Wednesday, April 19, 2023

A Simple Woman's Daybook

Today

It is Tuesday. Afternoon is turning into evening. The sun is shining. The grands are racing their Power Wheels up and down the back alley...and being that it's Tuesday, I am inside, sitting in the recliner with my feet elevated. Tuesdays on the shredding floor are wicked hard on my feet and the troublesome ankle that has evolved from the worst foot. The pain makes me walk oddly, I suppose, and that strains the ankle.

I don't mind so much today. It's cold out. Winter's giving us one last little tease. We did not get the snow flurries and showers other areas reported. However,  frost is coming overnight, but sunshine will win out and the temperature will warm up to 65 degrees tomorrow, 82 degrees on Thursday, and 75 degrees on Friday. Not bad for Pennsylvania in April. I just hope the frost does not destroy the blossoms on the fruit trees or there will be no fruit this year.

Speaking of trees, we have yet to hear from the tree service we hired to take down the big Poplar that overshadows the pool. They are cheap and good, but we are coming to learn...notoriously hard to get in touch with and then get them to the job. We keep calling. The weather is getting nice and the pool company will be coming one of these days to put the new liner in the pool. It would be best if the tree came down first.

I'd also like to see the tree gone because just recently Tim has had to fish two squirrels out of the pool. It's never happened before and all we can figure out is that either they fell in when jumping from the tree to the shed or house...or someone in the neighborhood has put D-con out and the poor things have gotten into it and then are searching for water. 


Projects

Well, none of them are happening just yet, but...

Tim brings home leftover lumber or other building materials from work nearly every evening and unloads it. We have several substantial stacks of wood out in the yard at the moment. Some of it goes toward finishing the pool deck. Some goes for the new front porch. Some goes toward the roofed patio Tim plans to put at the end of the house. Some goes toward a potting bench for me.

I found a bathroom vanity I liked on Home Depot's website last week. It was drastically reduced because there was only one color left of the original 5 that it came in. The one color happened to be the one I've been looking for so I snapped it up. I had it shipped directly to the house. It arrives tomorrow. Unless we have a new delivery person, it will most likely be sitting in the middle of the driveway or on the sidewalk when I get home. The last time he brought something large he dropped it right in the opening for the step onto the deck. We couldn't get in or out till we moved it. 


Work

It took me until 9:00 last night to set up the new printer and then get a new resume written and printed out. I turned the resume in this morning. I am still hoping to get the Program Supervisor job at work. I guess. The woman who is leaving the job (health reasons) has really been pushing me and the powers that be at work. She wants me to get it. I am not overly hopeful. I do not have the educational requirements they want. 

There is one other person from work who has applied. She has a degree, though not in social work. She has, however, raised a special needs child so she has me beat when it comes to experience. I've heard the big boss would rather not hire in-house because that would leave us down one direct care worker when we are already short staffed and there have been no applications for those jobs. Rumor has it that he is trying now to convince the receptionist/personnel trainer to take the job. We will see. They have to make some decision soon. The woman's last day is next Friday and the new person will have to be trained.

I am good whatever happens. If I don't get it, I will still have my current position that I love and that's good enough for me.

Oh, and I am in the process of getting everything in order to be able to do some companion work. At the moment I am doing it specifically to be able to take one of the consumers to the special needs prom on the 29th of the month, but you never know. It's possible that I may take on more clients from time to time.


In the kitchen

As has become the habit on Tuesdays to give me a break, we'll be having take-out. Sometimes we call for delivery or Tim will pick up and order I call in. Sometimes, like tonight, we settle for fast food. We were in an Arby's mood tonight. I will have a beef and cheddar sandwich and he will probably have a Reuben. It's a nice respite from the last of the ham leftovers/remakes. I think there is one (maybe two) bowls of ham and beans left and then it's all officially gone.


Wednesday

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish my post yesterday. I am, however, up way before the alarm this morning so here we are. I have done everything I needed to do to be ready for work and even got online and printed out our new insurance cards.


Outside my window

It's still dark. Sunrise is about an hour away. Still, the birds are creating quite a ruckus with their singing. They are excited about a new day and the beautiful weather and warmer temperatures to come, I guess.



Shoes

In the never ending quest for comfortable shoes, I am trying a new pair today. Slip-ons from Orthofeet. They are really rather stylish and look a lot like Hey Dudes. I tried Hey Dudes a couple of months ago because my daughter (and everyone else who is on their feet all day) swore they were the most comfortable shoe ever. They were comfy, but not if you are on your feet and already have bad feet. Wearing them is what I think caused the tendonitis I now have in my ankle.

Anyway, the Orthofeet shoes seem to have a much better insole and good arch support (more like my Vionics but at a lower price) so I am hopeful. I will let you know how they work out.


Time to be on my way

I have to go make sure our son-in-law is awake to get the kiddos off to school this morning because our daughter is working today. Then it's off to work. It's going to be a good day. I hope your day is a blessed and happy one!



3 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. I hope you have a good day and that the shoes work well for you. I am always looking for comfortable shoes as well, so I may have to look into that brand if they work well for you. Sounds like you have a lot of home and yard improvement projects in the works. We also have winter return here for a few days and the temps this morning are only in the 30s. Hopefully, spring will be back by this weekend. I started a Daybook post last night,then completely ran out of steam. Hopefully, I can update and finish it tonight. I hope you have a good day. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy, I found the most comfortable shoes by Sketchers. They also had wide and are very cushiony and made for walking. I hiked 9 miles in them last September and my feet never hurt. I think they are called Go Walk. I found mine at Kohls on sale. I hope you get your projects done. We have a few around are place that need to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post, Stacy, and am going to check out the shoes you mentioned. I really need to start walking again to help get this weight off. Kinda stuck at 12 pounds. I am such a slug. Have a blessed Thursday!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...