Friday, January 12, 2024

Saturday 9: Hotel California

Saturday 9: Hotel California (1977)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Don Henley called the hotel's front desk and asked, "Please bring me my wine." He was told they haven't had wine since 1969. When did you last have a glass of wine?  New Year's Eve was the last time I had wine. It was a very good local red called Red Dog Road. There is still some left, but at this point it's probably not going to be very good. Stupid covid.

2) The lyrics refer to wine as a "spirit." That is incorrect. Wines are fermented, not distilled, and have a lower alcohol content than spirits. When "Hotel California" was popular, listeners who were into wine called radio stations to let them know about the mistake. Are you a wine aficionado? Are any of your friends or family knowledgeable about wine?  I enjoy wine and while I keep learning, I wouldn't say I'm knowledgeable. Several members of our families enjoy wine and we usually go at least once a year to the PA/NY border and drive the Wine Trail (which also includes several distilleries at this point) stopping at wineries to taste and stock up.

3) In the song, Henley sings about looking for the door that will take him "back to the place I was before." Don says that refers to a loss of innocence and a longing for a simpler time. When you think about "the good old days," where does your mind wander to?  Life before social media. While I like a lot about social media, I'll also be the first to admit it has changed us in some very fundamental ways. Life was, I think simpler and more innocent before we knew everyone's thoughts and all the details of their lives all the time.
 
4) With five #1 singles, six #1 albums, and six Grammy awards, it's generally agreed that the Eagles were one of the most popular groups of the 1970s. Which decade produced most of your favorite songs?  It's an equal mix of 70's and 80's music for me. My teen years and early 20's spanned both decades so I love both. The Eagles, by the way, were my favorites in the late 70's and very early 80's.
 
5) The Eagles were formed in 1971 when four of them happened to find themselves hired to play back up for Linda Ronstadt. The men found they really hit off and wanted to keep working together when the gig with Linda was up. Tell us about how you met someone important in your life.  I met my husband at work. I was in college and my dad decided I should start spending my breaks from school working at the foam rubber plant where he was a supervisor. I met Tim the first day, but nothing really happened right away, though I thought he was very handsome with his black hair and blue eyes. It wasn't till I came to work the next summer that we went out on a date and the rest was history.
 
6) The Eagles are still on the road, filling big arenas for their Long Goodbye tour. One explanation for their enduring popularity is that their music spans genres. They scored hits on the rock, pop and country charts. Other popular categories of music include classical, gospel, jazz, Latin, reggae, New Age, and rap. Which do you listen to most often? Which did you listen to most recently?  I usually listen to 70's and 80's pop and rock. They played a lot of country at work today (Friday) as well as allllll the Steeler fight songs during our pizza party/pep rally.

 
7) In 1976, when "Hotel California" was topping the charts, the trend in home decor was vibrant. Intense copper, bright pink and vivid avocado were among the popular colors for bath towels, mats and shower curtains that year. If we were to peek into your 2024 bathroom(s), what colors would we find?  Gray, white, and turquoise.
 
8) Handbags were big in 1976. Not just in popularity but in size. Purses routinely had compartments on the inside and pockets on the outside. When you leave the house, do you travel light? Or do you prefer to carry a lot with you?  It depends. To go shopping or to do some touristy type thing I prefer to travel as light as possible with a small crossbody bag. For work, I lug a big bag with all the "necessities."

9) Random question -- How different is your life today than it was a year ago: (a) a lot; (b) a little); (c) not at all?  Just a little.

Thanks to Sam for the great music and fun questions. You can play along here.


8 comments:

  1. Black hair and blue eyes is a potent combination! No wonder your heart went aflutter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wine tasting can be lots of fun. I had to learn how to taste them sparingly or it would end up like an episode of I Love Lucy and her "Vitameatavegamin commercial". LOL My favorite wine is 'Barefoot' Cabernet Sauvignon (red). Makes my tummy feel relaxed and warm plus I stay in keto because it's low in sugar.
    Aren't you glad you listened to your Dad and went to work for the Plant!? That's sweet. I met my husband in April 1978 in the Florida Keys on a SCUBA diving trip but we both lived in Jacksonville, Florida. We fell for each other right away. Married about a little over a year later in August 1979. After Jesus he is one of the best parts of my life.
    LOVE the new blog background!
    Y'all stay warm. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your answer to #9 is me exactly! I have a small crossbody bag that I carry a few things in when I carry that bag and I have a tote to carry to work.
    I am the same as far as what you wrote about current music. I tried to stay up with the music and just got frustrated thinking it all sounded awful. I also have a few songs here and there I really like every so often. Jonas Brothers are usually good for me. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the 70s and 80s music is among the best. That's why it's still played and even younger people know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Eagles and have a few of their CDs. Wine tastings are always fun AND educational. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listen to the hits station on Sirius just so I have some reference points for artists my students talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post my friend. Wishing you beautiful day. smiles

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

The weather is 70 degrees at 8:54 p.m. and the threat of thunderstorms hangs over us. This week is not as hot as last week, but even cooler ...