Friday, March 3, 2023

Saturday 9: Wagon Wheel

I love, love, LOVE this week's song, so I'm hoping the power and Wi-fi hang in there long enough for me to post. We are experiencing some wickedly crazy wind this evening. 

How crazy, you ask? Well, as of now we don't have any major damage that I'm aware of. Our daughter's family, who live right next to us, lost the kids' trampoline when the wind lifted it, breaking in half the concrete blocks holding it down. It blew the trampoline up against the side of her in-laws' truck that they're borrowing, leaving several good-sized dents and scratches as it hit and then rolled up and over it to land in our neighbor's garden. An hour or so after that the wind lifted an older metal shed on their property and destroyed it before landing it near the trampoline. The destruction of the shed also scattered the kids' bikes and outside toys all over the neighborhood. 

Also, Colton and Leah were at their other grandparents' after school because our daughter and son-in-law had to be away all day today, not getting home until just a bit ago. We ended up having to go get them because their other grandparents live in the woods with trees blowing down all over the place and their power went out and stayed out (while ours is only blinking on and off every now and then).

So, yeah, it's that crazy out there tonight.

Anyway, on with the Saturday 9 before everything decides to go off and stay off.

Saturday 9: Wagon Wheel (2013)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week, Darius Rucker sings about hitching a ride to reach his lady love. Have you ever thumbed a ride?  No. I had the dangers of doing so preached to me from a very young age.
 
2) Along the way, he loses his money in a poker game. Successful poker players are good at bluffing, or misleading others about about their cards. Are you good at bluffing, whether at cards or in life?  I know I am at cards and I think I am in life. I learned early on not to let anyone see it when I was hurting. Most of the time when people think I am so calm...I am on the surface, but I'm freaking out on the inside.
 
3) Darius began his career as the lead singer of 90s soft-rock band Hootie and the Blowfish. Today he's a country singer. Let's say you're stuck in traffic and only one radio station comes in clearly. Would you prefer it play soft rock or country?  I like both, but if I have to choose one radio station I want it to be the one playing classics from the 70s and 80s.
 
4) Darius Rucker will be on tour throughout 2023, playing dates all over the country and making a couple stops in Cancun. Have you ever visited Mexico? If so, where did you go?  I've never been to Mexico.

5) Darius has lent his talents to fundraising for The First Tee, a non-profit that teaches children "life lessons, self-confidence, and resilience through golf." Did you participate in organized sports as a youngster? If yes, what did you play? Not as a little kid, but through school I did. I played field hockey, softball, and basketball.

6) A big sports fan, he has six TVs in his home so he can watch several games at once. His largest set is 70". When it comes to TV screens, do you believe bigger is better? Or are you just as comfortable watching from your laptop or phone?
  I don't particularly like watching TV or movies on my phone or even my laptop. Our biggest TV is 60" (the hubby is just waiting for it to die so he can get a bigger one) and the smallest is 40".
 
7) In 2013, when "Wagon Wheel" was popular, fans were flocking to the movie theater to see Catching Fire, the second in the Hunger Games series. Are you a Hunger Games fan?  Nope. I've never read the books or watched the movies.

8) Also in 2013, the word "selfie" was added to the Oxford Dictionary. Do you take a lot of selfies?  I rarely take selfies and I am horribly bad at the angles and such when I do.
  
9) Random question: If we paid you $5,000, would you get Saturday 9 tattooed on your right forearm?  I would consider a tattoo (I already have one on my leg), but not one that says Saturday 9. 

** Storm update. I had to stop in the middle of answering questions because the above mentioned shed blew into our front yard and was heading towards Tim's truck. We were all out there holding it so he could strap it to a tree until it can be cut up tomorrow. Like I said, it's crazy out there!

** Update of the update. The strap didn't hold the shed. It hit Tim's truck. I am not looking forward to tomorrow morning and assessing all the damage this wind has left behind.

8 comments:

  1. #8 -- You said what I wanted to say, but you said it so much better.
    PS I hope the truck is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some wild wind. I hope the damage is not too horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word! That is some awful winds! That is how my windshield got broke about a month ago...it was heavy snow and winds. I hope the damage is minimal.
    #3...we would have a great road trip listening to music. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 Yeah, I can relate to that… show no pain, stiff upper lip and all that.
    #3 I go along with that… classic from the 60s and 70s.
    #8 When I take a selfie I either have no head or just the top of my head shows

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a lot of wind here, too, but I don't think it was that bad. I hope it didn't do too much damage to the truck. We are having some weird weather this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wind here in SE Georgia was off the charts too! Yowza. Lost a lot of limbs in that one. It's much calmer and cooler today. Very nice.
    I've only hitched a ride once: from a cop. *giggle* Does that count? My motorbike had a flat and had to get help. He was a nice fella and even that was beyond his expertise.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever the weather back east (midwestern) weather goes nuts, I think of you all and your families, hoping you are ok. This red alert stuff was something that happened early on because of my grandparent's farm being in tornedo alley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh!! Bless your heart!! Y'all got hit HARD!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...