Friday, May 5, 2023

Saturday 9: Come On-A My House

Saturday 9: Come On-A My House (1951)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this week's song, Rosemary Clooney offers us candy, peaches, pears, grapes, cake, etc. What tasty treat are you craving this morning?  I will be on my way to a used book sale by 8:00 tomorrow morning so I'm doing this Friday evening. I can tell you, though, that I will have enjoyed one of my favorite asiago cheese bagels for breakfast. I stopped at Giant Eagle this week and picked up a few because I was craving them. I enjoy one toasted to perfection, spread with butter, and sprinkled with pizza seasoning.
 
2) The song was co-written by a pair of cousins more famous for their other jobs. William Saroyan was a Pulitzer Prize winning author and Ross Bagdasarian created Alvin and the Chipmunks. Tell us about one of your cousins.  I have mentioned my cousin, Luke Laird, before. Our grandfathers were brothers, but while I know his mother I never really had the chance to know him (or my other cousins from that branch of the family) as we moved away. He is a very well known song writer in Nashville. Click the link and you will be surprised how many of his songs you've probably heard or at least heard of.

3) The song was inspired by the cousins' recollection of their Armenian relatives encouraging friends and family to visit by promising lots of food. Who most recently invited you to their home? What was the occasion?  It was our daughter. No occasion. She just invited us for dinner.
 
4) This was a big hit for Rosemary Clooney. She got her start singing live on Cincinnati's WLW radio station. Today WLW is an all-news station. When you were a kid, what radio station did you tune into for the hits and new music?  A station known as 96 KX (pronounced kicks). I can't remember if it was 96.1 or 96.4 and a search online didn't help. The station has changed hands and formats several times and I can't remember the full call letters. It played the top 40 pop and rock songs of the day as well as carrying Casey Kasem every weekend.

5) Rosemary was also an actress, appearing in motion pictures and made-for-TV movies. The most famous is 1954's White Christmas. Have you seen it?  Many times. It is a favorite of mine.

5) Yes, Rosemary Clooney is related George Clooney. She was his aunt. She appeared with him on ER and received an Emmy Award nomination. Do you enjoy doctor shows?  Not particularly. 

7) In 1951, when this song was #1, Yankees superstar Joe DiMaggio retired from baseball. He remained in the public eye, endorsing products and acting as Major League Baseball's ambassador around the world. His second marriage, a few years after his retirement, was almost as legendary as his baseball career. Without looking it up, do you know who his bride was?  Marilyn Monroe, I think.
 
8) Also in 1951, I Love Lucy premiered and has never been off the air since. That's right: for 72 years, without interruption, viewers have been entertained by the Ricardos and Mertzes. When you think of I Love Lucy, what's the first thing that comes to mind?  Lucy and Ethel's misadventures.

9) Random question -- You're playing roulette and suddenly doubled your winnings. Do you walk away when you're ahead, or do you stay at the table to play your winning streak?  I walk away while ahead.

Thanks to Crazy Sam for the music and questions!
Play along here.

9 comments:

  1. #2: Have you ever been riding along in the car when one of your cousin's songs just happened to come on? I bet that would be so cool
    #4: It seems we've each got that special station we remember as kids.
    #8: Who doesn't love Lucy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 ~ The bagels sound so good! And I'm always up for more books. Kinda runnin' outta room in the house in that department.
    #9 ~ I've never been a gambler. Too tight fisted with the money to throw it away. Might as well burn the money on the front lawn rather than take a risk 'cause the House always wins one way or another. Must be the Scottish side of me that kicks in when it's financial. *lol*
    Fun post. Love to you all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 I have to travel to all my relatives, I’m the only one who stayed where we grew up. Now all my cousins are scattered to the four winds, from North Carolina to Maine.
    #4 I used to listen to him when I was doing my homework.
    #9 I don’t think that I was ever a head. I looked at it more as entertainment and anything that I won would be icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh--those bagels sound delish! Good luck with your book adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Rosemay Clooney. Did she also sing "If I knew you were comin' I'd have baked a cake"? I think so. She must have been quite the cook. LOL. For some reason I thought she was George Clooney's mother. I guess I was wrong. LOL. I love I Love Lucy and grew up watching her and Ethel's misadventures all the time. I was a redhead, so I identified with her and I named my little baby doll "Little Ricky". I also liked a boy in elementary school named Ricky. LOL. I hope you had a great day today. I try to avoid book sales these days. I have too many books already and try to usually only read library books so I don't accumulate them. But sometimes I digress if I see a good bargain. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to walking away while ahead. That used book sale sounds oh-so-fun! I hope you find some good reading treasures! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a famous cousin to have. I don't know any of those songs, but that's an impressive list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I am impressed by your cousin. My husband's cousin was Earl Thomas Conley, he was a country singer. smiles. Hope you're having a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. now I have a craving for bagels!

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 9: Rocket Man

Hello! I decided to check in with you all again this week. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it   here .   1) In this song, Elton J...