Friday, December 15, 2023

Saturday 9: The Christmas Blues

Saturday 9: The Christmas Blues (1953)

Play along here.


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Dean Martin sings that the streets are white with snow. Do you anticipate a White Christmas this year?  No, the forecast is predicting temperatures close to 50 on Christmas day.

2) He tells us he's done plenty of window shopping this season. Do you find you're influenced by a retailer's window dressing and store decor? Are you more motivated by price? Or do you do most of your shopping online, making holiday decorations irrelevant?  I do most of my shopping online, but when I do shop the mall and other stores the window displays and such do make a difference. I often see something that catches my eye and I'll at least go inside and check it out.
 
3) Dean was born in Steubenville, OH. Though he rarely returned to his hometown, it was in his thoughts during the holidays. Every Christmas he made like Santa and sent toys to hospitalized children in the Steubenville area. Are there toys on your shopping list this year?  Absolutely! Colton and Leah would be very disappointed if there weren't.

4) He had fast hands when it came to cards and before he was famous he worked as a dealer in Atlantic City. When you play cards, what's your favorite game?  For regular cards, gin, but we're more likely to play UNO.

5) Dean Martin was an avid reader ... of comic books. Especially in bed when he was on the road and couldn't sleep. Much as he enjoyed comic books, he was embarrassed by them. What do you do when you can't sleep?  Lay there and toss and turn.

Now let's have a few holiday-specific questions:
 
6) Every year, the United States Postal Service introduces special holiday stamps. Do you purchase them?  Usually, but not this year. I've been so pressed for time that I haven't even gotten my cards addressed yet. I have high hopes for this weekend, but the stamps will most likely be plain old normal ones.
 
7) Do you have a funny/ugly holiday sweater?  I do. It has llamas and cacti on it.
 
8) Do you wrap your presents or use gift bags?  I use both, though I'd much rather tuck everything into bags and be done with it. Wrapping is my least favorite part of Christmas.

9) We're doing Christmas karaoke! What holiday or winter-themed song will you perform?  By now you have to know I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but if you force me....how about "Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin layed an egg. The Batmobile lost its wheel and the Joker got away."

Thanks, Sam, for the music and questions! 

11 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy, I just love see everyone unwrap their gifts! I bought Christmas stamps at Walgreens Pharmacy. I have only sent a few cards out so far. They will be in the mail by Monday. There was a time when I sent them out on Dec. 1st. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy. Fun post. I also use a mixture of gift bags and gift wrap. Gift bags are probably better because they can be recycled and used again and again, but I am not very good at getting the tissue paper in the gift bag to look right. The Christmas cards we mail are all out, but probably this weekend I will take cards and goodies to some neighbors and friends in the local area. I hope you have a great weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I only played UNO once in my life. It was at a party at a coworker's house and in retrospect, I think she was trying to fix me up with her brother. It was such an awkward night ... but I shouldn't blame poor UNO for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun answers to some fun questions. I like UNO too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 The same here, in the 50s and bright sun.
    #6 My problem is usually I forget to do them until the last minute.
    #9 Same here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't played Uno in years. We used to sing that little jingle when we were kids, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #4 I only play computer card games.
    #6 With the price of stamps many are sending out post cards.
    #9 The same here, I’m tone deaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Uno, haven’t played it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My great-nephews learned that version of Jingle Bells and they are so silly singing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather here at my house is about the same as yours. I am not mad at it though. It is easier during recess.
    I have made out my cards, but I have no stamps! I should have thought about that first. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have memories of my mom saying over and over on Christmas morning to not tear the paper!! She would fold it up to use again. Now the bags get saved and are much easier to use again! LOL I enjoyed your answers, Stacy. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...