Thursday, February 22, 2024

Thankful Thursday: There Is Always Something to Be Thankful About

It's been a rough week at work.

If you remember, I shared in my previous post about "Artimus," one of my clients. He collapsed in the hallway on Monday and quickly became unresponsive. CPR was begun and it continued for close to half an hour and was still being given when the EMT's loaded him up and took him to the hospital. He had shown no response at that point. We learned via a text from our boss that night that he was in ICU on a respirator.

I am thankful we have trained people on staff who were able to help "Artimus" almost right away.

I am thankful for the EMT's and firemen who responded to the 911 call.

Yesterday we learned that "Artimus" had had to be resuscitated again Tuesday evening. We also learned that a brain scan showed no activity. "Artimus's" only relative, a sister living in Texas, put a Do Not Resuscitate order in place after that.

Today we learned that "Artimus" passed away last night. He was an organ donor and they kept him on the respirator until his sister arrived to say goodbye and to remove the viable organs.

I am thankful the sister did not prolong his life.

I am thankful that "Artimus," who loved to give to others was able to keep giving even in his death.

I am thankful that by this morning his liver had already been transplanted into someone in Ohio.

We also found that those of us who were with "Artimus" in the moments leading up to Monday's collapse and in the moments following would have to speak to an investigator today. Nerves were frayed and it didn't help that one of the bosses was basically telling us what to say...which was a lie. Caseworkers continue to flood the place during lunch to observe. (From what I can gather, it's unclear whether "Artimus" aspirated and that caused a heart attack or if he had a heart attack and then aspirated.) 

I am thankful the investigator was very nice and told us up front he was not investigating us, but rather the company and employees who ran the group home "Artimus" lived in.

I am thankful I was able to tell the truth and still protect my employer and my coworker who was "Artimus's" staff that day.

The big boss told all the clients today about "Artimus's" passing and told us there will be no funeral because the sister is the only family there is. However, his sister asked if there could be a memorial service for him at work tomorrow, because he loved his job and his friends and staff there.

I am thankful his sister thought to do a memorial service. 

I am thankful those who probably knew "Artimus" best will have the chance to gather to remember and say goodbye.

I am glad tomorrow will be the end of a long, rough week. 








7 comments:

  1. Oh Stacy, I am sorry to hear that. I am sure he was blessed by you all. Nice that there will be a little memorial for him. Praying you get through Friday and rest on the weekend.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Stacy. Sounds like things were very stressful for many people in your world this week. So sorry to hear of Artemis' passing but I am glad that he has gone home to Jesus and that he was able to bless others with life in his passing. Sounds like you handled the questioning well. I hope you can have a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about Artimus, but, yes, it's good that his sister did not prolong the inevitable. Steve and I have signed DNR's too. I want it known I do NOT want to be put on a respirator. Ever. I believe in Jesus. Just let me go to Him. Harvest whatever they want. I'm not there anymore.
    Hope you're still feeling good. Try not to overdo and rest when possible.
    Love & hugs for a less eventful Friday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad to hear. I think the memorial sounds like a wonderful idea. Have a peaceful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about the loss of Artimus...but what a wonderful gift he gave! Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so hoping for a different outcome, but God had a better plan. Artimus' last gift, wow. He was a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Stacy, for telling us how this very sad story had to end. I, too, am glad that there will be a memorial service, giving those who knew him and worked with him, a chance to say good-bye. A celebration of life, too, for his life and for the lives that will be saved by his organ donations.

    ReplyDelete

Currently...

I'm feeling the need to check in and let you know what's up in my corner of the world. I am still not back in a regular way and rema...