Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Another Christmas Behind Us

The clock is ticking down on the final moments of our Christmas. Tomorrow it is back to work for both Tim and me. Neither of us is very excited about it. There isn't anything going on the rest of the week as our daughter's family is leaving tomorrow for the trip to Erie and the indoor water park that they promised our grandson for his birthday. They won't be back until late in the day on Saturday. It would just be nice to have a few days to relax. We didn't get much of that since Friday.

Tim got home late on Friday (though earlier than he's been getting home for the last 2 months) as his work always has a bit of a Christmas party at the home office the last day of work before Christmas. The men can't skip it as that's when the yearly bonuses are handed out. Tim didn't stay as long as he used to because most of the men he's been friends with over the years have retired or moved to other companies since the company was sold a couple years ago to a large parent company. The top management has slowly been being replaced by their people and while Tim gets along with them, he isn't friends with them. After 2 months of working ridiculous hours to finish up his project he crashed when he got home. I was okay with that since I worked in manufacturing on Friday for the first time in 2 months and I was in pain.

Saturday started slow...for Tim, anyway. He was still in crash mode and didn't get out to do his shopping until lunchtime. He was back in record time, though, and in a good mood because he'd found what he wanted quickly and got out. I did some cleaning while he was gone and started the wrapping process while he was out. I'd hoped he'd help wrap when he got home, but he decided to go get his driver's license renewed. The licensing bureau was closed so he wasn't able to get it. While he was out the second time I went to get a couple of gift cards for local grocery stores as gifts for my mom and stepdad and buy some gift bags (I was no longer feeling the urge to wrap all the gifts). Unfortunately, everywhere I went was very much picked over and there was little left. I found some bags, but not enough to do everything in bags. Our daughter was in and out all day and calling constantly, but the grandchildren were "banned" because of gifts all over the place.

Sunday was showtime whether Tim was ready for it or not and most of the day was spent in a flurry of wrapping and cooking. Our daughter's family was busy having their Christmas with our son-in-law's family so our only break was for supper with my mom and stepdad. It has become a Christmas Eve tradition for us to get together and enjoy a meal of take-out Chinese food since the kids are not around. It was a nice day and we watched some new shows on Prime and Apple while we wrapped. I finished the last gift around 10:00.

Christmas morning we slept in a bit and then had our Christmas here at home. Tim liked his gifts of a shelf that lets him store and charge 4 of his battery powered tools, a composter, a really good flashlight, binoculars that connect to his phone so he can take photos of what he's looking at, and new work shirts. He got me a new dishwasher, though that won't actually get here until Saturday, and an amazing massage thing for my feet and legs.

While I finished up the food, Tim loaded all the presents into the SUV and took them over to our daughter's house. After that we loaded up the food and went over for the day. My mom and stepdad arrived right after us with more food and gifts. We tortured the kids and ate dinner before we opened gifts, but they did pretty well and were amazingly patient.

I'd say everyone was happy with their gifts. I really stress over finding the perfect gifts for everyone and it gives me such joy when I succeed. Colton loved all his military toys and Leah's favorite thing was her new vanity. Mom made Colton a very special gift...an army shirt with his name and the actual patches from my stepdad's uniform. They also got him dog tags with his name on them.




Today we got going a little late, but then were out all afternoon. We went and took care of renewing Tim's license then he wanted to look for a new pair of workboots. He found a pair that was comfortable right away which was amazing as he is nearly as hard to find comfy shoes for as I am. He also bought me a new concealed carry purse. We looked at a few shops in downtown Greensburg that I've been wanting to look at. Most of them were closed and we didn't see anything to buy. We had a (very) late lunch at Red Lobster then went to Lowe's so Tim could show me the dishwasher I'm getting. We also priced kitchen cabinets and a new front door. The grandchildren came over as soon as we got home to give their mom a few hours of peace to get things packed for their trip. It was nice to have them here.

The only not so bright spot in our Christmas was the absence once again of our son's family. We have heard nothing from him in over three years at this point. It was all the tougher today because it is our oldest grandchild's birthday. She turned 15 today and we haven't seen her since she was 12...still a child then and nearly a woman now. We can only imagine what she and her brother might be like now.

And that brings me up to date and it's time to say goodnight and head to bed. (I am really missing working on that school schedule about now.)

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this Christmas post, Stacy!! Trying to catch up with all I've missed! Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...