Saturday, August 19, 2023

Saturday 9: Michelle

Saturday 9: Michelle (1965)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Paul McCartney sings to Michelle in French, "Sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble." Can you say anything else in French?  I can say a few things after 3 years of French class, but it's nothing useful, just trite practice phrases...and I'm sure I can't spell them!

2) Paul admits he that, as a teenager, he'd perform the first few bars at parties to impress girls. It was John Lennon who encouraged him to "turn it into a proper song." Tell us about a time you were glad you took advice from a friend or coworker.  Years ago I had a supervisor tell me not to tell my coworkers anything personal. His words "these people are not your friends" proved true. I have never worked with a group of people who were more petty and back-stabbing.
 
3) A big Elvis fan, Paul is proud to own the bass that was played on the 1954 recording of "That's Alright, Mama." Tell us about one of your prized possessions.  I have a little celluloid horse that was my grandmother's. One year during the Depression it was the only Christmas gift she received. Her brother Sylvester had a job in a shoe store and bought it for her. One leg is glued on and came to her that way...and now there is a hole in one side because it fell to the floor a couple of years ago when I was cleaning and that's what happened. It's terribly brittle, but I was still upset.

4) John was also an Elvis fan and honored The King by naming one of his cats Elvis. Do you share your home with any pets? If so, let us know their names.  These days the only pet in the house is my Toy Poodle, Daisy. We did have a Beagle/Basset mix when our daughter was still at home and his name was...Elvis, because he wasn't nothin' but a hound dog.

5) John was a heavy smoker who often attempted to quit. He tried hypnosis but that didn't work. Have you ever been hypnotized?  Nope. I've tried but it's never worked.

6) George Harrison fell in love with Hawaii and bought a 63-acre estate. If you could take off tomorrow for a vacation to any of our 50 states, which one would you choose?  I don't know. I'd have to narrow it down from Maine, South Dakota, Tennessee, and New Mexico.

6) While Ringo Starr quit signing autographs for fans in 2008, he will donate autographed memorabilia to charity for auction. Have you ever bid on an item at auction? Did you win?  I've been going to auctions since I was a kid and I started bidding on things in my teens so, yes, I've won a lot of bids at this point. I pretty much furnished our first home with things from auctions and flea markets.
 
7) As a young boy, Ringo had a severe case of appendicitis and his appendix was removed. Do you still have your appendix?  Yes, I do.
 
8) In 1965 -- before Advil and Tylenol and Aleve -- Americans took aspirin to relieve pain. If we peered into your medicine chest, would we find aspirin?  No. You'd find some Walmart brand ibuprofen and Aleve's back and muscle formula.

9) Random question: You're at dinner with a married couple who begins to argue. Would you intercede and try to make peace? Or would you just sit back and mind your own business?  I might make a joking comment to try and diffuse the situation and/or change the topic, but I would not get involved in their business.

Thanks to Crazy Sam for the music and questions!
Play along here.

12 comments:

  1. Beagle/basset mix named Elvis …so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping for a Jasper update! How's the crazy kitty doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jasper is happier at my daughter's, but (and I warned her) she has decided his personality seems to qualify him as a "turd." He constantly knocks things down and or over. His worst damage so far has been destroying a flat screen TV.

      Delete
  3. #2 Where I worked we were like family, there was very little turn-over and most of us worked there for at least 20 years.
    #3 What a nice story and memories.
    #6A Maine, other Saturday 9er also said Maine we can have our own tour group!
    #6B I go to one of those banquets for non-profits and they have an auction, you don’t want to rub your nose because now you just bid $10,000 on a $5,000 cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to meet up with other Saturday 9ers in Maine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your answers hoping your Saturday is going well. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. #6. That sure got a Me, too from me. I got my little wooden framed folding mirror for a little over a buck fifty way back in '64. I was so happy! I decorated it with cut tissue snowflakes for Christmas that year. Go see Maine for me?! Give the Gals a hug, too.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...