Friday, May 26, 2023

Saturday 9: Some Gave All

Saturday 9: Some Gave All (1992)

*My favorite Billy Ray Cyrus song and a touching tribute to our fallen heroes.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.

1) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.
  Many of them have from my long ago ancestors during the Revolutionary War to the current generation. They have worn the uniforms of the Army, Navy, Marines, National Guard, and Sea Bees. I know of only one who "gave all," my 3x great grandfather died on the battlefield at Shiloh...something I learned only after meeting my biologic father. Seeing his photo was rather shocking. My son is a dead ringer for him.

2) Memorial Day has its own flag etiquette. In the morning, the American flag should be flown at half staff in memory of those we have lost. Then, at noon, it should be raised briskly to full staff, in honor of all who have served. Where is the nearest flag flying from where you sit right now?  In our front yard. We are patriotic around here.

3) Since 1988, motorcycle riders have participated in Rolling Thunder. In events all over the country, including Washington DC, bikers "Roll Together" to draw attention to service members still missing and raise awareness of mental health issues our veterans cope with each day. When have you most recently ridden a motorcycle? A scooter? A bicycle?  Other than my exercise bike it has been years.

4) This week's song is the title track of Billy Ray Cyrus' best-selling album. Named for this patriotic song, the album also included Billy Ray's signature song, "Achy Breaky Heart." "Achy Breaky Heart" is a popular choice on karaoke nights. Do you know it well enough to sing along?
  Not that I would, but yes. I was a Billy Ray Cyrus fan back in the day.

5) Sandy Kane, the hero of "Some Gave All," is based on a real Vietnam vet Billy Ray Cyrus met and spoke to about his sacrifice for his country. Can you think of another song based on a real person?  Elton John's Candle in the Wind was about Marilyn Monroe.

6) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet?  Actually, I did that last weekend. I'm pretty impressed with myself.

7) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room?  Yes. I would be okay without it, but Tim thinks it's "roasting" hot in here.

8) Memorial Day is also a holiday for retailers. Ads promise great prices on everything from grills to lawn decorations to high tech gear and gadgets. Will you be shopping any sales this weekend?  Probably not unless it's something for the pool.

9) Random question: When is the last time you felt like a kid?  I'm going to say it was this past Wednesday. Another staff member and I took a few people out in the community to water the flowers in the shopping district (something we are committed to doing all summer as a way of getting our people out in the community and getting the community comfortable with them) and then to a picnic in the park. We had so much fun and laughed like I haven't laughed in a while.

Thanks, Sam, for the music and questions.

Play along here.




11 comments:

  1. I like how you took a few clients out to water flowers in the community! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our answers to #4 are very similar. "Don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart, I just don't think he'd understand ..." I also remember how to do the Macarena, how about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually dance the Macarena several times a week at work. The people I work with like it as a form of exercise.

      Delete
    2. Oh, how awesome we would be on 90s Night at the bar! :)

      Delete
  3. #5 Ah… we picked the same song.
    #9 My mother was a member of the town garden club and used to take turns watering the plants around town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also picked Candle In The Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to fly a flag, but the trees grew up and now you can't see the house from the road at all, so we stopped. It was a lot of trouble to put up and down every day just for us. (I insisted it come down at night since it wasn't lit, and that's appropriate flag etiquette. If you're going to fly it, fly it right, I told husband.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun questions this week! I didn't think to include my Revolutionary War family members, and I also had a few who fought in the Civil War. Stacy, I love that your job brings you and your clients so much joy!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun questions. Wishing you a beautiful weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that Elton John that you picked. And I have a flag but it's too special to me to fly it. Also, it's just too big. My would have been daddy was from a Revolutionary family. But, it was not to be. A county in Ohio is named after his family.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...