Friday, March 24, 2023

Saturday 9: Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head

Saturday 9: Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, BJ Thomas sings that he knows it won't be long until he finds happiness. What are you looking forward to today? What's going to make you smile?  I really can't think of anything on Saturday. As far as I know right now (Friday evening), there isn't anything going on. It's supposed to be a rainy day again and I just plan to stay home and do laundry, clean, and maybe find time to enjoy reading. Something made me smile today, though. My boss made a big point of telling me how much he appreciates me being part of his team and complimented me on what I bring to the table. If you've been around a while and have heard the tales of the awful boss I had a few years back, then you know how much this made me smile.

2) BJ Thomas met his wife Gloria at a bar. She was there with his drummer, but BJ let his friend know he felt a connection to Gloria and was going to drive her home. BJ and Gloria were married for 50 years, until his death. Have you and a friend ever found yourselves attracted to the same person? If yes, how did you handle it?  I've never been in that position.
 
3) This song is from Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, which has been called "the most entertaining Western ever made." Do you enjoy Westerns?  They aren't something I seek out, but I do enjoy them when I watch them...except for some of the newer ones that are so terribly violent.

4) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of the most popular movies Paul Newman made, but he liked to say his "favorite role is philanthropist." He raised an amazing $500 million for children's charities through his Newman's Own brand. The most popular Newman's Own product is salad dressing. What flavor of salad dressing would we find in your kitchen right now?  Ranch, Italian, French, Sweet & Sour, and a vinegarette.
 
5) Burt Bacharach won the first of his three Oscars for this song. Yet 20th Century Fox originally wanted to cut the song from the movie, maintaining that that song and the famous "bicycle sequence" between Paul Newman and Katharine Ross were anachronistic and made the movie too long. Burt and the movie's director George Roy Hill fought for it, insisting that it helped define the optimistic character of Butch. Tell us about a time you were glad you stood your ground.  Probably when my boss at the nursing home I used to work at told me that I had to stop walking with residents because if they fell I was forbidden to try to catch them or break their fall (liability reasons) and I would be reported if I was caught doing so. Residents had the "right" to fall if they chose to walk without the proper supervision (remember I worked in the memory care unit so their decision making was questionable at best). I did stop letting them hold on to me when walking, but didn't stop walking near them and if I was near anyone when they fell, I continued to try to catch them. I couldn't ignore that with any kind of conscience and the aides and nurses supported that by covering for me. Sometimes we go too far with "rights" into the zone of stupidity.

6) Edith Head also won an Oscar for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. She said that Robert Redford, who played Sundance, presented a wardrobe problem. His jawline is too strong so she had to create special wider-brimmed hats to balance it. If you could magically change one of your physical features, which would you choose? And which feature would you never change?  I wouldn't change anything. I may not really love some features, but I figure God knew what He was doing.

7) In 1969, when this song was a hit, The Beatles played their last concert on the roof of Abbey Road Studios. When did you last climb onto the roof?  The last time I remember being on a roof was in 1985 when we went on the roof of the luxury condominiums Tim had built in Orlando to watch the July 4th fireworks.

8) Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries sold at a brisk pace at Christmastime 1969. They're still popular today. Were you a fan?  I read both, but I liked the Hardy Boys more than Nancy Drew. When it came to girl detectives I was a Trixie Beldon fan.

9) Random question: Do you consider yourself old fashioned?  In a lot of ways, yes.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy, I was a Trixie Belden fan and still have the books. I just might have to read one. Nor my daughter or grand daughters were interested in it. Kids grow up to quickly now days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have my Trixie's too! I wish I had the whole set, but there's no one to pass them on to. I had hoped to give them to our oldest granddaughter, but since we don't see her that won't happen. She is already getting too old to like them.

      Delete
  2. Hi Stacy. I read Nancy Drew. I don't even think I had any Trixie Belden books. I am old fashioned and the more the world and society changes, the more old fashioned (and conservative) I am. My views on many things have changed over the past few years. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought of Trixie Beldon in years. I need to find one of those. Reading time is time well spent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have my collection thanks to my mother, who never parts with anything. She returned them to me a few years ago.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you have a boss that appreciates you and isn't shy about sharing it.
    #6 -- OK, I call shenanigans. I've "walked in your shoes" (or read your blog) for a while now and you spend an awful lot of time straightening, aka changing, the curly hair the Lord gave you. Look at how pretty and smooth as glass it is in your profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Okay, yeah....the hair. I was thinking of more permanent changes of the nip and tuck variety.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've ever climbed out on a roof. I read Trixie Beldon books too. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Trixie Beldon too and read most of them before I started on Nancy Drew. Another fun Saturday 9. I am so happy for you with your new job, Stacy! The boss you had at that memory care unit was horrid. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a boss who appreciates you is priceless

    ReplyDelete
  8. #5..that place sounds like they have no clue what they are doing or even care about their patients. I am glad you like your new job and that they appreciate you so much. That means everything! yay!! So glad your boss made you smile. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read some Trixie Beldon books but was more of a Nancy Drew girl. It may have been more of an accessibility issue, though. I could not in good conscience let someone fall, either. What a horrid thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you don't have to work at that place anymore. I can understand about not helping the patients though. It's a risk that the directors don't want to deal with.
    My daughter was on track to be an RN, but because the nurse in the nursing home took unofficial smoke breaks constantly, one of the dementia patients decided to get out of bed and then fell. My daughter got fired and her career ended because she was too small and inexperienced to keep a rather large man in his bed by herself, and it resulted in a fall. She couldn't call on the nurse for assistance. The nurse took regular unscheduled smoke breaks and expected her trainee to deal with everything.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...