Friday, November 3, 2023

Saturday 9: True

Saturday 9: True (1983)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, lead singer Gary Kemp tells us he's overwhelmed by his feelings as he and a girl dance "toe to toe." What song did you most recently dance to?  I have no idea. It might have been something at work or with the grandkids or just me at home. I just don't remember.

2) Falling in love makes him want to listen to "Marvin all night long," a reference to Motown great Marvin Gaye. What's your favorite love song, and who sings it?  Me Too by Toby Keith




3) This song was inspired by Kemp's feelings for singer Clare Grogan. When they first met, they discovered a shared love of literature and for his birthday, she gave him a book she thought he'd enjoy. Who received the most recent birthday gift you gave, and what was it?  My mom. We share the same birthday. My husband took us out to dinner and I gave her a card with money in it.

4) Despite the popularity of the song it inspired, the Kemp-Grogan romance never really took off. Gary was involved with another woman and Clare was seeing other men and reluctant to settle down. The timing just wasn't right for them. Do you believe luck plays a big part in romance?  Not really. If someone is important to you, you make a commitment to them and find the time for them. If you aren't willing to do that then they aren't all that important to you. That's choice, not luck, in my book.

5) The cover art was created by Kemp's friend, David Band. David sketched it after seeing a man startled when a bird flew too close to him as he entered a pub. To Kemp, it represented how surprised he was by the sudden intensity of his feelings for Grogan. Band went on to become a world-renowned artist, with his work exhibited in galleries and museums in Australia, New Zealand, England and the United States. What museum have you most recently visited?  I think it was the Carnegie Natural History Museum in Pittsburgh when our grandson was a baby so it's been around 7 years.

6) In 2020, Kemp and bassist Guy Pratt launched their podcast Rockonteurs about the stories behind popular songs. Do you regularly listen to podcasts?  No. I never really got into the habit. I watch one every now and then on YouTube, but nothing regularly. Maybe it's because I've never been able to like talk radio, either.

7) Super Mario Bros. debuted in 1983. Without looking it up, can you name gaming's most famous siblings?  Mario and Luigi?
 
8) Also in 1983, for the first time, London's Abbey Road recording studio was open to the public. Visitors were treated to a multi-media presentation called The Beatles at Abbey Road. During the two months it was open, more than 22,000 tickets were sold. What's the most recent ticket you purchased?  It was for a train ride to a pumpkin patch with our daughter's family.



9) Random question -- At your favorite restaurant, a genie will grant you one of these two wishes: 1) you can eat whatever you want without gaining weight or 2) you can order whatever you want for free. Which do you choose?   To eat what I want without gaining weight and I hope the wish is good forever and not for just one meal.

Thanks to Crazy Sam for the music and questions!
Play along here.

11 comments:

  1. Yes, it's Mario and Luigi! I think this week we'll be able to tell who has kids in their lives. :)
    #9 -- I think it's forever. I made up the genie, so I'm in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 Yup. Love take work.
    #5 When I was in college in Rochester NY back in the 70s in an art history class the professor was talking about a museum with a collection Hudson River School of art right down the road from where I live!
    #8 The local steam train museum has a pumpkin patch ride, Essex Steam Train and a friend before he retired was an engineer on the steam train and on the Board of Directors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! If the food thing is forever, I would do the gain no weight option. I love that.
    I would love to take a train ride again. It is so relaxing to me. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. #9 ~ It would be Choice #2, definitely. I already know how to eat and lose weight (I'm down to a size 14! from 2X and I'm never really hungry). That would be so satisfying to order whatever I want and never pay for it. I would buy things for others first 'cause I pretty much am content now. God has blessed us so much. There are too many neighbors struggling to make ends meet with these Bidenomics. I would buy them food and medicine so they could feel content too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Podcasts are like audiobooks for me--I have to be doing something (usually knitting or coloring on my iPad).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to go on another train ride. Our church had a little train going around for the kids. I did a round trip to Colorado during the winter and it was beautiful! Also, a trip from Skagway Alaska to Canada on a bus and then a train ride back and it was beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed my visit here, Stacy! Fun answers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Stacy, for the many smiles. I hope you have a beautiful Sunday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is so beautiful, I have been so busy lately about life but let me share with you all about my health life experience with the great herbal traditional doctor that saved the life of mine and my dear husband.I was suffering from a deadly disease herpes and diabetes and i went through alot trying to get better each everyday of my life until I came across a testimony on blogs someone telling good about Dr Jekawo, a traditional herbal doctor that cure all kind of disease such as: herpes,diabetes,cancer,hpv,lupus,degenerative disease also bring back ex, and other spiritual consultations, I contacted him via drjekawo@gmail.com then he pepared the herbal medicines and send to me which takes 21 days treatment that cured my diabetes and herpes completely,I'm so grateful with the help he rendered to me therefore I promised to share his great works.Thank you and I hope this could save someone else out there.
    Karen Paul
    South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...