summer. By July they were about $10 and this week they are $12. 

I used to be a big magazine reader. I still enjoy them, but am I the only one who has issues paying $15 for a magazine? They are going to be priced right out of existence. They already only come out quarterly and many that I used to enjoy are long gone or have drastically changed their format trying to stay in the game.

Meat continues to become ever more expensive and finding what you want is hit or miss, particularly with any kind of chicken. Creativity and flexibility are the name of the game. I'm doing a lot of crockpot cooking in order to make less expensive meats more tender and flavorful. I really should drag out the Instant Pot my husband bought me last year and master that, too, as I understand it does the same thing in a fraction of the time.

I'm reading just about everything these days. I've been tearing through books recently. I set my goal on Goodreads for 30 books this year to ease back into the swing of reading. I have two more to go to hit my goal. I just finished some local history books on our town and on Mr. Rogers, who is a local son, as well as Brit-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman. Backman is one of those writers who has such a rare gift with words. He manages to take the smallest, seemingly insignificant moment in a life and make it into something that takes your breath away. I've never read any other writer who can so capture the inner workings of the human mind.

I've decided to read The Replacement Wife by Darby Kane next. I haven't read a good thriller in a while.

I'm thankful for our grandnephew's good report; that our daughter and her family are getting away for a few days next week; that Tim and I are in a good spot in our marriage right now; I'm healthy enough and available to help out with the grandchildren; for my church family; for lovely weather; good books; hearty and savory meals; and pumpkin spice flavored everything!

Photos to share:

Colton's first bus ride!


Leah ready to take on the world...
or at least the first day of school.


Pappy talking to Leah and cousin, Sarah
as they enjoy their Happy Meals on
Labor Day.


Colton was in a bit of a mood on Labor
Day. He just took it all in.


Tim, the Grill Master.


We don't know what was up, but Colt 
got his daddy to take him home right
after we ate. The girls followed soon
after and Megan wasn't feeling well that
day stayed a little longer but went home
early, as well. We had a nice afternoon
visiting with Mom and John.




7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post, Stacy. Praises for the good news on Lucas. Colton and Leah are so cute! I'm sorry Megan is still having health issues. I really enjoy my home group from church. We meet twice a month at different homes. I'm so happy for you to have a good church again! Sorry about the library job. God is in control. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has to get an MRI, see a neurologist (appts with those are months out) and an eye doctor in case it's something with the eye, but everyone she sees keeps mentioning MS. I guess the MRI will show if there is a big problem going on with her brain. I love the home groups, too, but I think I would like it even more if it was only twice a month like yours. Sometimes every week can be a bit much depending on what's going on.

      Delete
  2. That’s fantastic news about Lucas! I’m so sorry about the library job not coming through. I know how disappointing that can be, but so glad they are keeping your resume on file because you sound like a great candidate for the position! It sounds like your church is thriving and that is great news. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mandy! Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stacy. It's good to hear from you. I missed you while you were out of blogland. So sorry to hear about the library job, but I am sure that God has something even better in mind. He is in control. Good news about Lucas. I sure hope that good progress continues. Glad to hear that you are reading a lot. Me too. That is my main go-to relaxation at the end of the day and I love it! Good to hear that your church is growing and helping others come to Jesus. I hope your week goes well. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Stacy, I'm so happy to hear that Lucas is improving; it shouldn't hurt to be a child. Praying that Megan's doctors soon discover the reason for her health challenges. Waiting on answers is so stressful!
    Finally, I'm glad to hear not only that you've found a wonderful church family, but Colt and Leah will come to embrace their time there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandchildren are so cute, and you are so cute when you write about them. You're younger than I am, so this is weird, but you remind me so much of my mom. There is NOTHING she enjoyed more than her grandchildren. "They make life grand. That's why they're grandchildren," she'd say, and then laugh at her own joke.

    Oh, Lucas! My favorite ballplayer is a childhood cancer survivor and his charitable work has really enlightened me about how a pediatric cancer battle impacts the whole family. Keep smiling, Lucas!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...