Friday, September 16, 2022

Saturday 9: In and Out of Love

Saturday 9: In and Out of Love (1967)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Diana Ross is disappointed that she hasn't yet found lasting love. Do you think you can fall out of love? Or do you believe that if you fell out of love, it wasn't true love to begin with?  Yes, I think you can fall out of love. Real love is a decision to choose to make another your person and to want the best for them always and to do your best to ensure that is what they get. It is about respect and kindness and putting the other person first. The romance and passion is nice, but you can have that without love, but if you do love right, you will have it, anyway. Neglect or poor treatment of one person by the other can definitely make a person fall out of love. Love isn't all sunshine and rainbows. It takes dedication and hard work, but it's worth it.

2) When is the last time you literally fell, tripped, or stumbled?  Probably today or at least yesterday. I am a klutz and trip, stumble and even fall all the time.
 
3) This record was a hit with American Bandstand viewers. For weeks it was voted the song they most wanted to dance to. Did you watch American Bandstand?  Every single Saturday!
 
4) This is one of the last Supremes songs that featured the most successful hit-making line-up: Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, and Florence Ballard. Florence's great-nephew, Christian Ballard, was a football star at University of Iowa and briefly played pro ball for the Vikings. The 2022-23 NFL season just kicked off. What team do you root for?  I don't really follow too much these days, but in my heart of hearts I will always love the Pittsburgh Steelers. 
 
5) Mary had a connection to sports, too. She donated her time and talent to raising money for Figure Skaters of Harlem, an organization that helps young people train for the Winter Olympics. Tell us about a charity you support.  We give to several: Tunnels to Towers, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, St. Jude's, and I personally like to support Heifer International.

6) There's a children's playground in New York's Central Park named for the last surviving member of this trio, Diana Ross. It has swings, slides, a rope bridge, and a fountain that kids are welcome to splash in. If you were suddenly little again, which would you play on first?  Probably the fountain. I like all of those things when I was little, but my favorite was splashing in the creek at my grandparents' home.
 
7) Diana owns an estate in Greenwich, CT, with lush gardens, a tennis court, and a pool. While the grounds are spectacular, she maintains the house itself is "nothing special" because the kitchen hasn't been renovated in more than three decades. Could your kitchen benefit from a makeover? Or are you fine with it as it is?  Make it over. Pleeeeease?
 
8) In 1967, when this song was popular, the best-selling camera was The Polaroid Swinger. When did you most recently take a photo? What was it of?  I think it was yesterday and it was a picture of one of the huge "volunteer" marigolds that have sprung up along the sidewalk and driveway in the last couple of weeks. Hand on while I check. Yep, it was. Isn't it pretty?



 
9) Random question: Come clean! Are there dirty dishes in your sink right now?  Nope. Normally there are in the evening (I'm answering on Friday evening) because by the time Tim gets home and we eat it's so late I don't want to do dishes then, but tonight I actually washed everything up.


Thanks to Sam for the music and questions!

Join in the Saturday 9 fun here.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. I love that beautiful, volunteer marigold. I like to have my dishes out of the sink and at least in the dishwasher. I also support St. Jude's through my Amazon purchases. St. Jude helped save my grandson's life when he was battling brain cancer six years ago. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I began listening to Yankee games, I never heard of Tunnels to Towers. I thought they were a New York thing. How did you learn about it? Marigolds were my grandpa's favorite and whenever I see them, I think of him. So thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flower!! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #8 Today's project up at the cottage is to replace the window box brackets they're wooden and wood had rotted out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of Tunnels to Towers--thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love volunteer flowers. Loveliness w/o a price tag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stacy, I would play in that creek too, but I was a city girl. Pretty picture of the marigold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That marigold is really pretty!! I enjoyed your answers, Stacy. Always fun! Have a blessed Sunday and week ahead! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That flower is really pretty. I always enjoy your answers, Stacy. Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love volunteer flowering plants, even most trees and bushes! There was a little river on the 4 acre farm I grew up on. We played in it ALL the time. Thanks for the memories! Your treatise and tribute to Love was a fine piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...