Friday, June 23, 2023

Saturday 9: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over

Saturday 9: It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over (1991)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Lenny Kravitz sings about all the tears he's cried over this relationship. Scientists theorize that human tears fall into two categories: emotional and irritant. "Emotional tears" are most often shed over physical pain, empathy, compassion, depression, and anger/frustration. Think about the last time you cried. What triggered your tears?  Several years ago I was going through a LOT with both of our children and things with Tim and I weren't great, either. I cried quite a bit during that period. Honestly, I think I cried so much I ran out of tears because I very rarely well up now. I can't remember any time recently.

2) We also cry "irritant tears," which means we well up when a foreign particle gets in our eye. Over-the-counter drops can help. What's the last thing you bought at the drugstore? Was it a medication (OTC or prescription) or something else entirely?  I picked up our granddaughter's antibiotic last weekend for Lyme disease. (For those of you who knew about that...she is doing much better!)

3) TV actresses have played a big part in Lenny Kravitz' life. His mother was Roxie Roker, who played the neighbor Helen on The Jeffersons. His wife (and the inspiration for this song) was Lisa Bonet, who played one of the daughters on The Cosby Show. Their daughter, Zoe Kravitz, appeared in the HBO series Big Little Lies. What TV series do you never tire of, and could watch again and again?  The Big Bang Theory, M*A*S*H, and The Andy Griffith Show.

4) Thinking of Big Little Lies ... Zoe Kravitz co-starred with Nicole Kidman. Shortly after Kidman divorced Tom Cruise, she dated Lenny Kravitz. Have you ever been curious about a partner's past love?  No. I prefer to leave the past in the past.

5) Lenny Kravitz and Today Show weatherman Al Roker are second cousins (their grandfathers were brothers). Do you turn to a TV weatherman for the forecast? Or do you check a website or app?  I use the app for one of the local news stations. Or I just ask Alexa.

6) Also a talented photographer, Lenny's work has been displayed at the Leica Gallery in Wetzlar, Germany. What's the most recent photo you took?  I took one of a co-worker and I. We were making the "shhhhh" motion. I texted it to a client to show the others around him because they were making so much noise we couldn't hear the names they were calling at dismissal time and they weren't listening to requests to be quiet.

7) In 1991, when this song was popular, Murray Bicycles were the top seller among younger set. Popularity is fleeting, though. By 2004, the company filed for bankruptcy and no longer produces bicycles. Was your bike a big part of your summer when you were a kid? 
Oh my, YES! My bikes were my favorite part of summer....and any season when I could ride it. Bikes meant freedom. My friends and I rode all over our neighborhood and town in "herds." It makes me sad that I rarely see kids out riding bikes these days, but glad that our two youngest grands ride all the time.

8) Also in 1991, Gene Roddenberry died. Mr. Roddenberry is best known as the creator of Star Trek. Who's your favorite Star Trek character?  The one and only...




9) Random Question: How do you think your high school classmates remember you?  Skinny, nerdy, smart, kind of quiet/shy, athletic, and a lil' bit goofy. Skinny and athletic are the only ones that don't still apply.


Thanks, Sam, for the music and questions!

Join the fun here.

10 comments:

  1. So nice to see another Spock fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I like Mr. Spock as well. Hope you have a good weekend! See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 During covid, former Cubs manager Joe Maddon did a video for LA high school students (he was with the Angels then) to encourage them to stay safe at home. He explained that because someone in his family was exposed, he was quarantined in his RV in the driveway of his home and was having fun rediscovering things he already had but didn't have time to enjoy anymore, like John Steinbeck novels, Pearl Jam and The Andy Griffith Show. The kids seemed to think this was a very strange combo but I admit it: I think I would have loved being quarantined with Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Spock character was always one of my favorites too.
    I went through a crying period too. I think it was hormonal, more than anything. I'm terrible about internalizing things. That doesn't help. *wink*
    I'm with you, leave the past in the past. None of us are perfect. I really don't want to know. Give it to God and go forward.
    In School, my bike took me everywhere. Sometimes I would travel for miles just to stay away from the house. Now my bike has a motor and I can go further. Not much changes, does it?! *lol*
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cry so regularly that I don't even think about it anymore--part of that is from my dry eyes overcompensating, but I do let the tears flow. Especially when I would drive to or from work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Spock, too, but I loved Star Trek: Voyager because it was female-centric, for once. I forgot about Andy Griffith. I could add that one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never watched Star Trek. Of course I know of Spock but have never seen even one episode. A lot of folks answered Big Bang Theory. I've not seen it either and think I need to look for it. Interesting questions again this week. I have a weather app on my phone but Alexa also lets me know when trouble is coming. Have a blessed weekend, Stacy! Love & hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spock was a very interesting character, do it's not surprising so many chose him. He was probably the best actor on the set as well! :) I chose Warf because I guess I just liked the idea of an entire language made for the Klingon. I have a Klingon dictionary/tutorial so enamored was I by the language.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right, we don't see many kids out riding a bike. I went to a first day ceremony at the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena Ca. This was back in the 90's. There were a lot of people dressed up as Star Trek characters and some Star Wars. I also liked Lost in Space.

    ReplyDelete

Currently

I am... Reading: Arkangel  by James Rollins. Thrills and fast-paced action at it's finest. Rollins' tales never give you a moment t...