Friday, February 9, 2024

Saturday 9: At Last

Thanks goes to Sam at the Saturday 9 for the music and questions. I'm joining in, though it will be later on Saturday afternoon before I can get around to check out everyone's answers and comment. We are taking our grandson to Pittsburgh in the morning for a day at Jurassic Quest, a traveling dinosaur show. We wanted to take our granddaughter, as well, but she and her mom are going to see the Disney princesses on ice.

With that said, it's on to 


Saturday 9: At Last (1960)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) Etta James sings that "life is like a song." What song reflects how you feel about life these days?  As far as how my life is going, I'm choosing It's a Great Day to Be Alive by Travis Tritt.

However, when I think about the loss of Toby Keith this week, I think of Cryin' for Me, Toby's song about the loss of a friend.



2) She is delighted to have found the love she has always dreamed of. Have you found true love to be the way you imagined it would be? Or has it surprised you?  I'd say it's surprised me a bit. It's what I imagined, but way back when, I didn't imagine how much work and attention it takes to keep a love healthy.
 
3) Etta's mother encouraged her to not just sing but perform a song, telling her daughter, "Even if a song has been done a thousand times, you can still bring something of your own to it." Is there a singer whose performances often touch your heart?  Toby, of course, but so many others, as well. Casting Crowns is a Christian group that speaks to my soul with nearly every song. I'm so excited that I will finally get to see them live next month. Music is the language of the heart and plucks all the emotional strings.
 
4) As a teen, she was considered a gospel prodigy and churches all around Los Angeles requested she "guest" at their services. Do you have a favorite religious song?  I already mentioned Casting Crowns in the last question. I love all of their songs. I don't think I can pick a favorite. My favorite hymn is How Great Thou Art. I can't hear it without getting goosebumps.



5) "At Last" is one of the most often requested songs for the newlywed's first dance at the reception. What song reminds you of a sweetheart?  After 40 years I don't really remember any from before my husband. There are a lot of songs I associate with him. Our first dance at our reception was Could I Have this Dance by Ann Murray. It was THE song in 1984 when Urban Cowboy was still huge around here.




This is the last Saturday 9 before Valentine's Day and so this morning we shall focus on the upcoming holiday.
 
6) It's been reported that millions of roses are grown specifically for Valentine's Day each year. What's your favorite flower?  It's a toss up between Sunflowers and Zinnias. Both are such happy flowers.
 
7) The earliest recorded celebration of Valentine's Day was in Paris in the year 1400. Obviously you weren't around for that one. What do you remember from one of your earliest, childhood Valentine's Day celebrations?  I remember one boy in my kindergarten class opening his Valentines from the class and every time he got one from a girl he'd run over and (try to) give her a kiss. He was doing a lot of kissing since nobody gave just one card to a person. We all went through the list and then went back again and again until we'd used all our cards.
 
8) About 20% of pet owners say they give their dogs, cats, birds or bunnies a Valentine. Is your pet getting something special on February 14?  I give them Christmas presents, but no, they aren't getting any Valentines.

9) Of all the professions, teachers are #1 when it comes to receiving Valentine cards. Did you ever have a crush on a teacher?  Oh my, yes! My homeroom teacher all through high school was one of the boys' gym teachers, a total Italian hottie. He treated us all like little brothers and sisters and really cared about all of us and got to know us well. To this day when I see him anywhere he remembers me and gives me a huge hug.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy. I hope you and yours have a very Happy Valentine's Day. So sad that Toby Keith is gone so soon. I also like Casting Crowns. It's so neat that you get to go to their concert. I hope you have a very good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you when I heard about Toby Keith. It's hard to lose someone who brought us so much pleasure. My favorite song from "Urban Cowboy" was always "Lookin' for Love." That first line: "I spent a lifetime looking for you ..." Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....I never thought of "Lookin' for Love" in that light. I always kind of got bogged down on the "in all the wrong places" part. I like your way better!

      Delete
  3. Casting Crowns is one of my favorite groups too. Steve and I sang "Glorious Day" at Church. The song was a big hit. I just wish I had a better voice to praise Him with.
    We try to plant Giant Sunflowers and Zinnia's every year. They are cheerful flowers.
    I told Steve before we married that I don't do Valentine's. Just be nice to me and it's all good. He's never let me down.
    Hope you're feeling good these days. That all the sickness is gone.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful you get to see Casting Crowns in person. That should be a great concert! I do love them. I am not really into country music, so I didn't know Toby Keith. Apparently I missed out as he seems to be very popular. I am sorry he is gone so soon. And oh, yes, How Great Thou Art will always be one of my most favorite hymns. Hope you are feeling better now...been praying for you. Take care and God bless you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't shake the cough completely, but otherwise I'm much, much better. Thank you for asking and for all your prayers!

      Delete
  5. I think Toby's death hit me harder than I'd have imagined b/c I've been walking around with his songs stuck in my head. Not a bad thing, but it's nice to hear Ann Murray again. Travis, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of you when I heard about Toby Keith, I know he's your favorite. That Anne Murray song is lovely still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toby Keith's death made me sad. Such talent. Another interesting Saturday 9 for us to enjoy. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember what song my husband and I danced to. I'm not even sure we danced because he doesn't dance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are lucky you get to see Casting Crowns! How Great Thou Art is one of my favorite songs too and I want it played at my funeral. I only knew about Toby Keith because of you. So sad when someone young dies. Have great week!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...