Saturday, February 3, 2024

Saturday 9: Poor Little Fool

Ricky Nelson. I grew up listening to Ricky and have always liked his music. He was my mom's favorite and her teenage crush. 

I think I've shared the story before, but back in 1985 my husband and I were living in Orlando, Florida. My parents came to visit us during the Christmas season. A few days after Christmas, Nelson was scheduled to give a free concert in downtown Orlando. My mom, of course, wanted to go very much. The rest of the family not so much. We talked Mom out of it, giving her all kinds of reasons, including how crowded it would be. Mom was out numbered so we didn't go. Two days later Ricky Nelson died in a plane crash. To this day Mom will remind me that I kept her from her only chance of seeing her idol.

Saturday 9: Poor Little Fool (1958)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Ricky Nelson sings of a girl with "carefree devil eyes." Are your eyes your best feature? If not, what is?  When I was younger I'd have said they were, but my eyes are heavy lidded and that just gets worse as you get older and everything starts to sag...even the eyelids. So, I guess these days I'd say my smile.

2) "Poor Little Fool" literally arrived at Ricky's doorstep. A pretty girl knocked on his front door, and played and sang her original composition for him. Who has most recently knocked on your front door (or rung the bell)?  Nobody uses our front door. We use our side door. The last to knock would have been our daughter last evening. She came to get the kids and walk up to my mom's with me for a birthday party for Mom's dog. Yeah, Mom had cupcakes and ice cream for the dog.

3) That girl was Sharon Sheeley. A teen model in Los Angeles during the 1950s, she met many of the early rock stars at promotional events. Elvis encouraged her to follow her heart and start writing songs, so she did. Who have you advised recently? Did they take your advice?  I'm sure it was our daughter. She's always calling and asking for advice, but much like her father, she tends not to take it unless someone else confirms it.

4) With the success of "Poor Little Fool," Sharon gave up modeling and concentrated on music. Her songs were recorded by singers such as Richie Valens, Glen Campbell and Johnny Rivers. How many different occupations have you tried? Which was your favorite?  I think I've tried six. My favorite, by far, is my current one working with developmentally disabled adults.

5) Ricky Nelson was the son of Ozzie and Harriet and brother of David Nelson. They began performing together as a family with their radio program The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. They took the show to television in 1952, where they were referred to as "The Most Famous Family in America." What TV family would you like to hang around with?  They were an unconventional family, but I'd choose the Full House clan. There was a lot of love and a lot of fun in that house.

6) While Ricky eventually became the audience favorite, he wasn't initially a likely candidate for stardom. A producer described him as "an odd little kid," shy and small for his age. In those early days, big brother David was more outgoing and considered a natural actor. Thinking back to your preteen years, were you more like David or Rick?  Ricky, I think. I've always gone to the beat of my own drum and never quite fit with the "in" crowd.

7) Ricky never got over his shyness. He often closed his eyes as he sang on camera or before an audience because it helped him battle his nerves and concentrate on the music. Fan magazine oohed and aahed over his beautiful long lashes and young girls fantasized about Ricky closing his eyes before leaning in for a kiss. Who was your big pre-teen crush?  In my pre-teen years it was definitely Donny Osmond. Once I hit my teens there were many others. Shawn Cassidy, Rick Springfield, Scott Baio, Rex Smith, Clark Brandon, Erik Estrada, Andy Gibb....

8) In 1958, when "Poor Little Fool" was #1, American women were shopping for Italian-inspired footwear. Heels were lower, and the leather was textured and less shiny that the popular patent leather of years gone by. If you were to go shoe shopping today, what would you be looking for?  Over-all comfort and good arch support. I don't even care (much) what they look like these days. It just about kills me. I was a shoe girl when I was younger and wore heels all the time.

9) Random question -- Which of these parties sounds like the most fun: a) one you host yourself; b) one at a friend's home; c) a surprise party in your honor?  Either one I host myself or a surprise party in my honor. Either way I'd probably know everyone and be comfortable schmoozing. I hate being thrown into a crowd where I don't really know the other guests.

Thanks, Sam, for the music and questions.

Play along here.

10 comments:

  1. #2 Nobody uses our front door. Same here, in the suburbs everyone has garage door openers so you never see any of the neighbors.
    #4 Good for you!
    #7 My brother is around the age of Ricky Nelson and my brother friends tried to be cool like them, it was so funny.
    #9 A crowded party with strangers… my worst nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really been a shoe person--unless you count beloved Chuck Taylors. Or Keds, those have been my go-to for my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that's a bittersweet story about your mom and Ricky. I think my first crush was Clint Eastwood when he played Rowdy Yates on Rawhide; I'm embarrassed to admit, there've been others -- right up to my mid-40's. I was talking to one of Tom's nurses about shoes, and discovered we both have a passion for Brooks sneakers. Unlike her 6, I've only one pair -- but it sure beats the high heels I had to wear. Truth be told, I'd probably break an ankle if I had to wear them now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live way out in the Country and way off the road with a fence and gate. No one can get to our front door. They call first. *grin*
    I'm told my eyes and smile are one of my best features. My smile better be as I've had braces twice! Gotta get my money's worth.
    Hope you're feeling better today. Stay warm and safe.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody uses my front door, either. I always thought we should have turned the house around when we built it, but at the time the in thing was to face the house outward on the hill, so the front would be towards the road. But that means everyone comes in the back door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son was a huge Frank Sinatra fan. Sinatra was giving a concert in Reno and I treated Paul to the concert so he could see him "live" and then Sinatra canceled the concert and died a few days later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We only have a front door. My first home had a side door and we always used that because of the long driveway. I sure miss that first home. It was unique and built in the 1930's. I understand the eye thing. One droops more than the other. I wish they could be the same droop! That story of your mom was a good one. I am glad you like your job and I am sure the clients love having you there with them too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A birthday party for the dog sounds like fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. Celebrating your mom's dog's birthday is just great!! Stacy, I enjoyed your answers to today's 9. Wishing you blessings in the year ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to a dog's birthday party, but I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...