Friday, May 19, 2023

Some Music, Some Thanks

As seems to be the case more often than not these days, there just weren't enough hours in the day to get a Thankful Thursday post up yesterday. So, with apologies to Sam at Saturday 9, I'm going to combine the two this week.

There is much to be thankful for this week, but here are just a few things.

** The privilege of living in a country where, yes, there is crime...but I can, for the most part, go about my day...go to work, go shopping, be entertained, worship my God, speak my mind...and not be worried every moment about my safety. The chances of my coming home at the end of the day safe and sound are greater than the chance that I will not.

** The unconditional love and joy I get from the dear ones I work with and the fullness of my heart in the blessing of being able to bring something positive to their lives.

** New challenges that keep my mind from growing stagnant. 

** A lovely Mother's Day dinner with the family.

** Being able to watch a video of Leah's end of year program with her even though I was unable to be there.

** The pool people called and they are installing the new liner on Monday.

And now some fun with the Saturday 9. Thanks, Sam, for the music and questions!

Saturday 9: Mirrors (2013)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Is there a mirror in the room you're in now?  No. I don't have one in the living room.
 
2) In this song, Justin Timberlake tells his lover he just can't wait till they're together. What are you eagerly looking forward to today?  I'm doing this before bed on Friday, but I'll go ahead and say it's going to be taking out a client on Saturday.
 
3) Justin Timberlake is known as a sharp dresser who is always on trend. What item have you recently added to your wardrobe?  Nothing that qualifies as "sharp." I bought a bunch of t-shirts and shorts for the hot summer months at work.

4) Justin was an accomplished child performer who appeared on the entertainment competition show Star Search when he was just 11. When Crazy Sam was 11, her only job was loading and unloading the dishwasher, for which she received an allowance from her dad. Did you have chores when you were a kid?  I had a LOT of chores. Many more than any of my friends...and my dad punished me if they were not done to his strict standards.

 
5) He says he tries never to miss breakfast, even on the road, and his favorite is peanut butter banana pancakes. Given the choice, do you prefer pancakes, french toast, or waffles?  French toast

6) When they were still in their teens, Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears were sweethearts. Obviously it's been easy for him to keep up with her successes and problems over the years. Do you wonder what one of your exes is up to?  No. I know what a couple of them are up to. As for the rest, I really couldn't care less.
 
7) In 2013, when this song was popular, Pope Benedict resigned. Thinking of your working life, have you felt greater stress on your first day at a job, or your last?  Usually the first, but my last day at the nursing home (with the horrid boss) I was worried all day that somehow my boss would find out that I planned to walk away and never return at the end of my shift and confront me about it.

8) Also in 2013, the NHL owners reached an agreement with the players union and avoided a strike. Have you ever belonged to a union?  I was in a union when I worked at the nursing home. It was the only nursing home around that was unionized.

9) Random question: When was one of the first times when you felt like an adult?  I'd have to say it was flying alone with a newborn when we moved back to PA from Florida...even though everyone from the flight attendants to the business men sitting near me took me under their wings and watched out for and took care of us.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. It's so great that you feel so fulfilled at your job. It sounds like you had a good Mother's Day. Amen to your sentiments about living in the good 'ole USA! Much to be grateful for there! Sounds like you have some good stuff planned for the weekend, so I hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #9: I can just imagine you on that plane! Yes, that would be a rite of passage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post. Oh, that trip on the plane with your new baby! I can imagine what a ride that was! I sat next to a young woman with her new baby on a plane ride before, and she actually let me hold her sweet baby while she fastened her seat belt for landing...and she let me hold him until the plane was landed. It was a very special moment for me that I actually wrote about in one of my blog posts. That young woman never knew how much it meant to me, but God knew. Yes, it makes me think about how little we really know about the person sitting next to us on a plane...and where they may be headed or coming back from and the significance of what is happening in their lives at that moment. Anyway, I enjoyed your answers. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I love the background photos on here right now. Looks like Pennsylvania countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #9. How nice everyone took care of you and your baby on your journey. That would have scared me to death.
    Yep, I was used as a servant in the house too. My mom is not a good housekeeper at all. My dad did a lot of the cleaning when I moved out. When my dad died her neighbor and I and later a friend of the family helped her clean her house, but she quickly dirtied it up. The neighbor and I helped her more than once, but that gets old. The neighbor is older than my mom. It is like she expects people to do things for her. It is super weird. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always had a ton of chores that rotated among my sisters and me but the family laundry was my big chore. Once I was old enough to stand on a chair to work the knobs and buttons, I was old enough to do laundry for the family of 6. I shudder to think of it now. Fortunately, I love doing laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had lots of chores too but thankfully not a dad like you had. I'm so sorry you were subjected to that as a child. Have a good weekend, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chores are good for kids, with or without compensation. It teaches them how to take care of themselves and be better rounded people.
    Sorry about the crummy boss. I've had a couple like that too but they never dared confront me. I'm really good at dealing with bullies 'cause they're cowards. And I'm not. *wink*
    Really enjoyed this post.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thankful list and I enjoyed your answers to the Saturday Nine questions too. I would pick French toast too. Hope they are fixing your pool today and that you'll be able to use it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #3 I want bland clothes nothing that makes me stand out.
    #5 Strawberries are on sale so I bought two and this morning I had strawberries and whipped cream on my pancakes.
    #8 Someone I used to know is a nurse who is a scab. She doesn’t understand why nobody likes her.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...