Friday, June 2, 2023

Saturday 9: The Best

Saturday 9: The Best (1991)

In memory of Tina Turner, who died on May 24.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Tina Turner sings that she can think of no better place to be than her lover's arms. Since we're entering summer vacation season, let's switch it to: What's the best place you've ever traveled to?  My happy place, Chincoteague Island, VA. It's a small town on an island and up until recently, it had avoided becoming too touristy. Now, thanks to government regulations that have forced the fishing boats out, people are having to either sell out or join in with the growing tourism industry.

2) Songwriters Holly Knight and Desmond Child originally offered this song to English pop singer Paul Young. He declined it. Can you think of a time when you said "no" when "yes" might have been a better answer?  Not really. I have tended to be more of a said "yes" when "no" might have been a better answer kind of person.

3) Tina Turner was born in Nutbush, TN. In 1973 she recorded a song about it called "Nutbush City Limits." Is there a song about your hometown?  Not that I'm aware of, though.....maybe Fred Rogers was inspired to write "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" by my town. This is his hometown and many of the characters on his show were inspired or named after people here.

4) It was at Nutbush's Spring Hill Baptist Church that very young Tina began singing with the choir. She credited those early performances with giving her confidence in front of a crowd. Are you comfortable with public speaking?  I don't know. Getting up to speak formally in front of a large group has always given me terrible anxiety, but I haven't done it for quite a while and feel like maybe it wouldn't bother me so much now. For the sake of my clients or the kids that rode my bus or the kids I had in youth group I was and still am always willing to act like a ginormous goof in front of God and everyone if that's what it takes to make a connection or bring a point home.

5) When she was a teen, her mom relocated the family to St. Louis. It was here that Tina played on the high school basketball team. Can you make a free throw?  I used to be able to since I played basketball in high school, too, but it's been a long time since I've touched a basketball. I kind of doubt the skill is still there.
 
6) Tina met her second husband, Erwin Bach, at the airport. A record exec, Erwin went to Heathrow to meet her flight and help her prepare for her London appearances. The last time you were at the airport, were you a traveler or were you meeting or dropping someone off?  Meeting someone. I haven't flown since 2002!
 
7) In 1991, the year this record was released, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury died. What's your favorite Queen song?  Crazy Little Thing Called Love


8) Also in 1991, Disney's Beauty and the Beast became the first animated movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. What's your favorite Disney movie?  Tangled


9) Random question: What's your perfect day, weatherwise?  Sunny, 75-80 degrees, low humidity.

Thanks to Crazy Sam for the music and questions!

Did you enjoy this meme? Join the fun here.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. I don't pay much attention when celebrities pass, but I really liked Tina Turner's music. Her music was the soundtrack to my younger life - 1970s - 1990s, and I always quite liked it. I don't have a lot of anxiety about speaking to groups, because I do that every day for a living. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you'd better and more comfortable in front of an audience than you think. Maybe you just have to really believe in what you're saying. I've never seen Tangled ... or Frozen ... or Encanto. I'm so behind in my Disney viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Mr. Rogers was from your hometown. I just love that man. What a beautiful spirit he had. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We think my older daughter looks just like Rapunzel in Tangled. She loves that movie. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even heard of Tangled! I am so out of it with kids' movies, books, and games. My grands are adults. Good Queen song! I enjoyed your answers, Stacy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not surprised we chose the same Queen song, either. Ha. I am way behind on the newer Disney flicks. I think Malevolent was the last one I saw. (That was Disney, wasn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1 The fishing fleet on Cape Cod is way down and so is the lobstering as the water warms up. What is growing is shellfish farming. Where I have my cottage they harvest $15 million in oysters.
    #7 Great song

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...