Friday, January 26, 2024

Saturday 9: Joanna

Thanks goes out to Crazy Sam for the music and questions. Enjoy the meme? Play along here.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) The subject of this week's song, Joanna, is described as someone who never lets you down and can always be counted upon. Who in your life is like that? To some degree I'd have to say everyone in my inner circle is like that. I mean, who wants friends who aren't there for you. We all let someone down now and then, but if you are consistently that kind of friend, you probably aren't going to last long in my life unless there is a very good reason for it.

2) Kool and the Gang vocalist James "J. T." Taylor sings that he will do his best to do what's right for her. Reflect on the last week. What did you devote special effort to?  Resting, getting well, and seeing a doctor in person. It's finally working, too. The virus that has owned me for the last two weeks is beginning to let up and I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not sure I'll actually be ready for it, but I told my boss that I will return to work on Monday.

3) This video was filmed at the Colonial Diner in Lyndhurst, NJ. Still open 40 years later, the Colonial is known for their Boom Boom Shrimp, aka fried shrimp in sweet chili sauce. Think of your favorite local restaurant. What menu item would recommend?  The zucchini fries. They are coated, deep-fried, zucchini straws. Dipped in ranch dressing they are my Kryptonite. For an actual meal I'd recommend either the burgers, the hot turkey sandwich (with fries and everything smothered in gravy), or the lasagna. All are excellent.  

4) Kool and the Gang's biggest hit was 1980's "Celebration," which is popular today with disc jockeys at wedding receptions. Are you likely to get up and dance at a wedding reception? Or would we find you enjoying the party from your seat?  If I have someone to dance with I'll be on the dance floor.

5) Kool and the Gang are proud of their NJ roots. Group founder Robert Bell was given the nickname "Kool" by his Jersey City friends because he was so "laid back." Do you think your friends would describe you as "laid back?"  Yes. Most everyone comments on my calmness and go with the flow-ness.

6) One of the Jersey City's biggest employers is Evergreen, a transportation and shipping company with offices in Evertrust Plaza, a high-rise near the waterfront. What is the tallest building you've ever been in? Were you there for business, or to enjoy the view?  I've been in a few high-rises in Pittsburgh, but never more than a few floors up. I've been to the top of the Skylon Tower at Niagara Falls, Ontario and the top of the Washington Monument, but do those count as buildings?

7) In 1983, when "Joanna" topped the charts, Vanessa Williams became the first African American to be crowned Miss America. Today, Miss America is still among the most popular televised pageants, along with Miss World and Miss Universe. Do you watch beauty pageants?  Growing up it was a big deal in my family. We'd all watch and pick our "winner" then track the votes and see who won bragging rights. I probably haven't watched any of the pageants since the early 90's. Tim's not into that and it's no fun on my own.

8) Also in 1983, superstars Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson joined forces for the #1 song, "Say, Say, Say." Each man began his career as part of a group but went on to have success on his own. Can you think of anyone else who started out in band or group but also scored as a solo artist?  Lionel Ritchie, Phil Collins, Stevie Nicks, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Darius Rucker, and Vince Gill to name a few.

9) Random question: Have you more recently eaten bread sticks or carrot sticks?  Bread sticks. I love bread sticks, especially if they're garlic ones.


I really am beginning to feel better after nearly two weeks of being home with a nasty virus. It wasn't covid, flu, or rsv. I can't tell you what it was. There are two schools of thought about it. One is that since I got it right on the heels of having covid, it hit me harder. The second is that it is another big nasty that's floating around. I don't pretend to know the answer, but I've heard several other people from all over the blogosphere/Facebook worlds describe having the same symptoms and duration. All I can say is stay healthy out there. This one is no fun.

On a happier note, the new furniture got delivered today. I promised a picture, but please ignore any mess you see....a month of me being down sick hasn't done anything good for the house.



9 comments:

  1. Wow.. the new furniture is wonderful! The room looks so inviting and comfy! Enjoy it in good health and I hope you are feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard several people that gone one after the other and a couple had the flu and Covid! I have had no viruses, just eat infections. You new furniture looks comfy! The house can wait, your health is more important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, praise God that you are getting better!!! I've been so concerned. Prayers that may continue.
    My husband is one of those who doesn't let anyone down. I've probably done it more times than I care to admit. *grin*
    Mess?! There's no mess! Your furniture looks fab. Love it. Good color choice, design, and everything. The pillows are perfect too. Well done.
    Get well soon! I pray you can return to work on Monday and not be unwell anymore.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are improving. I did a teledoc visit with my primary care doctor yesterday and she gave me a z-pack. I already sound a little better, so I hope it knocks it out. She said I had a sinus infection, though it may have started out as a virus. I've been sick for 8 days now. I like your furniture. Does it smell? I have a terrible time with new furniture because the odor of "newness" is so strong it sets off my asthma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #2 Knock on wood so far I have been lucky… no colds.
    #6 The last time I was at Niagara Falls back in the early 70s

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choice on the furniture!! Very nice! Stacy, I'm so happy you are finally feeling better. Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're starting to feel better! It's been tough trying to pack and move so soon after I had Covid. I definitely notice my stamina is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you're feeling better, yes, there is something going around, sigh...and I love the new furniture. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you’re feeling better. I’ve been to the Skylin Tower, the view is magnificent. Of course it counts.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...