Friday, September 29, 2023

Saturday 9: On a Clear Day


Saturday 9: On a Clear Day (1970)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) Is today a clear day where you are?  Today (Friday) was a beautiful day and tomorrow is predicted to be, as well, with a near record high for the date.
 
2) Streisand sings that today she's "astounded." What has recently shocked or greatly surprised you?  I can't really think of anything.

3) Streisand's voice astounded people from an early age. She began performing in New York clubs when she was only 18, too young to order a drink in the establishments where she sang. Do you remember the first adult beverage you ordered at a restaurant or bar?  I don't remember what it was, but it was at dinner with Tim when we were dating. He was 23 and I was just 19. The waitress never asked for my ID. In fact, I've never been carded.

4) Barbra has discussed the importance of her Jewish faith in her life and has enlisted the guidance of Reform, Conservative and and Orthodox rabbis as she explored her religion's complexities. Do you enjoy discussing religion?  Very much so...as long as it is a discussion and not an argument.

5) Taylor Swift just passed Barbra Streisand as the woman with the most #1 albums (12). What's the last album you purchased?  It's been several years...probably a Toby Keith CD or something I found at a thrift store or yard sale.
 
6) The lyrics to "On a Clear Day" were written by Alan Jay Lerner. He attended Choate, a private boarding school in CT, at the same time as John F. Kennedy. While JFK was in the White House, Lerner had two major Broadway hits -- Camelot and My Fair Lady -- running concurrently. Obviously those two Choate alumni did very well. Have you been to any of your class reunions? Have you been surprised, pleasantly or less so, by how any of your classmates turned out?  I went to my 30-year reunion and maybe 30 out of a class of 360+ bothered to show up. I declined to go to my 41-year reunion earlier this month. More than 30 showed up, but still far less than 100. Reunions seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs. Oh, and no, I haven't been surprised (except for how many of us have passed away). The snooty kids are still snooty adults.

7) The music was written by Burton Lane. In the 1930s, Lane worked for MGM Studios in Hollywood. After he heard Judy Garland perform at the Paramount Theater in Los Angeles, he brought her to the attention of his studio bosses and the rest, as they say, is history. Lane and Garland later worked together when Judy was an established star. He wrote the song, "How About You?" for her to sing in Babes on Broadway and received an Oscar nomination. Judy's best known movie has to be The Wizard of Oz. How many times have you seen it?  I'd guess close to 100 times.

8) In 1970, Glenn Frey formed the Eagles. What's your favorite Eagles song?  Take It Easy

9) Random question: 
Which would upset you more, being trapped in an elevator or stranded atop a mountain in a ski lift?  I don't think I'd be terribly thrilled with either, but maybe the ski lift would be worse? It would be colder, anyway.

Thanks, as always, to Sam for the music and questions.
Play along here.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. Interesting post. I would answer the same as you on many of the questions. I went to my 40th H.S. reunion in 2017 and it was OK, but I won't go back to the 50th. You are so right - snooty kids = snooty adults. You and your husband were 19 and 23 when you were dating, and so were Charly and I. We got married just before I turned 20. Now I realize that we were babies. ;-) I like to discuss religion too, but like you, I don't like to argue about it at all. Respect is always key. I hope you have a great fall weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Four that wanna own me, two that wanna stone me, one says she's a friend of mine." Great song choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have never been to our hs reunions and have no desire to do so...and I agree with your thoughts about that. Wishing you a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 I got carded a couple of years ago!
    #6 When I’ve gone to my reunions it was mostly locals except for the 50th.
    #9 Speaking from experience a ski can be very cold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was asked to see my ID when I was 20, buying beer for my husband's 30th. I never bought it before. I am sure we could discuss religion, but discussing our relationship with Jesus would be the topic. WWJD? Going to my 50th was okay because my husband wanted to go which was a total shock! He worked with a guy on the committee. Not sure of I would go to another one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to my 30th reunion and will not attend any others. We had a class of 212 and I think maybe 75 showed up for the 30th. We had a 10th that I did not attend, and from what I heard neither did many other people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still like to watch some of the old movies. And Wizard of Oz is one of them. About re-unions. I was told by one of my friends who went to a re-union said that all the soshies were there but not many of the others. I think it's changed a lot since then, by getting worse?

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...