Saturday, January 20, 2024

Saturday 9: Young Girl

Saturday 9: Young Girl (1968)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The song is about a girl who is too young for romance. How old were you when your parents allowed you to date?  I don't really remember it being discussed, but I didn't go out on an actual date until I was a senior in high school. I was 17.

2) Lead singer Gary Puckett mentions the girl's perfume. What scent do you wear most often?  I don't wear actual perfume because it kills my sinuses. I wear body sprays, usually from Bath & Body, usually food scented. Right now I'm using "warm vanilla sugar" but I also have "winter candy apple" and a couple of tropical scents that feature coconut and/or pineapple.

3) "Young Girl" reached #2 on the charts and stayed there for three weeks, but it never hit #1. It was stuck behind Otis Redding's "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay." Are you competitive by nature? Or would you be satisfied doing well, but not being #1?  I can be competitive, but I'm not nearly as much so as when I was younger. In most things I can be satisfied with a job well done these days.

4) The Union Gap got together in San Diego, California's second most populated city. Have you ever visited California? If yes, where did you go?  No, I've never been to California. I've always had this fear in the back of my mind that the moment I step foot in the state will be when the "big one" hits and California (along with me) will fall off into the ocean just like they told us would happen back in school.

5) The Union Gap performed at a White House state dinner for special guests Prince Charles and Princess Anne. Some in attendance that night maintain that President Nixon seemed to be playing matchmaker that night between the Prince and his daughter, Tricia. Have you ever tried to fix people up? If yes, did romance result?  I introduced my sister-in-law and her husband. They've been married for almost 30 years so I guess romance resulted.

6) After six Top 20 hits in three years, the Union Gap disbanded. Today Gary Puckett tours as a solo artist on the "oldies circuit" with Peter Noone of the Herman's Hermits. Without looking it up, can you name any of the Herman's Hermits hits?  "I'm Henry the VII, I Am," and "Can't You Hear My Heart Beat?"

7) In 1968, when "Young Girl" was a hit, Jacqueline Kennedy married Aristotle Onassis. Think about the last wedding you attended. Were you closer to the bride or groom?  I don't think we've been to a wedding since our daughter got married, so that would definitely be the bride.

8) Also in 1968, the most popular movie in theaters was Funny Girl, starring Barbra Streisand. What's the last movie you watched?  I watched so many movies when I was off work with covid that I have no idea what the last one was. Tim had a few movies on last weekend, but I didn't watch them.

9) Random question -- Come clean: Right now are there more dishes in your sink or clothes in your hamper?  With me being sick so much lately, it's kind of been a tie most of the time. However, I did load the dishwasher and run it today so the hamper "wins" this time.

Thanks as always, Sam, for the music and questions! If you enjoyed this, you can play along here.

15 comments:

  1. #4: One woman that I see every year in Hollywood for the TCM Film Festival believes like you do, that "the big one" is imminent. She reminded me to leave slip-on shoes next to the bed in my hotel room so I can evacuate quickly and safely. I didn't say it but thought, "Well, aren't you silly!" Then I remembered all the prayer and medication it took to get me onto the plane to Los Angeles and was suitably chastened. I think we're each irrationally frightened of something. Silly to one person is very real to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! And sometimes those irrational fears are proved true. I've always had a thing about looking for snakes in the toilet if I have to use the bathroom in the night. My son found this hilarious...until he saw a news story about rattlesnakes in a toilet in TX. They get in through vent pipes and such.

      Delete
  2. Are you feeling any better, Stacy? There is this never-ending bug going around, so it seems. I hope you have a beautiful day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could get rid of the dang cough I might feel something close to human. I have to go back to work on Monday, though, so I'm going to start moving around some today.

      Delete
  3. That's a scary thought about California...can you even imagine?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between the picture my teachers back in the day painted and the images Hollywood has given us I can imagine all too well!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Eh, getting there. I appreciate the good thoughts.

      Delete
  5. My Dad was going to make me wait until I was 16 before going on any official dates but I fudged a little and went on one about a month before that birthday. When I look back on that now I realize I really was too young. I had zero discernment and did super stupid, unhealthy things. A young girl left to her own devices is just askin' for trouble!
    Hope you're feeling better today!? Prayers for healing.
    Stay warm & safe. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I look back now and realize just how stupid I was about a lot of things, not just boys. Hindsight, huh? Getting a little better, but the cough is awful today. The congestion seems to be breaking up a little.

      Delete
  6. Warm vanilla sugar and Winter Candy Apple are both nice. One of my co-workers got me Winte Candy Apple body wash for Christmas. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pear Berry used to be my favorite, but I don't think they make it anymore.

      Delete
  7. I really hope you're feeling better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never wanted to go to California. Not because of earthquakes, but there is that for sure! Ha! I enjoyed your answers and wish you a blessed Sunday and week ahead!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So California girl here all 68 years of my life and doing fine. I have experienced many earthquakes. I have seen books fall off the shelf, pictures move, hanging lights sway, water swish out of the pool/spa but not any serious damage. Unless you live at the epicenter, damage is usually mild. My grandma told me she experienced a big earth quake where the whole kitchen table collapsed. I think the scariest one for me is when hubby and I were in Las Vegas and on the 16th floor and we felt one. A water main broke at the Golden Nugget. Tourist were talking about it. The quake was in Landers, in the desert and was a 7.2, a major earthquake. I felt one the other day when I was in bed. It was 4.2 and about 33 miles. I am not worried. I see way more destruction by tornadoes and hurricanes. But at least with those you get a warning. We don't.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...