Friday, February 23, 2024

Saturday 9: Shambala

Yay! This is my favorite Three Dog Night song, but I have to say I actually like Toby Keith's cover of it better. Either way, a great song. Feel free to join in the fun here.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song refers to the mythical kingdom of Shambala. Can you think of another song that mentions to faraway, mythical land?  Xanadu is the only one I can think of.

2) "Shambala" is performed by Three Dog Night. The name is derived from an Aboriginal Australian legend. In the outback, hunters would sleep with a dog beside them. If it was very cold, they would sleep between two dogs. If it was freezing -- you guessed it -- it was a three dog night. Was it cold last night where you are?  Cold is sort of relative. For us it was not that cold, only in the low 40's. For some of you down south or out on the west coast that is probably cold.

3) The lead singer is the late Cory Wells. Early in his career he was a member of the house band at the famous Sunset Strip nightclub Whiskey-A-Go-Go. Cory was a bit of an anomaly at "The Whiskey" because of his sober lifestyle. When did you most recently enjoy an adult beverage?  Uh-mmm....New Year's Eve, I think.

4) Bandmate Danny Hutton auditioned to be a member of The Monkees TV show. He didn't get the part. While he was a talented singer-songwriter, NBC was looking for musicians who could also act. Have you ever fantasized about a career as a performer?  Maybe as a kid, but never seriously. I really don't enjoy getting up in front of people.

5) Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys was an early supporter of Three Dog Night's. What's your favorite Beach Boys song?  



6) In 1973, when this song was popular, one of the best-selling toys Curious George plush doll packaged with a Curious George book. Can you recall a favorite book from your childhood?  I was a voracious reader even as a kid, but a few standouts are Dr. Goat, The Big Tidy Up, We Were Tired of Living in a House, Anna Karina and the Box...and later I couldn't get enough of Margeurite Henry's horse books, The Black Stallion series, and all of the mystery series like Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and Trixie Beldon.

7) The Exorcist was in theaters, terrifying audiences. It's still ranked among the scariest movies of all time. Have you seen it? Did it scare you?  Nope, haven't seen and never intend to see it.

8) Roller skates were a big seller in 1973. While most rinks had skates available for rent, committed skaters had their own pair. Are you better on roller skates or ice skates?  I stink at both, but slightly less so on roller skates.

9) Random question -- Here's $100. What will you spend it on?  Probably books or something for the grandchildren.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy, We saw Exorcist the first year of college when it came out. I still have my Trixie Belden books. I am reading my Left Behind books. Maybe I should read the Trixie Belden before I donate them. I just gave a bunch of children's books to my neighbor. My granddaughter wants to be a writer. Hope you are doing well with what happened at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Trixie Beldon books! I enjoyed reading your answers Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Trixie Belden, too, but didn't like her as well as Nancy Drew. I also liked the Hardy Boys & read all the Black Stallion books that the library offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, I probably liked the Hardy Boys best.

      Delete
  4. Three Dog Night was one of my fav groups in the 70s, along with The Monkee's etc. All those songs bring back memories.
    I stay away from horror now also. I wish I'd never watched any of them. They don't please God, I'm sure.
    If I had an extra $100 I think I'd give it to a local fella that's struggling. He's 56, losing his vision to cataracts and now can't work. Not his fault. He's not doing drugs or tat's or drinking. There's about a dozen of us in the community trying to help him as best we can. He wants to go back to work!
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great book choices. It seems most of us liked to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved t he Trixie Belden series--mostly because she wasn't rich like Nancy Drew was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was part of it. Trixie was someone I could identify with.

      Delete
  7. I also loved Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon when I was a tween. I had a Mary Poppins book in first grade. Darby O'Gill and the Little People was probably second grade. Disney wasn't a thing when I was a youngster. Mickey Mouse Club when I was a bit older. This was a fun S9!! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #1 My pick also!
    #6 I hated reading until someone turned me on to science fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...