Friday, November 11, 2022

Saturday 9: Walkin' After Midnight

Woohoo! I made it through the week. Between foot pain and getting a cold, I had my doubts, but here we are and I'm kicking off the weekend with the Saturday 9. Thanks Sam for the music and questions!


Saturday 9: Walkin' After Midnight (1957)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) The lyrics tell us Patsy Cline was out walking after midnight. Where were you at midnight last night?  In bed and sound asleep thanks to the miracle of NyQuil.
 
2) She's sure she hears the night winds whispering to her. Is it windy, breezy, or still outdoors right now?  It's pouring down rain...the remains of Nicole.

3) When she was 13, Patsy came down with a fever and throat infection so severe she ended up in the hospital. She believed the illness changed her vocal chords and enabled her to sing in a lower key. How are you doing this cold and flu season?  Apparently, not that great, since I currently have a cold.

4) Patsy is well remembered today not only for her voice but for her generous spirit. Loretta Lynn, Dottie West and Barbara Mandrell all considered Patsy a trusted personal friend and professional mentor. Have you ever been a mentor?  I've helped younger women, but no, never really as a mentor.
 
5) Patsy had a tough side, too. While traveling by bus and playing one-nighters, she found she and her band sometimes never got paid for their efforts. So she began demanding payment -- in cash -- before they would take the stage. She'd insist, "No dough, no show." Tell us about your tough side.  I don't really have one until I'm pushed to my limits.
 
6) Patsy became the first female country star to headline at a Las Vegas showroom. Who is your favorite country performer?  After all these years, I'm sure you all know it's Toby Keith, but I really haven't been listening to country much these days.
 
7) In 1957, the year this song hit #2 on the charts, embroidered cotton handkerchiefs were a popular present for the ladies on your gift list. Do you own any handkerchiefs?  I inherited a big box of my grandmother's. I gave one to our daughter and one to our daughter-in-law to carry on their wedding days.
 
8) 1957 was a banner year for Elvis. He released four hit records, two top box-office films, and his TV appearances topped the ratings. 65 years later, he is still recognized the world over by his first name alone. Can you think of another performer for whom one name is all that's required?  Cher, Lucy, Adele, Sting, Bono...

9) Random question: What's the most embarrassing story your parents (or siblings) tell about you?  I can't think of any that I get embarrassed about. People do dumb things as kids.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you're feeling better, and that Jasper earns his keep by providing you much needed comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are fighting a cold and hope it leaves you soon! It is nice a sunny here because you have Nicole now. Hopefully she is not as angry as she was here!! Happy weekend! Rest and feel better, Stacy. Love & hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rainy, dreary day and sick with a cold is a good reason to hunker down and nap and read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 We had the remnants of Nicole overnight, the wind and rain woke me up.
    #5 Yep, same here. Like at the car dealer’s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole left her mark here in Florida and I am sorry you all are suffering through it. I hope you feel better. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better Stacy!!
    I prefer the old country to the new stuff. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes Lucy! I have watched her over and over since the 60's.
    I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are feeling better by now. Sorry you've had a cold. They are no fun. Sorry about the weather too. That Nicole was really covering a lot of territory! I don't listen to much country music. Some of the old timers I remember better than anything recent. Hope you had a good day at work today. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...