Friday, October 7, 2022

October Blog Challenge: Days 6 & 7

Oops! I just realized that I forgot to post for the blog challenge yesterday, so today is a two-fer day.

October 6 prompt: Have you hosted a theme party?

Only if you count children's birthday parties. When my children were growing up we had, among others, dinosaur, Snow White, John Deere, Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Lion King parties.


October 7 prompt: What does social media bring to your life?

I will be one of the first to admit there are a LOT of pitfalls to social media if you aren't aware and on guard against them. However, if you can find the balance of not allowing social media to overtake your life, there are a lot of good things, too.

The first is connection. In an increasingly busy and isolated society, social media allows me to keep in touch with distant family members that I'd otherwise not have much contact with and form friendships with people I wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to meet. I connect with school friends that I wouldn't see except for reunions every 5 years. (The flip side of that is that the online connection of classmates seems to have killed class reunions. Very few are interested.) And of course, there is instant access to family photos and news. 

Information is another benefit. It's very easy to find out about social events, alerts for my area, announcements, and breaking news. I just have to be careful because as we've all learned over the years...not everything on the internet is true. Of course, not everything on the network news is true, either! I can find out how to do just about anything, too.

Kindness, compassion, etc. are another important thing social media brings to my life. When bad or sad things have happened in my life and I've shared them, I've been overwhelmed by the kind words, prayers, and such that have flowed my way.

I can honestly say social media has added a lot to my life. It's been mostly good, but there have been some rough spots. I just had to learn to manage it like everyone has to.

4 comments:

  1. So very true, your words about social media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those birthday parties! They were fun, weren't they? The paper plates, and plastic tablecloths, all in the chosen themes? Disney princess and Spongebob come to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've hosted and attended a lot of theme parties over the years.

    And I agree with you about social media--if taken with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I threw a surprise 50th birthday party for Joe with a 50's theme and asked for funny gifts of things that were 50 years old. One thing he got was a can of Spam - it was their 50th year!! Your thoughts on social media are spot on!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...