Friday, April 28, 2023

Saturday 9: Promises, Promises

Saturday 9: Promises, Promises (1983)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this week's song, Naked Eyes lead singer Pete Byrne admits he believed his girl's promises, right from the start, but now he knows he should have been more careful with his heart. Do you consider yourself more trusting or skeptical?  If you've never given me a reason to doubt you I will always give you the benefit of the doubt, but betray me and regaining my trust will be a hard road.
 
2) He looks back on when he and his girl laughed like kids. When did you recently literally laugh out loud (opposed to keystroking LOL)?  Today (Friday) at work. We have a LOT of fun where I work. I laugh every day.
 
3) He accuses her of not being able to finish what she starts. How about you? Do you finish what you start, or can you think of projects that you're unlikely to ever complete?  I have a whole closet full of unfinished crafts and projects. Sigh.

 
4) Naked Eyes was a British New Wave band who had four Top 40 singles, including "Promises, Promises." They never toured 40 years ago because it was difficult to recreate their synthesizer-driven sound onstage. Is there a band or singer you would have liked to have seen perform live, but never did?  John Denver. His music has always spoken to my childhood experience. When I hear his songs it instantly takes me back to the 70's and the years my family lived in a wildlife preserve.
 
5) While "Promises, Promises" is about an untrustworthy lover, Peter Byrne says he and bandmate/cowriter Rob Fisher worked well together because they knew they could trust one another professionally. By sharing honest assessments of creative ideas, they knew Naked Eyes would never put out "rubbish." If you want an honest opinion on something important, where do you turn?  Probably my daughter. She tends to be bluntly honest so there's no chance of her glossing over something. 

6) Madonna was a Naked Eyes fan. Are you a Madonna fan?  I was a fan when her first album came out, but not so much with each successive album and not at all now.

7) In 1983, when this song was on the radio, the Lotus 1-2-3 program made it easier for PC users to build spreadsheets. Are you answering these questions on a PC or a Mac? Laptop or desktop? Android or iPhone?  Laptop
 
8) Also in 1983, America West Airlines took off for the first time, taking passengers from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Where did you go on your first flight? What about your most recent flight?  My first flight was a sightseeing trip in a small single engine plane with a friend of my parents who was a pilot. My most "recent" flight was in 2002 when I flew to New Mexico on a missions trip.

9) Random question -- Finish this statement: If I knew then what I know now, I would have ______________.  Gone back to college and completed my degree. I was trying for a different position with my current employer and was told today that I'm no longer being considered because my college transcripts were 5 credit hours short. I'm not heartbroken or anything as I wasn't even sure I really wanted the job, but....yeah, I wish I had my degree.

Thanks to Crazy Sam for the music and questions.
Play along here.

12 comments:

  1. It's not too late to finish your college degree. Just sayin'....

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4: What a lovely tribute to John Denver! He clearly made an impression on you that lasts, and I think that's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you just 5 hours short of a degree? If that is all you need to complete, I bet you could do it online in no time, and much cheaper. Just saying... I never finished college either, but never really had any particular goal to do so. I did take a lot of courses, some in order to qualify for a specific job, but still not enough for a degree. That's okay, I'm retired now and have no intentions of going back to work, esp. at a job that requires a degree. But you are still young...just saying. I liked John Denver music too..."Country Road, take me home, to the place I belong..." it wasn't West Virginia, but still the idea is the same. I hope you have a blessed and wonderful weekend. Always good to hear what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me thinks (on the last question) perhaps, the good Lord didn't want you to have that particular position. Just saying, grin. ANWYAYS--wishing you a beautiful day friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. #2 ~ For me and the Hubby we laugh out loud at the old British comedies from the 70s on BritBox: As Time Goes By, The Good Neighbors, and others. I'm glad we turn on Closed Caption 'cause I'm usually guffawing so much I'd miss the other one liners they say.
    Fun post. I enjoyed it.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could probably finish those 5 credits online. Think about it. My degree has helped me a lot over the years.
    #1! That is me too. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved John Denver. I played the “Evening with John Denver” album so many times I wore it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #3 Ditto, I have a mess of unfinished projects.
    #8 One of the kids in the had a pilot’s license and I flew with him couple of times and I decided that he wasn’t a good pilot.
    #9 I went back to college and when I graduated I was 63.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have liked to have seen John Denver, too. I think passing you over for a job over 5 credits doesn't say much for your employer, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacy, it's never too late to finish your degree. I got mine when I was 50. Do it!! I enjoyed my visit here today! Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh--John Denver is a great choice. I heard one of his songs on the radio (Sirius) and it really took me back. He had such a pure voice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy do we ever share a problem child.. unfinished crafting projects. And we both have our regrets over not finishing our degrees. Lori is right. You can now finish a lot of degrees on line and it would be so worth it! Good wishes to you...

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...