Friday, August 11, 2023

Saturday 9: Diana




Saturday 9: Diana (1957)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Legend has it that Paul Anka wrote this song about his favorite babysitter. In your younger days, did you make a little extra money as a sitter?  Not really. I only babysat a few times for my dad's boss and he was extremely cheap. I'd only get $5 for watching two children for 5-7 hours. Once they even dumped their friends' three kids on me, on New Year's Eve, so I had five kids...and they still only paid me $5 for the whole night. I never said anything because he was my dad's boss, but I sure found ways to avoid it as often as possible.

2) Paul sings he doesn't care what "they" say about his love for an older girl. Have you ever had a romantic relationship that your friends or family didn't approve of?  They had some reservations about my husband, but mostly only because we were so young. I can't say they didn't approve of him.

3) Paul was once a choirboy, singing with the St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral choir in Ontario. Have you ever performed with your church choir?  Bahahahahaha! Hard NO.

4) When Paul was 15, he left Ontario to find fame and fortune in New York. He had $100 in his pocket, a gift from his uncle. Tell us about someone in your life who who believed in you and encouraged you.  I was blessed to have many people in my life when I was young that encouraged me and told me I could do anything I set my mind to. My grandmother was probably my biggest cheerleader and fan, though. I can't remember her ever limiting me in any way.

5) Paul seldom gets credit for one of his most familiar compositions: the theme to The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Since Johnny retired in 1992, The Tonight Show has been hosted by Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, and Jimmy Fallon. Which of these Tonight Show hosts is your favorite?  I'm not really a fan of any of them, but I guess Jimmy Fallon might amuse me a bit more than the other two. Not that I make a habit of watching the Tonight Show.

6) 
In 1978, Paul Anka hired Las Vegas' first female bartender for his restaurant, Jubilation. Where did you most recently dine out?  Tonight (Friday). Tim and I went to a local neighborhood place. I had pizza and a cup of stuffed pepper soup and he had a hot turkey sandwich.

7) In 1957, when "Diana" was a hit, Wham-O began producing Frisbees. The toy was a massive success, even outselling the hula hoop. Do you enjoy tossing a Frisbee?  I did as a kid. The last time I gave it a try I found I'm not very good at getting it to go where I want it to go.

8) Also in 1957, the book Peyton Place was made into a blockbuster film. Book lovers often say that, no matter what, the movie is never as good as the book. Do you think that's true?  Yes, about 99% of the time.

9) Random question: This Saturday, the treat's on Sam. Will you have buttered popcorn, caramel corn or cheese popcorn?
  Buttered, please? With salt and pepper.

Thanks, as always, to Crazy Sam for the music and questions!
Play along here.

9 comments:

  1. #1: I had the total opposite experience! I had 2, sometimes 3, sets of parents vying for me. They would book me weeks in advance for New Year's and promise me double my rate and then tip me on top of it. I think it's because the kids liked me or were at least comfortable with me. Also, my mother often answered the phone (this was pre-cell phones and one number for the whole household). I think she was a canny negotiator on my behalf. Perhaps she was the original Kris Jenner! :)

    #9: Pepper on popcorn? I'll have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to make some popcorn now and add butter, salt and pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a blessing when people are encouraging. I got a chuckle from your "hard NO"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I used to like playing with a frisbee, too, but not anymore

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I love teaching now, I never did really like babysitting. I just wanted to be a kid. When I started working later at McDonald's, I enjoyed that more because I was with my friends. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I paid for a year of college by babysitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not enjoy what babysitting I did do. I ended up making money by playing music in a band. That was a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pepper on popcorn? Hmmmm. Another fun meme. I babysat my siblings more than anyone else and didn't get paid for that! One of my teachers had me sit their toddler once a month or so. He was easy and they paid the 50 cents and then usually gave me an extra dollar on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHHHHHHH I love stuffed pepper soup, grin. I am glad to see you are feeling better, smiles.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...