Friday, October 13, 2023

Saturday 9: Goodbye, Cruel World

Saturday 9: Goodbye, Cruel World (1961)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) This week's song has a circus theme. Have you ever been to a circus? If yes, did you enjoy it?  I have been to the circus several times and each time was a different circus company. I did enjoy all of them, but while most of them were in arena settings, the best and most memorable ones were under the big top. My favorite thing was at only the first circus I ever went to...the sideshow. 
 
2) James Darren sings that he's running away to join the circus. When you were a kid, did you ever run away from home?  I don't think so. I don't remember doing it, anyway.
 
3) While he understands intellectually that this girl is no good for him, he tells us his heart is stubborn. Do you have a stubborn streak?  Sometimes. I try to be open and flexible about things, but sometimes things are too important to give in on.

4) Though he had three top 20 singles, including this one, James Darren found more consistent success as an actor. Between 1959 and 1963, he played surfer Jeff Matthews, aka "Moondoggie," in three Gidget movies. Have you seen any Gidget movies? What about the TV show, starring Sally Field?  I don't think I've ever seen the show, but I went through a phase when I loved surfer movies so I've seen and loved all the Gidget movies.

5) "Moondoggie" got his unique nickname because he enjoyed surfing in the moonlight. Looking back on Summer 2023, did you visit the beach (by moonlight or otherwise)?  I had one lovely afternoon with my husband and grandchildren at the beach at Lake Erie in August before I got sick and ruined the weekend. We drove up at the end of August just for the day so the kids could have their day at the beach. That was it. I haven't been to the ocean since our cruise in 2019 and there were no beaches involved.
 
6) While he was playing Gidget's teen dream, he was a married man. He wed Danish beauty queen Evy Norlund in 1960. They met when she came to Los Angeles to pursue a career and they were both working at Columbia Studios. More than 60 years later, they're still together. Tell us about the longest-married couple you know.  There is a couple at church who celebrated 65 years recently. Other than that, it just might be me and my husband with 39 years under our belts next month. Life-long marriages seem to be an unusual thing these days. Well, that and many people I know married a bit later than we did or they are in the early years of a second marriage.

7) James Darren also played Officer James Corrigan on ABC's police drama, TJ Hooker. Have you ever considered a career in law enforcement?  No
 
8) In 1961, when this song was on the radio, matching his & hers mohair sweaters were on trend. Do you have a favorite sweater?  I do. It's a long, black chenille cardigan with pockets. It's kind of a grandma sweater, but I love it. It's so soft and comfy. I throw it on over just about everything. It works as a sweater in winter and as a jacket when it's cool but not cold.

9) Random question -- They say we're all young at heart. In what ways are you childlike?  I'm still curious and filled with wonder at many things in life and I'm always up for an adventure.


Thanks to Sam for the music and questions! You can join the fun here

**Be patient with me, folks. I'm heading out on a train ride to a pumpkin patch with our daughter's family today. It's looking like it's going to be cold and rainy. Boo! That means cold, wet and muddy. Yuck. Anyway, I'll be around to visit after we get back.

10 comments:

  1. I hope you have a fun outing in spite of the weather. Your sweater sound so comfy. I hope you can make it back to the beach next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a beautiful day my friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wear your comfy sweater to the pumpkin patch …

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 We choose our battles, there are just somethings that are just not worth being stubborn over.
    #6 Yes, I think now a days find it easier to give up than workout the bumps. My brother and his wife have been married 56 years.
    #9 Curiosity keeps us young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to use myself as the oldest married couple, too. Kind of scary, actually. I'm sure there are some around me who have been married longer, but honestly, 40 years is a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Gidget movies were so much innocent fun. They still are.
    Fun post.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have a fun outing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your outing today isn't too unpleasant due to the weather!

    And I love your #9!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your answers, Stacy. Hope your day out with the kids was fun and not rainy/muddy!! Maybe you'll have some photos to share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your answer to #7 made me smile. That was definitive! Hopeyou had fun at the pumpkin patch.

    ReplyDelete

Sunday Stealing

Today's questions come from Swap-bot. You can join in the fun here . 1. What inspires you most?   My faith, my grandchildren and the int...